First Cache

Feederstork

:o I haven't been to successful in finding my first cache. Is there anyone out there that could give me a few pointers on how to locate my first cache.

I have been only geocaching for about a week. Geo caching is a great way to get outside to enjoy the great outdoors.

Maybe I'll have better luck this weekend

Feederstork :D

Quill what do you mean stay clear of the micros?

Feederstork :o

A micro-cache is a very small container, generally about the size of a 35mm film canister, an Altoids tin, or a magnetic keycase. Sometimes even smaller, did you ever see those keychain containers for nitro pills? Even micros that are rated as a difficulty of "1" can be devilishly difficult to find.

There are many ways to approach this one. We did a virtual cache for our first. It gave us an idea of what the mindset was in doing a cache. That same day we hit a traditional (ammo can) cache. It took us forever. We used the hint and still it took an hour. There is a certain point when you look at that hint (if you prefer) you look at the area and say to yourself "okay" and you jump into it. Just remember, the GPSr can only take you so far, think like a kid (how would I hide something here?) Keep trying, you'll get it!

One mistake I made when I first started was to rely too much on my GPSr. Not only can readings fluctuate somewhat (especially under trees or near other objects what obscure part of the skyline), but the coordiantes for a cache are only as accurate as the person who took them in the first place. Once you become more aquainted with the personality of your GPSr, you'll start snagging caches more readily. Have fun and good luck!

Remember that there is always a small possibility that a non-geocacher (muggle) has found the cache accidentally and hauled it off. If you see several DNF entries in a row on the cache's page (especially if it's like a 1/1) then you'd be right to be a bit suspicious. I have one cache that I've made more then attempt at and it's really busting my chops (it's a 1/1). It's fairly new so of the the four entries on the cache I'm the only one that left a DNF. I'm pretty sure the cache is there and it's just my inexperience that's the problem. On the other hand, there is a cache that I've been watching that currently has 3 DNFs in a row (also a 1/1). I'm not going to try that one till I see another found entry.

If worst comes to worst and the cache refuses to be found drop the cache owner a note and ask for another hint.

I can relate to the poster. I made three visits to one cache and even had a couple of extra hints before I found it (Putt's Button Cache). It was very well done, I just didn't have enough experience with this "game" to know what to look for. It's fun to see how you look at things just a little differently after you've done a few searches . . . why is there a pine cone hanging in an oak tree? Many of the cachers have developed their hides into a high art. That's the fun of it.

Good luck with your searches. Don't be afraid to send an email to the cacher and ask for an additional hint if you need it. Putt practically had to put my hands on his. (I really hate being stupid)