Geocaching In The Cemetery

Yesterday, after searching for (and finding) this geocache:

Step Back In Time

I decided to explore the cemetery. I'm a history geek and have visited probably a thousand cemeteries and have done numerous rubbings of old grave markers and taken thousands of pictures of them. While exploring this pre Civil War era grave yard, which has a variety of grave markers ranging from unmarked rocks stuck vertically in the ground, to hand carved and lettered rocks that mark graves, to traditional granite/marble type of markers, I stumbled onto something that I have never seen used as a grave marker.

What I found was a cast iron headstone. I have spent the past couple of days trying to Google to find information about this type of marker and have not been able to find one that looks like it. Before you look at the pictures, realize that this cast iron marker is about the size of a standard size grave marker you will see in a cemetery. The marker has no lettering on it such as name, date of birth/death, etc. The only thing on the marker is a Masonic symbol.

I am really intrigued by this marker and would like to share it and I'm hoping someone else has seen one like it. Here's some pictures:

Here's the front of the cast iron headstone. Note that the bolts that held it all together have long since rusted away so now it's just propped up on the ground:

castirontombstone1.jpg

Here's a picture where I laid one of the pieces flat on the ground:

castirontombstone2.jpg

Here's the base of the assembly, notice how part of it has rusted away. Also not the Patent Pending verbage:

castirontombstone3.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a marker like this? Can anyone help me research the history of this marker? If you have seen one, what part of the country do you reside? Any info that you could share with me would be appreciated.

Were it not for geocaching, I would miss seeing and learning about some forgotten history of the area where I live (central Alabama). Everytime I think I have seen it all, a geocache takes me to a new place that is largely forgotten about by the general public... I love geocaching!

This cemetery is basically, for all intents and purposes, abandoned. The church near the cemetery appears to have not been used in years. I doubt that there are any existing records. In the same cemetery I also found this unique (at least to me) style of marker:

There are several of these old ceramic style tombstones that I have never seen:

ceramictombstone1.jpg

Look at the patent date on the ceramic tombstone:

ceramictombstone2.jpg

I got the feeling that this was there to indicate that those entombed nearby were of the Masons.

I also thought that, but it's definitely marking a grave. I swear that when (and if) the moratorium on locationless caches is lifted, I'm going to own a locationless for cast iron grave markers (I forbid anyone here to steal my idea :o ).

Believe it or not.....

There was a day when you could buy metal gravemarkers through Sears and Roebuck catalogs. The ones I've seen were sort of a "spire" design (Tall and thin with 4 sides) and fit together with screws that were hidden under metal "buttons." You might have found something similar to that.

Bret

There was a day when you could buy metal gravemarkers through Sears and Roebuck catalogs. The ones I've seen were sort of a "spire" design (Tall and thin with 4 sides) and fit together with screws that were hidden under metal "buttons." You might have found something similar to that.

Hey Bret! Thanks for the info! I'll persue that a line of thinking and see if I can find something similar!

We like the cemetaries too! Very cool marker. It could be a marker for the masonic section. I would also check with the county clerk or city clerk's office (depends on size of the town) they sometimes keep burial records that are specific as to the section of the cemetary. You might consider checking with a local Mason about that section of the cemetary (they are rather secretive :o ). Also, maybe hit the local library and see if they have a book on local cemetaries. The bottom line is that someone owned that burial ground at one time; be it a church, town or private company.

best of luck

The marker is marking a grave.... and most likely the person buried in that location was a mason.... I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen a marker such as the one I found. This may sound cold, but I don't really care who it is that is buried in the grave (may God bless his soul) I'm really just interested in the actual cast iron maker. After visiting cemeteries for years, I have never seen one before yesterday and now I'm obessing over finding info about these types of grave markers.

umm... It did say "pat apl'd for" on the foot, right? Contact the US Patent Office. See if the patent was successful, who it belonged to and then maybe you can track down more. Sounds like a fun adventure. (BTW doesn't sound cold at all) We will keep our eyes open for another one and pass on the info. My partner's family is in the funeral home business, so I'll ask them as well.

Edited by mistaken4sisters

Since we're on the subject of tombstones, you might find these interesting... I found them in the church of Dunkeld in Scotland. I'm also a fan of old tombstones, and these were some of the oldest I found that were still readable:

Tombstone1.JPG

Note how they spelled the name wrong and then had to correct it.

Tombstone2.JPG

Underneath it originally said "Memento Mori"

I believe those iron markers were there to mark plots that were already paid for. Stone would have been inappropriate since the markers were to be removed when the residents were ready to move in and the actual stone markers placed.

I wonder if the location in Alabama and a possible lack of a convenient, regular supply of workable stone played a role in the use of ironand ceramic markers.

I wonder if the location in Alabama and a possible lack of a convenient, regular supply of workable stone played a role in the use of ironand ceramic markers.

That's an interesting hypothesis, but about 15-20 miles away is one of the world's largest marble quarries. In fact, marble quarried from the quarry in Sylacauga was used in the U.S. Supreme Court building.

I really figured that when I posted this to the gc.com forums that I would find that these type markers were very common... apparently I have noticed something that's not all that common.

Looks like there might have been more to this marker at one time and the rest of it was either lost or stolen. I have been doing a little looking around on the net for something to help but can't find much.

http://www.tngenweb.org/darkside/cast-iron.html

http://www.tngenweb.org/darkside/masonic.html

http://www.tngenweb.org/darkside/typology.html

I find old, historical things like this interesting as well, Jeff.

