GPS accuracy....

Ualramprat

The eMap does not utilize WAAS data. The Garmin listed accuracy for the eMap is 15 meters (49 feet). This is typical for GPS signals with SA turned off. With WAAS, the expected accuracy once its fully working, and assuming minimal errors would be less than 3 meters.

Your quote of 15.6 feet is less than 5 meters. This is three times better than the typical accuracy stated by Garmin. I realize that GPS units often get readings even more accurate than the typical accuracy attributed to the device, but given the various error factors that cause readings to deviate from perfection, including signal delay and the atmosphere, I don't think that you are going to do much better given a non-corrected GPS signal.

New batteries wont make a difference. Accuracy of 15.6 feet is probably very very good unless other people with the same unit have gotten consistently more accurate readings in similar conditions.

quote:
Originally posted by Ualramprat:

KMy Garmin e-map will only get accurate to about 15.6 feet. I have tried new batteries.

Can anyone give any help?????

Riff, consider yourself lucky. I have a Garmin GPS V and I can't remember any time I've seen less than 19' accuracy. (At least that is what is showing on the unit.) I don't think those accuracy numbers are very reliable. For instance, last week while I was seaching for a cache, my satelite acuracy was showing 19' and my GPS unit indicated I had 5' to the cache. I put my GPS V down to let it settle in and I put it right on top of the cache. Not even 1 inch off!!! Your unit will get you to the right area with no problem. If the gps units were accurate to the foot, I think a lot of the fun would be taken away from the sport and you would have no use for the "cheater hints" either. Have Fun.

Keep in mind that you are gauging you accuracy on a cache location that was set by another GPS which itself is not terribly accurate. The real test would be to compare your unit to some known, fixed, monument. In Goecaching, getting into the neighborhood will have to do.

Not sure what type of accuracy you were expecting but 16 feet is well and truely with the system spec (13m @ 95% SIS) besides that figure is an Estimated Position Error (EPE) with the key word being "estimated".

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Not sure what type of accuracy you were expecting but 16 feet is well and truely with the system spec (13m @ 95% SIS) besides that figure is an Estimated Position Error (EPE) with the key word being "estimated".

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

Cheers, Kerry.

I always snicker a bit when someone says that there GPS tells then exactly how accurate it is.

If a GPS can tell you exactly how much error it has then it would have to know its exact posistion in relation to the posistion where it is suppos to be. Then it would never have any error because it would be able to report its exact posistion.

- Lone Rangers

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

Cheers, Kerry.

I always snicker a bit when someone says that there GPS tells then exactly how accurate it is.

If a GPS can tell you exactly how much error it has then it would have to know its exact posistion in relation to the posistion where it is suppos to be. Then it would never have any error because it would be able to report its exact posistion.

- Lone Rangers