How Can A Smurf Play The Saxophone?

Stunod asked the question “How does a Smurf, with only 3 fingers (and a thumb) on each hand, play a saxophone with 2 dozen keys?”

How many keys are on a piano? 88! Yet, no one questioned Chopin about how many fingers he had.

In reality, each finger has to play more than one key. The saxophone has an interesting design where the left-hand pinky-finger uses more keys than any other finger. It is responsible for switching between 4 different keys! The right-hand pinky-finger only has 2 keys. The other fingers on either hand only play 1 or 2 keys each. The right thumb doesn't play anything, but helps support the instrument along with the neck strap. The left thumb changes octaves, and on the Bari Sax also plays the lowest note on the horn. The rest of the keys are played with the side of the right hand or the palm of the left one. Now you know :D

You might be wondering what this has to do with Geocaching. I can honestly say, “Absolutely nothing!”

I think I’ve been here long enough that I’m allowed an occasional off-topic post. :D

Oh, all right. This really does have to do with Geocaching, and the forums too. Read on:

Every once in awhile, someone comes in here and says something about people with high post counts. “They must not cache much because they are always posting in the forums” which of course, leads to a response like this or this. Sometimes we even have relatively civil discussions about such things. :o

Well, much like a Smurf with 3 fingers (and a thumb) on each hand playing the 2 dozen keys of a saxophone, many people are able to multi-task. With wireless Internet growing in many areas, this will happen more and more. Now, I type my cache logs into my PDA, then copy them to my PC to upload them to the site. Soon, I will be able to skip the PC and just log "from the field".

I happen to have a job that keeps me inside all day. On a computer. With no caches within a reasonable distance to find during my lunch hour. When I do go caching, I try to take the whole family (team) with me. Well, My wife has a job too and I have 1 child in school. We can only go caching together on Sunday afternoon. Sometimes we have other things planned, since that's really the only time we can do things together. Sure, I can go caching with my 2 youngest children, and sometimes I do, but I'd rather take everyone. We have more fun going caching as a family. The forums are something I do solo, and most of my posting is done from work. If you want to do the math, I go caching twice a month or so but am at a work computer 14 days a month, and at my home computer almost every day for at least a little while, especially after the kids are in bed.

So maybe we shouldn't judge each other based on their appearance, but on what they can do. I've taken what I've learned in the forums and am now approaching land managers to get Geocaching listed as an approved activity in New Mexico State Parks. Maybe my appearance in these forums shows that I have a comment for every subject, and maybe that's true. However, my contributions to Geocaching are completely unrelated to the number of posts I have.

P.S. I hope this was meaningful and well thought out enough for Renegade Knight. :D

Oh wow...have I hit 6000 posts already? :D

However, my contributions to Geocaching are completely unrelated to the number of posts I have.

Oh wow...have I hit 6000 posts already? ;)

Perhaps you got it backwards. The number of post you have here could bery well be related to your contributions to Geocaching. :D

Edited by Lone Duck

Now, I realize that this is going to cause a lot of upset in the forum but it needs to be said. I also realize that many may not believe what I am about to type.

El Smurfenheimer, that is NOTHING TO DO WITH how a smurf would play the saxophone. You see, and you should sit down before reading further, you are not REALLY a smurf. It's an alternative persona that you adopt for the purpose of identification on this and possibly other forums. So you see, you actually have the full issue of fingers required to play the instrument as it was designed.

I, on the other hand, really am a snake. (which is why I do, on occasion, commit a typo to the forum)

:D;):);):D

Edited by bug&snake
Now, I realize that this is going to cause a lot of upset in the forum but it needs to be said. I also realize that many may not believe what I am about to type.

El Smurfenheimer, that is NOTHING TO DO WITH how a smurf would play the saxophone. You see, and you should sit down before reading further, you are not REALLY a smurf. It's an alternative persona that you adopt for the purpose of identification on this and possibly other forums. So you see, you actually have the full issue of fingers required to play the instrument as it was designed.

I, on the other hand, really am a snake. (which is why I do, on occasion, commit a typo to the forum)

:):D:D:D:D

"How can a man with only 10 fingers play a saxophone with 24 keys" didn't have quite the same ring to it :unsure:

So maybe we shouldn't judge each other based on their appearance, but on what they can do.

I wish more people would not just say this, but also live like it.

I suppose that a communication between a guy with horns and a snake means I have to agree with you! :):D:D

You'd better! :unsure:

Edited by Divine
Stunod asked the question[/url] “How does a Smurf, with only 3 fingers (and a thumb) on each hand, play a saxophone with 2 dozen keys?”

It appears you've never heard of Django (Bubba) Clinton. Not only could he play the sax, but veto stuff and keep the interns entertained all at the same time. :)

Stunod asked the question[/url] “How does a Smurf, with only 3 fingers (and a thumb) on each hand, play a saxophone with 2 dozen keys?”

It appears you've never heard of Django (Bubba) Clinton. Not only could he play the sax, but veto stuff and keep the interns entertained all at the same time. :)

That's it! I need some interns! :P

That's it! I need some interns! :P

And some Scotchgard™

It appears you've never heard of Django (Bubba) Clinton. Not only could he play the sax, but veto stuff and keep the interns entertained all at the same time. :D

That's it! I need some interns! :)

And some Scotchgard™

Always pre-treat your stains :D

It appears you've never heard of Django (Bubba) Clinton. Not only could he play the sax, but veto stuff and keep the interns entertained all at the same time. :D

That's it! I need some interns! :D

And some Scotchgard™

Always pre-treat your stains :D

not if you are taking them to a dry cleaner. :)

Yet, no one questioned Chopin about how many fingers he had.

For an appreciation of musical dexterity one must see the movie "The Hollywood Knights". The great actor Robert Wuhl plays Newbomb Turk ( that name wouldn't go over too well in today's climate ). In one scene, Newbomb is a one armed violinist. The slight of hand (or finger) used in this feat reminds one of the finger in Jeremy's avatar. :rolleyes: