It's Happened Again...

These people who keep wacking other people really need to start checking coords on GC.com. It's going to be pretty "funny" when some guy gets busted because they traced a body back to him that was supposed to be "hidden" forever. :D

Seriously though, sucks. It's too bad people feel the need to kill other people.

did the finder get the coords necrocaching.com? "where you are the homicide detective"

"found cache, seemed that the coordinates are off. wow, nice hide, where did you guys get such a realistic looking dummy? Smells right too. Took where's george dollar from wallet, left scented pinetree for your car, couldn't find the logbook... where is it?"

...alright, that's my way of dealing with disgusting awful thoughts, try to make a laugh out of them. but, wow.... what an awful experience, especially for a kid :/ I get really freaked out by an open casket at a funeral, and... that's clean, and doesn't smell, and has makeup... and you -expect- to see it, ughgh. Wow, that poor kid, ouish!

Well, on the other hand, thats another family that now no long has the anguish of wondering where their loved one is anymore. Finally get some closure. ;)

If this keeps up, we'll be eventually hearing at least one scary story somewhere where a geocacher either witnessed or stopped someone from BECOMING a dead body someplace... :D Yikes!

Edited by Sparrowhawk
If this keeps up, we'll be eventually hearing at least one scary story somewhere where a geocacher either witnessed or stopped someone from BECOMING a dead body someplace...  :D  Yikes!

Ok now for the good question. What is a Geocacher going to use to stop "someone from BECOMING a dead body someplace" ??

I can hear it now, a cacher scares a homicidal maniac from the scene of a possible murder by scaring the maniac with his bag of swag. I don't think this will work, maybe I should carry some heat, and I'm not talking about something to make my sore cache muscles feel good after a little hike in the hills.

If this keeps up, we'll be eventually hearing at least one scary story somewhere where a geocacher either witnessed or stopped someone from BECOMING a dead body someplace...  ;)  Yikes!

Ok now for the good question. What is a Geocacher going to use to stop "someone from BECOMING a dead body someplace" ??

I can hear it now, a cacher scares a homicidal maniac from the scene of a possible murder by scaring the maniac with his bag of swag. I don't think this will work, maybe I should carry some heat, and I'm not talking about something to make my sore cache muscles feel good after a little hike in the hills.

Well, you could always 'call' the authorities with your Garmin or Magellan 'cell phone'! :D

Not to spoil everyones fun here, but it is possible that friends or family members of this gentleman may be geocachers as well and should they stumble on this thread it would be quite insulting :D . Especially if it turns out this man was a geocacher himself on the way to the same cache when he stumbled accross something he shouldn't have or became the unfortunate victim of a robbery and/or car jacking.

Just my two cents worth.

Not to ruin your attempt to rain on people's parade but SO WHAT?

Yes. Someone who knew this person will read this thread. They need to realize that while this is not how they need to deal with what happened this is how we need to deal with what is rapidly becoming a factor in geocaching.

People die. Some of them are people I love. Some of them are people I don't. Just like everyone else in the world I laugh at some, cry at others and make jokes to deal with the pain.

And yes, PAIN IS FUNNY, especially when it's someone else's. The three stooges were all about pain. Comedies about dead people are regulars at the box office, from Club Dread to Weekend at Bernies.

If I don't have a lot of respect for the living, don't expect me to have respect for the dead. Because I'm pretty sure the dead don't really care a lot about respect anymore. I'm sorry, but they get a lot of perks that are probably wasted on them, from the comfort padding of the coffin to the red lights they get to run (like they're suddenly in a hurry to get to where they're going).

Deal with the dead in your way, and let us deal with it in ours.

Not to spoil everyones fun here, but it is possible that friends or family members of this gentleman may be geocachers as well and should they stumble on this thread it would be quite insulting :unsure: . Especially if it turns out this man was a geocacher himself on the way to the same cache when he stumbled accross something he shouldn't have or became the unfortunate victim of a robbery and/or car jacking.

Just my two cents worth.

I know, we should be really careful to talk about anything. If it isn't G rated and respectful we'd best just keep our mouths short.

There are millions of people in the US, very few cachers. You really think they'll read about it here? What are the odds?

Wanna bet???

Well, to fair - so far it has happened once. I think this is where the concern came from. In that particular case, once I knew, I backed off. You'll have to do a search, I forgot the username.

I think I know which one you are talking about, n00b. I read it too. It was sad. The people that were related to the dead man asked that no pictures be posted of him. It's pretty sad to think that someone actually had to request that because I almost guarantee that had they not, pics would have been posted.

Put yourself in the families shoes for a minute and imagine how you would react to a thread like this about your loved one.

Put yourself in the families shoes for a minute and imagine how you would react to a thread like this about your loved one.

I wouldn't be reading it for one thing.

That's the thing that got to me about last time. He was 100% guaranteed to be offended by what he read and he read it anyway.

If you're an Iraqi citizen and you see a story about soldiers geocaching in Iraq there's a good solid chance that something there is going to offend you, especially if "finding WMD" jokes offend you.

If you're a collector of McDonald's toys, there's a decent chance almost any thread about junk filled caches will offend you.

In this case, people are joking about a painful and scary situation. And that's how people have always dealt with painful and scary situations, they've joked about it.

Just like with TV: If you're offended change the channel or turn it off. No on is forcing you to read it.

Edited by bons