Can't Break My Old Garmin

bnolan

Here is the situation. I have an old Garmin III+ that just won't die. I have tried dropping it, letting it fall out of my pocket into a puddle, even letting my children hold it while rock climbing. The worst it gets is a few more scratches.

This creates a problem, because I am drooling over all of the newer GPSrs that have come out since the III+ (especially the color ones.) But I can't justify buying a new GPS until my old one gives up the ghost. I might have to try leaving it on top of the truck while I drive off.

Let's suppose I manage to kill the III+. Now I have a new dilemma: which unit to choose. I'll probably stick with Garmin just because I already have the Garmin Topo and Road and Rec software. ( BTW I think Magellans are great too ).

Garmin V deluxe - Plusses: Same form factor as III+ (which I really like), comes with City Select autorouting map software. Can use all the cables and external antenna that I already have. Minuses: Not Color, only 19 meg of memory. (Of course compared to my current 1.4 meg of memory, that is huge.)

Garmin GPSMAP 60C - Plusses: Color!!! More memory. Minuses: Does not come with autorouting maps, I understand the basemap is less detailed than the V+, Would have to get a new dash mount and bike mount. Couldn't use current external antenna.

Garmin GPSMAP 76C - Plusses: Color!!! Even More memory!. Floats. Minuses: Kinda big. Does not come with autorouting maps. Would need new dash mount and bike mount. Couldn't use external antenna.

So please, kind members of this forum, help me decide what to do.

My ideal choice would be a GPS V deluxe with a color screen and more memory. What are the chances of that happening?

Garmin GPSMAP 60C - Minuses: Couldn't use current external antenna.

Garmin GPSMAP 76C - Minuses: Couldn't use external antenna.

I know the 60C has an MCX external antenna jack, and I'm pretty sure that the 76C does too. Not sure which external antenna the III+ uses, but they make adapters to fit between the two if they're different :o

We're Garmin users from eMap to Legend to Forerunner 201 and now a 60CS. Since I had all the mapSource software/maps, I thought I'd be set for the 60CS only to find that to take maximum advantage of its autorouting capaibilities (which are way cool!) that I'd need to buy some more software.

You might need to factor that into your decision making as well.

Team Geo-Jedi

I cannot speak for the durability of the 60 series cause I do not own one, but I can agree with you that the design of the III+/V is very durable. I own a V and it has taken a lickin' on a few occasions and it still works perfect.

Positives of the V: Autorouting, rotating screen, quad antenna, external antenna ability and durability and comes with Mapsource City Select.

Negatives of the V: 19mb memory, takes 4 AA batts (15hrs life avg, for me with very little backlight) Slow Serial map uploads (45 mins avg.)

Positives of the 60's: Autorouting, color screen, quad antenna, 56mb memory, external antenna ability, USB support (much faster uploads) only 2 AA's (for the same life or more than the V)

Negatives of the 60's: anywhere from $150-200 difference in price (nowadays), and they should have made the screen rotate for easier use in the car. You still need to purchase map software to use with it if you do not currently own any.

All I need is for someone to create a program that will remove all POI's from my Garmin maps and then the 19mb of memory in my V will be sufficient for one set of maps that would rarely ever get changed.

Kar of TS!!

Edited by Team Shibby

Ive gotten more out of a GPS V, then any other GPS, and its pretty acurate too, but it's one of the most attacked by the Magellan people in this forum. Even the Magellan people like the 60C/CS more than the GPS V. My GPS 60C is not waterproof around the USB port, there seems to be a gap, so the rubber cover has to protect it well.

Instead of breaking the GPS, you can make it a First-To-Find prize in a cache you place.

Maps? Color? We don' need no stinking MAPS! Our GPSIII (no +) is still our numba one! We just mentally tack another half star on the difficulty for the mapless approach and cache on! We thought about upgrading to the III+ or even the V but like you say, those old units just don't wear out very well!

Most of our friends here are Maggies, they wouldn't have any of the new Garmins except maybe the Legends.

I seriously hope that you are joking...  If you're not, then give it to someone who can't afford one or at least sell it. Please don't be so wasteful.

Of course I am joking. Each of the drops, dunks, scrapes and scratches has been accidental and I cringed each time it happened.

I must admit, however, that I am a little disappointed when I find it still works after each accident, since breakage would be an automatic qualifying event for a new GPSr.

