Interpretation Of Rules

TeamK-9

I've always thought the thing about rules were how you interpreted them. And so that's why I'm asking for everyone elses interpretation on the rules:

Specifically this section of the Cache Placement Guidelines:

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location.

I've heard from several prominent cachers that in parks where there is no apparent manager/operator of the park they just place it, under the theory that it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission. For example, a cache location that I am currently looking at is on land owned by my town, however the town has no specific parks commission, and my request to place a cache would have to go directly to the town council, and for them it would be easier to just deny permission out of ignorance than to research geocaching to find out more.

Like I said, if a cache is hidden well, it can go for years without being found by a muggle and/or causing problems.

So my question is what is your interpretation of this rule, and how litterally do you take it?

And feel free to not refer to your own practices directly if your afraid of being beaten down by an admin...

For example, a cache location that I am currently looking at is on land owned by my town, however the town has no specific parks commission, and my request to place a cache would have to go directly to the town council, and for them it would be easier to just deny permission out of ignorance than to research geocaching to find out more.

In this case I would say that if you are a tax payer in this town, you have permission.

For example, a cache location that I am currently looking at is on land owned by my town, however the town has no specific parks commission, and my request to place a cache would have to go directly to the town council, and for them it would be easier to just deny permission out of ignorance than to research geocaching to find out more.

In this case I would say that if you are a tax payer in this town, you have permission.

k-9 is not a tax payer, but his parents are, yes place it, town parks and road right of ways are two places I would never think twice

Is there a policy that says I can't play frisbee in the park?

Is there a policy that says I can?

If the answer to both questions is "no", then go ahead and play. It obviously has little enough of an impact on the park that they didn't waste their time making a policy one way or another.

edit: spelling

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
Okay, then I guess I'd like to see one or two of the approvers voice their interpretation of the proper permission rule...

Why? You either certify you have the permission or you don't. If you do should the approver question your judgment, especially if you have proven to be at least an average member of the geocaching community? You as the owner are responsible. Not the site, not the approver, not your finders.

The only time an approver should ever ask the question (since you are certifying it to even submit the cache) is if they have specific knowledge of an area that has a no cache policy or has asked that approvers make a special effort of some type.

Okay, then I guess I'd like to see one or two of the approvers voice their interpretation of the proper permission rule...

Why? You either certify you have the permission or you don't. If you do should the approver question your judgment, especially if you have proven to be at least an average member of the geocaching community? You as the owner are responsible. Not the site, not the approver, not your finders.

The only time an approver should ever ask the question (since you are certifying it to even submit the cache) is if they have specific knowledge of an area that has a no cache policy or has asked that approvers make a special effort of some type.

...or if your name is Ringbone :D

I'm certain Criminal will enthusiastically reply, but keep in mind that he'll provide only one cacher's opinion. There are many of us who feel that the game is better served by not having any caches placed without permission.

Fortunately we have conscience geocachers who are willing to wring their hands for everyone. If you’re going to mention me by name, at least know my position. :D

I'm still pretty new to this, and maybe have chosen to err on the side of caution. One cache I've placed is in a little local "conservancy area". A place with trails but not well maintained or well known and not defined as a "park". My search for permission led through several people at Town Hall which led me to someone called the town conservancy chairman. I'm sure the number I got for him led me to his home, so he doesn't even have an office. I got a "Huh?" then "Sure, sounds like fun." response.

So I do wonder if getting permission in this case was overkill.

The other cache was placed on the grounds of an historic home/mini museum. There I got permission from the live-in caretakers to place the cache on the grounds and definitely felt permission was a necessary courtesy, even though there are several letterboxes already in the area.

So I guess my opinion now is- it depends greatly on the site you've chosen.

Edited by Blipple