I've found metal spires in Connecticut, Iowa, and Nebraska. The midwest ones have said "White Bronze Casting Company, Des Moines, Iowa".

I would love to know exactly where you found the cast iron masonic gravestone. That would be worth the trip for me.

A cast iron tombstone for a Mason? That's irony. <ba-dum>

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery in Concord, MA, is very pretty. It's on a hill overlooking the town, and there are old stones there. A lot of really thin, unmarked ones, along with a lot of very fancy ones. It's also just a few miles from Walden Pond.

I wrote down the inscription of one particular large stone. I didn't get a date, but it had to be 18th century or older:

"Under this Sepulcheral Stone refts, in chriftian Hope of a blefsed Refurrection, what was mortal of M Abijah Bond

What now but immortality can pleafe"

Edited by Dinoprophet

This is one of my favorite gravestones, from New London, ct. I never did finish the site: http://onlymortal.com/

Ledyard, Connecticut has a bunch of them in out of the way places that are inscribed "murdered by the traitor Arnold" or similar phrases. These are all men who died when Benedict Arnold attacted Fort Griswold. Some of them have more to say about Arnold than the man lying there.

This is one of my favorite gravestones, from New London, ct. I never did finish the site: http://onlymortal.com/

Ledyard, Connecticut has a bunch of them in out of the way places that are inscribed "murdered by the traitor Arnold" or similar phrases. These are all men who died when Benedict Arnold attacted Fort Griswold. Some of them have more to say about Arnold than the man lying there.

Bons, any hope you could type that marker's message out? It's very hard to make out on the stone. Thanks. This thread is very intersting; makes me want to go crypt crawling.

There are some markers like this in a HUGE, beautiful historic cemetery where my sister lives. The cemetery is called "Hollywood cemetery" and it's in Richmond, VA. There are a few presidents buried there as well as some famous Virginians. If anyone is ever in the Richmond, VA area I suggest you check it out. It is HUGE and gives an awesome overlook of the James River.

Jeff, I have placed 27 caches in Central Indiana pioneer cemeteries this year under the series title "Indiana Spirit Quest". The cast iron grave cover that Buddaman posted above was at one of my caches. User name: SixDogTeam. I have only seen one cast iron monument in these old rural graveyards. Here is a very poor photo of it-- angry ghosts were wooshing by -- but it is all metal and bolted together, altho you can't tell that by the photo. (I don't know if it is like yours, because your pics won't fully open for me.

f8ee6d44-f1b6-4af4-b403-6f5e72891935.jpg

Bons, any hope you could type that marker's message out? It's very hard to make out on the stone. Thanks. This thread is very intersting; makes me want to go crypt crawling.

Aged 20 years

Consider friends as you pass by

As you are now so once was I

As I am now soon you must be

Prepare for death & follow me

I love old cemeteries and think they're fascinating. There's an old one near my parents' house in Central Florida, and some of the homemade gravestones broke my heart...babies dead too young, young mothers that didn't survive childbirth, etc. And then one time while visiting my grandfather's grave in South Carolina, I came across the grave of one Homer Simpson! Yep, pretty funny. I have a picture of it around here somewhere.

We did a cache here in El Paso recently that takes you into a historic local cemetery. I thought it was pretty darn interesting, and would like to do some more research and return there someday...living, of course!

Paula :D

And one more from Hollywood cemetery. Then I will shut up since I am off topic now!

This photo is of a full size statue of a dog. There is a little girl buried beside this dog. Her tombstone says she died when she was 11. This dog was her absolute favorite pet and when the dog died, the family had this statue made and buried the dog beside her.

SANDRAdoghllywood.JPG

As a side note. In (I think) northern Kansas there is a graveyard with a series of statues. The story is of a man and his wife. The final set of statues has the man sitting there (without a hand interesting enough) next to an empty chair. "The Empty Chair" if I recall correctly. It's been over a decade since I drove by the graveyard while on walkabout so I honestly don't remember where it is. If anyone knows of the graveyard, I'd love to see it again some day.

I came across this one awhile back. It isn't case iron, but the story on it was quite poignant. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed the name. . . This marker is for Leonidas Taylor, my name is Leon Taylor - shocked me at first.

Leon2.jpg

"Far distant from those who loved him, the waters of the Sacramento will roll over him till that day when the sea shall give up its dead."

Well, since we're on the topic of tombstones, I thought I'd add one of my favorites.

See if you can figure out why the epitaph is rather "un-flattering", to say the least . . . Look Closely . . .

The tombstone is real, and is located in Montreal, Canada.

32761424-dd31-01550200-.jpg

Here's a hint: read the first letter of each line vertically, from top to bottom.

Rick

I did some digging on google and found this:

USA Quartermaster General Montgomery C. Meigs, in his annual report of 1866, proposed an economical solution for durable grave markers. He stated, “A design has been adopted for a small cast-iron monument, to be protected from rust by a coating of zinc, to have in raised letters cast in the solid, the name, rank, regiment and company of each soldier or officer. One of these will be placed at the foot of every grave and will remain when the wooden headboards decay and perish.”

Check out these sites:

cast iron tombstones in Tennesse

more about cast iron tombstones

The tombstone you found definetly has a masonic marking on it. As you will see from the above link these type of tombstones were used in the tennessee area so I'm sure they were used in south around the the civil war...

Edited by cutsandbruises