Creating my first cache...

Desert_Warrior

Howdy Y-all,

I am working on creating my first cache. I have found a great place for it. It is a 3 mile hike one way in the Franklin Mountains, but in the foothills... not a lot of climbing.

I am looking for suggestions for items to put in it. What to use for a logbook... any other info to include? Suggested paper to tell what it is should a non-geocacher find it... etc. Since we are in the desert, I will include a bottle of water in it. Looking for any-all help.

Thanks.

Mike - KD9KC

There is an online tutorial linked from the Hide/Seek A Cache page: http://www.geocaching.com/articles/making.asp

For the stash note, check out this link I found on the tutorial page:

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/stashnote.doc

When I place a cache, I just go to WalMart and get a small, cheap, spiral-bound notebook. Then, I add a pen, a couple pencils, and a disposable camera. I try to put some little thing in the box for different age groups (mini flashlight, screwdriver multitool, a stuffed toy, a compass/whistle, glow sticks, stickers, stick-on tattoos, etc.

-Brett

For mine, I sprang for the click-pencils with the retractible leads so you don't have to worry about someone breaking the pencil and then no one can write in the log books.

It's not much of an issue now, but don't just leave pens in your cache as they will freeze during the winter (or even in the desert, depending on how cold it gets at night) and be unusable.

If you're stumped for stuff, try going to your local dollar store. You can usually find some pretty nifty stuff (tools, toys, books, etc.), a lot of which looks like it is worth much more than a dollar.

I usually leave a Where's George dollar as well.

I put the log book in its own zip-lock bag, and put the cache items in a much bigger bag. Make sure the second bag is as big as you can find, because even if all your items fit, the items that other people leave might not fit, and then the bag doesn't get closed properly. You might consider leaving an extra empty bag, just in case.

icon_wigogeocaching.gif chezpic.gif

I'm always on the lookout for cheap stuff to put in caches. Among the items I've put in are: rolls of film, fresh AA batteries (some GPS's eat batteries for lunch), matchbox cars, new emergency ponchos ($1.99 at Walmart), decks of cards, fishing lures, American flags and flag patches, gently used books, area maps and whatever else fits. I try to make sure the items are new or like new and might be of use to someone.

Water is OK, but any other food is not.

Skorpyon and I went to the "Dollar Store" and just made a small $5.00 purchase of little nick-nacks. The one thing that you do need is a good working pen/pencil and ziplock baggies. When you start hunting for caches, you can move objects around from one site to the other.

Good luck.

KB5YUE

phantom

"DOH!" -- Homer Simpson

If you are going to locate the cache 3 miles in, spend the time and money to use an ammo can to insure it won't be disturbed by animals. Even though it is common sense to not put food in caches, it amazes me how often people still do it. Also consider spending a little extra money to include some nice items to reward the first few cachers that invested the time to hike the six miles.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."

-Douglas Adams

a small block pencil sharpener should be placed in there to keep the pencil sharp. I like finding things like unusual pins, and little gadget type items. You can find small jig saw puzzles too, about the size of pack of cards. Card games, trading cards, old coins, etc.

Have fun, and remember to keep your cache restocked and check it ever so often to make sure it's not disturbed.

Reddfrogg

Lots of great suggestions. It will be in an ammo can, a bigger 50 cal can. I am a big-time competitive shooter, I do have ammo cans. In fact, I was at the gun show yesterday and bought 5 more. Also, everything is in zip-lock bags, except for the two bottles of water and the cache note.

What is in it? First, 4 documents. They are called: "B-36 Crash", "Mount Cristo Rey", "The El Paso Tin Mines", and "Secrets of the Franklin Mountains". These are all about different sights in the local mountains. Since I hope to place this cash at the Tin Mines, there is an extra Tin Mine document marked DO NOT REMOVE in the box. I have also noted that cache-finders can E-mail me for electronic copies if they do not want to carry the paper out. Lots of research and history there.

Next, I have included 3 copies of a small book, "The declaration of Independance and The Constitution of the United States". 3 copies of "The 10 commandments of Desert Survival". Beer Coasters from the Fort Bliss Air Defence Center. A small stuffed Armadillo, screwdriver, survival whistle, globe paper weight, union stickers, communications patch, matchbox atv, pocket calculator, 4 AA batteries, tire air press gage, small pocker knife, handmade keychain, zoo keychains, one w/ a flashlight on it, a mouse pad, sunglasses, and a baseball cap. Also included is 3 extra zip-lock bags, 2 mechanical pencils, 2 pens, and the log book.

Fishing lures are a waste out here, nearest lake is 100 miles away.

I don't know about the "George" dollars, and don't have the time to learn about something new right now.

I think it is a good first attempt. Thank you all for helping, I have learned a lot. I hope this cache is worth the trip, but I think the real treasure is seeing the only Tin Mines in the United States. If you come looking for this cache, bring water, and a flashlight. Now I am just waiting for the OK from the park administrator to place it.

Y-all have a great day, and thanks sgsin.

Mike. KD9KC.