Gps Springboard Visor Module

The Wit

When we first started out my team mate had one of these. It is a bit expensive for something that is not very rugged. It takes additional batteries (AAA), it does not offer the popular "compass" screen that you find on every other handeheld GPS, and its not weatherproof. If I recall correct. the Visor has built in NiMh batteries, so if your pda runs out of juice in the middle of the woods, you do not have the luxury of popping in a fresh set...or maybe you do?

The plusses of this unit is that it is very accurate. Many times Krs would be hovering over the cache location and find it while my eTrex had me looking 30 feet away. Also, another plus to the PDA is the amount of free software that is out there. You can download free maps, free GPS apps and all kinds of stuff so you are not limited to one proprietary company for software.

If you do decide on getting one of these, look into getting yourself sometype of weatherproof case or pouch that will hold both the PDA & GPS module, this way if your ever caught in the rain or other water hazard arrises, you have a means of keeping it dry.

Good Luck!

Keep us posted!!

Kar of TS!!

I have been using a Magellan GPS companion on my recyled(for caching) Visor. Been testing it out for caching and carrying it along with my regular GPSr the last couple weeks.

Found our first caches using only it a few days ago. We were carrying the Visor anyway for cache listings so it makes a PERFECT add-on. First satellite 3d-Fix sometimes a bit longer than our Merigreen but once it locks it seems to track sats very well.

The Visor uses Cachemate which allows us to store hundreds of cache listings on the old 8mb Visor. The accompanying CacheNav program does the navigation/sat info work. A great cheap combo for us.

The Visor I have and the Magellan GPS companion both use AAA's so I use rechargeable NIMHs for those too.