Don't worry, when I do buy a new unit the III+ will still get plenty of use. It will still be my unit of choice when scrambling up cliffs, mountain biking or kayaking in rapids. It will also be the unit I hand to the kids when they want to run ahead and be the first to the cache. In fact, I probably wouldn't let the new unit out of the truck, which is a big factor in me not buying one yet.

So anyway, I was joking about breaking my GPS, but I would like peoples opinions about the relative merits of the new GPSr units I mentioned. Thanks for the comments already posted. But I still have questions: How important is color? Would I really care about autorouting in Pocatello Idaho? Is the 76C going to be so big I don't want to cary it around? Are the newer units considerably less sturdy, or does the III+ feel more solid because of the weight of the 4 batteries? Will the price drop any more on the V deluxe if I wait? Where did the movers pack my serial cable? (oops, that's another thread.)

Edited by bnolan

The GPSmap 76CS, and others of the 76 series from Garmin, are a bit longer top to bottom, but, to me, make up for this in a thinner depth. This makes it easy to slide into an inside pocket of a jacket, which is not very hard at all.

Though not as stealthy as a Vista or a Legend, or any other of the eTrex series, the soon-to-be-released GPSmap 76C and 76CS share the brighter color screen, 115MB of internal memory space, and support auto routing. The 76 series also supports fully the BlueChart marine cartography charts as well as the Fishing Hot Spots lake maps for the various states that series supports.

I've looked at the 60C in my local stores, and it's definitely a great unit. I have yet to see the GPSmap 76C or 76CS in stores, yet, so I do not have any firsthand experiences in operating the unit. The 60CS is a Rino lookalike without the triangular hump in the back, it's more rounded with a round clip that slides into one of those cell-phone style belt clips, modeled after commercial radio case fare.

I am researching Garmin's web site to see if this information has been posted. I'll add to this log when I have the information, as well as when I've had a chance to play with the GPSmap 76C or 76CS in my local stores.

I hope this helps.

Warm regards from,

Edited by Firefishe

It is amazing that the Magellan lovers attack the GPS V, when everyone knows that Magellans have that terrible LAG.

I really like my Magellan SportTrak Map, but the lag really caused me problems. I would be waiting for the Magellan to catch up and my better half would be zeroing in on the cache with our old Garmin GPS 12.

I got the opportunity to purchase a GPS V at a reasonable price (the former owner was too confused by all its features) and have only fired up the Magellan a couple of times since.

Mags are great devices, and I would still be using it and letting the lag catch up with me, if my partner in crime was not so good with the GPS 12.

I reallly cannot understand though why owners of either brand attack owners of the other brand. I guess it is just the equivalent to the Ford/Chevy feud among car owners.

Thanks for all the Adventures :)

but it's one of the most attacked by the Magellan people in this forum.

Really? It's in there with the Garmin's I do like. I hate the eTrex's. They have their place, but it's not in my hand. The 60C/CS looks cool, but not extremely durable.

I really like the V. It feels very rugged. I would rather not have a funky antenna wobbling around on top, but I would rather have that than a patch.

Even the Magellan people like the 60C/CS more than the GPS V

No offense, but it seems EVERYONE (almost) likes the 60C/CS or the 76C's better than the V. There are definitely better things about the V, but in most people's points of view, the 60 has color, more memory, etc.

Ive gotten more out of a GPS V, then any other GPS, and its pretty acurate too, but it's one of the most attacked by the Magellan people in this forum. Even the Magellan people like the 60C/CS more than the GPS V. My GPS 60C is not waterproof around the USB port, there seems to be a gap, so the rubber cover has to protect it well.

Instead of breaking the GPS, you can make it a First-To-Find prize in a cache you place.

The USB connection should be a filled in sealed unit from the inside even if you see a gap in the outside it should most definitely be waterproof.

OK, I did it. Last night I ordered the 76C.

Kind of like washing the car to make it rain, I knew if I placed an order, the next week they would come out with the replacement to the V. This happened when I bought the III+. I had been agonizing over the decision between the III+ (for the maps) and the e-trex (for the small size). About a month after I bought the III+, they came out with the e-trex legend. If I had waited I could have had more memory and the small size.

So in a few weeks I expect an announcement for the GPS VI+ with color screen, SD cards for map memory and an electric pencil sharpener (much more useful for geocaching than the 60C.) And it will run for 12 days on 1 AAA.

I think Garmin has been waiting to hear I placed my order before they made their announcement. "Nolan made his move, send out the press release."

So to all of you who benefit from the timing of my purchase, you are welcome.