Software For The Sportrak Map

I have a SporTrak Map GPSr and I was wondering what kind of software I can get to work with it. I know that the Magellan MapSend software line will work but I've heard about how inaccurate/outdated it is so I'm a little leary about spending all that money. From what I've seen I really like the National Geographic Topo! software. Will it work with my GPSr? It's not listed on the compatibility page, but they have a lot of seemingly comparable receivers listed. Most of them are "high end" but they list some of the lower-end and older receivers too.

Isn't the SporTrak series based on the Magellan 315 with the added WAAS features? If so I think it should work, but I'd really like to have some reassurance before I plunk down more money.

Please don't tell me to sell the GPSr and get a Garmin or a Meridian Gold/Platinum. :o I really really like this receiver and for the price I paid it's not a bad little machine.

There are some software pacakges that will allow you to plot routes and add waypoints to their maps, and then upload your routes or waypoints to the GPSr, but if you're talking exclusively about uploading maps and map details (i.e. contour lines, street maps, points of interest etc.) directly to your SporTrak (so you can see the detail on your GPS screen), then the Magellan MapSend software is the only package you can get that can be uploaded to the Magellan receivers.

The same holds true for the Garmin receivers - only Garmin's MapSource maps can be uploaded to compatible Garmin mapping receivers. So no-one can tell you that a different receiver is better for mapping etc. - it's all up to the maps that Magellan and Garmin have available.

Thanks. I'm aware of the map transferring limitations, and the SporTrak Map doesn't really have a large enough memory for any detail anyway, so the only thing I was looking for was the ability to transfer routes/waypoints. Then I could print off a topo map to carry as backup in case the batteries fail or the GPSr can't contact the satellites for some reason.

So with that in mind, do you think the National Geographic Topo! software or even the Delorme Topo would work?

Edited by tgourley