Photos Of Witness Posts And Markers

DustyJacket

I updated my web page which has photos of Witness Posts and Survey Markers.

http://www.dustyjacket.com/benchmarks.html

I originally created this, because there was lots of talk about witness posts, but never any photos. With the generous contributions of others, this page has grown large.

Today, I added a limestone block, disk in a chiseled cross, 2 cairns, and more.

Enjoy.

Thank you Dusty.

I appreciate this site. I especially like seeing the RIVET which I claimed to have found at KV1366 while on a business trip to NJ. I didn't have a camera to document it but am now happy to know that I really did see one. Please keep up this site !

OK everyone.

I just did a rough reorganization.

Now there are separate pages for:

- Explanations

- Witness Posts

- Older (Ancient?) Markers

- Disks from agencies on the "federal" level

- Private or Local Government Markers

- Non-disk or Unusual Markers (This is where I put the "current" rod-type of marker, although it is not unusual.

Sometime in the future, I will change the format of the pages, but not right now.

Well, I finally got off my rear end, and updated the pages with all the cotributions since May.

I added a page for Markers outside the USA (the UK for now, but I hope to receive photos from other countries.)

We now have an intact Cairn, and many more.

Plust, there are links to two pages of drawings of various disks - images created by the NGS.Thank you for all those who donated. The pages are looking better these days, and will hopefully help those wondering what these things look like.

Just jut put up a few more, from:

France, Scotland, and England (including from the Greenwich Observatory)

On the last two, you get to hunt for the marks in their natural settings. It took me a few moments to find them.

Thanks to Jeremy (probably not Jeremy Irish)

I like these different markers that aren't the standard disk shape.

Edited by DustyJacket

I found an interesting survey mark on one of my geocaching trips today, but according to the NGS database there are no benchmarks within a mile of this. It is a red disk with a PK rod driven in, and the disk reads "TRAV. PT. LB 7001"

Any ideas?

Coords were N28°05.776' W081°49.343'

SWB

I found a Brase disk that looks very similar to NGS in size. It was drilled and inserted into granite slab. Slab was part of a small bridge in Acadia NAtional Park

garden. Asked park ranger they did not have a clue. The only marks on the disk were the rasied letters BM. Does anyone know if this could be a BM. I have a picture but im new to this a cannot see any way to download it from here into the postings. Im going to post this on the board also but this looked to be the best thread.