New Jersey's Forgoten Caches

briansnat

We had actually bandied about a cito competition to check old caches, in connection with that discussion, I had prepared something for approval, but before it was reviewed I archived it because in checking the 76 pages of available caches there were comparatively few that were not visited in the last 90 days. pfennigan or hennigan had about 4 or 5 , Briansnat had several. One common strand was the walk factor, they are hike caches. Being that as it may, I will make it my point to visit at least one over this weekend. I walked down to "Chick Falls " a couple of weeks ago and that was a nice spot. Even if there were no chicks.

Edited by Packanack

Avroair, Mrs Avroair (Rose), the REAL Quoddy, and I went to check on GC8 and GC4, and GC7 early this morning. Firstly GC8 is gone! Probably taken by the Sterling Forest Park rangers. Found a portion of the green string (almost wire) with nothing attached. After a phone call we discovered the ranger "plot", of which we were previously unaware.

Went to GC4 and found the cache in dreadful condition. The top was partially cracked and off the cache. Water/ice was in the cache but only really destroyed the log book. A TB, a book. and some small trade items seemed OK. We pulled the cache since it was no longer viable. I am going to TRY to retrieve each log page, piece together each entry and then scan and reprint it. I managed to do this once before. Why? To me it's a piece of Geocaching history.

Also tried to locate GC7, but finally gave up. I suppose it could still be there somewhere in the area, but we couldn't locate it after quite a thorough search.

So that's the story on some of the longest not-founds in the area.

Those were the ones I had in mind, what now becomes of the listings. What should be done about old listings. He still has a number of listings, one of which is on an Island. There are a few more that I suspect are abandoned.

The island cache (GC9) appears to be fine (the container looks very familiar to me...it was a ready made cache - container, log book, trinkets that I left in another cache a while ago). GC2 was a great cache, but I'm fairly certain it was pulled by the Sterling Forest staff (how smart is that, pulling a cache and leaving the listing so people will gothere and look and look and look). GC4 has a SBA note and is awaiting action. GC5 is probably still there and in good shape (we replaced the cntainer when we found it). Its one of the best caches in northern NJ IMHO. GC7 probably should be archived if it gets another DNF.

As far as I know, the owner (Hennigan) still geocaches but doesn't log finds. The fact that he grabbed my ready made cache from another cache and never logged it confirms that. I corresponded with him about a year ago, but I think I lost his e-mail address.

As far as I know, the owner (Hennigan) still geocaches but doesn't log finds. The fact that he grabbed my ready made cache from another cache and never logged it confirms that. I corresponded with him about a year ago, but I think I lost his e-mail address.

He is not active through the site which is a problem since there is no way to contact him. I used both e-mail available on different cache pages and they both bounced back. As long as his caches are in good shape I see no reason to pull them, but the missing ones should be archived:

GC8, GC4, are both gone. GC2 I am assuming suffered a similar fate.

There are another 5 or 6 containers at the headquarters building that did not belong to us, so anyone who is missing their caches go and pick them up.

James R. Gell's telephone number is (845-351-5920).

Edited by avroair
GC5 is probably still there and in good shape (we replaced the cntainer when we found it).  Its one of the best caches in northern NJ IMHO. GC7 probably should be archived if it gets another DNF.

I totally agree with the above. GC5 is a great trek to get to, and the cache was in fine shape when I found it in October. GC7 is a potentially great hiding spot, but I believe that the cache itself is gone.

Edited by Quoddy
This one has a JEEP travel bug in it! GC5 cache

GC5 was in excellent condition when I found it last October. Especially after I traded the calculator for a Jeep. :(

Anyone want a lime green calculator?

One of the best caches in NJ!

Jeep

If anyone is going after this one, I'd liked to be part of the search party. I have neither a. been to this part of the state, nor b. had the pleasure of meeting a good bunch of you. Please email me if an expedition is being put together.

Quoddy,

You mentioned in your log that Rose found a tobacco tin at GC7. The cache description says that the container is a tobacco tin :)

Yeah, from the cache page:

This was a spur of the moment kind of cache so I just grabbed an old tobacco tin and threw in some junk, hopefully the funis in the journey.

You probably found the cache and didn't realize it.

Quoddy,

You mentioned in your log that Rose found a tobacco tin at GC7.  The cache description says that the container is a tobacco tin  :)

I have a call into the Mrs to verify what she found. Quoddy 'thinks' Rose found a Tabacco tin, I believe we were just talking about it mentioning that is what we were looking for. (I hope). :D

NOPE. NO TABACCO TIN. ROSE'S COMMENT WAS "THIS HOCKEY PUCK LOOKS LIKE A TABACCO TIN!

Edited by avroair

Here's a cache that hasn't been found in 2.5 years. Cranberry Cache by CaveDiver

I was up that way a month or two ago biking the Sussex Branch. I think I had that one in my GPS but didn't realize it was a paddle-to and didn't have any concept of how to get to it. We were going to park there by Cranberry Lake but since the trail runs so close to Route 206 in that area we decided to park up closer to Kittatinny State Park. Is there a public launch there? I think someone told me it was private, but not according to the new jersey paddling book I have.

Here are a couple of mine that have been "forgotten":

EPIC 1 - FRUSTRATION Not since October 2005.

Stokes State Forest Petroglyph Trail Challenge Not since May 2006.

Usually I archive my caches after a year with no finds to free up the area for others. But these are a couple of my favorites.

I agree. These are two outstanding caches, and EPIC 1 can be combined with at least 7 other caches in a winter's day of caching. It seems to me as if the group of cachers that reallly enjoy the outdoors, treking, and seeing great areas is, at least percentage wise, diminishing. Put a great cache (like these) out, and you can forecast who the cachers to actually go to it will be. Come on folks, choose a real challenge now and then.

Here are a couple of mine that have been "forgotten":

EPIC 1 - FRUSTRATION Not since October 2005.

Stokes State Forest Petroglyph Trail Challenge Not since May 2006.

Usually I archive my caches after a year with no finds to free up the area for others. But these are a couple of my favorites.

Sorry we skipped Epic 1 when I was there not too long ago :lol: You just wore us out with all of your other epic caches...I couldn't handle any more climbs :lol: At least that one is the closest to the road...I'll have to go back.