New Jersey's Forgoten Caches

briansnat

Or should I say 'forgotten caches". Anyway, there are are many great caches out there that don't get a lot of hits. I know I've found a few that I wonder why they don't get more visits. They have it all - interesting terrain, nice hike, beautiful area and usually a well prepared and stocked cache at the end. Which caches have you found that you think should be a lot more popular than they are? They could be old caches that were once popular, but are largely ignored now, or simply ones that have been out there a long time with few people attempting them.

Here are my 6 nominations.

Old Glory NJ Style. A short, but challenging climb to a great view.

GC5 A great bushwack in a very scenic area.

Ny/NJ Multi State Multi Cache . Okay, I haven't completed this one yet, but I've done most of it and I assure you it's a great hike. Covert - 002 is also along the route and is a great cache in its own right.

Bearfort Fire Tower. I know you need a hiking permit for this one, but it's only 8 bucks and the place is now open Saturday mornings so you can pick one up on your way to the cache.(NWCDC, 223 Echo Lake Road Newfoundland, NJ 07435).

Recycled Cache Maybe it's the name? This is a very pleasant hike. Why is it that 3 of the 6 caches on this list are Skully and Mulder hides?

Smokey's Wallow. Ok, again permit required, but as I said above, easy enough to get.

Edited by briansnat
but face it, most geocachers are unwilling to put more than a minimal physical effort into seeking caches. They prefer to use the "drive-up window" and have caches handed to them.

Agreed to a point. There are some difficult caches that are fairly popular. For instance, I'm shocked at how many people have found all, or most of my hiker series already and that's a 9 mile hike. And of the caches I listed, only NY/NJ Multistate Multicache involves an extensive hike. All of the rest are just a few miles RT. Old Glory is probably under a mile to the cache, albeit a good climb.

Edited by briansnat

I'd actually prefer a little walking an/or thinking in the caches I attempt. The little urban micros I usually ride close to, but if I feel that people will wonder what I might be doing I usually pass. Out in the woods I don't care. My cache numbers are only marginally important. I'm still plenty busy with the caches down here in Delaware and surrounding states. I think I'm up to 41. But I am down to 1 or so on a day od caching, rather than 20. And that's what I want out of caching.

Most geocachers are unwilling to put more than a minimal physical effort into seeking caches. They prefer to use the "drive-up window" and have caches handed to them.

It's not that I prefer the "drive-up window" or that I'm unwilling to put in the physical effort, for me it's hard just trying to allot the the time to that these caches require. I know that sounds like a lame answer and we all have busy lives but it's definitely easier to grab a 1/1 cache while I'm driving on the way to someplace else or during my lunch hour. I've only logged 1 of the caches listed above and it was great.

I really enjoyed all of those caches ... but face it, most geocachers are unwilling to put more than a minimal physical effort into seeking caches.  They prefer to use the "drive-up window" and have caches handed to them.

Like Brian said - yes and no.

I can really only go geocaching on the weekends and what I look for, assuming I have time to spend, is a cluster of caches I can try and get to with no or minimal driving. So if there's one cache which requires a 4 mile hike, it might be the only one I get to in a day. Brian's hiker series though gave you 7 or 8 caches, in a 8 mile hike where you are on a different path the entire time... not hiking in 4 miles, getting a cache and hiking back the same 4 miles.

Last weekend I hit 9 caches in the Palisades of which some were easier and some were pretty difficult. I looked at one I found Survival! and you posted a note about it. I don't think there's anything wrong with someone not attempting that one. It's a pretty rigorous hike to get there and it's a tough find once you get to the area. But for me, it was very satisfying to accomplish. If others don't want to, it doesn't mean they are any less a geocacher then I am.

Some other times, I might want to take the kids, and to make it as enjoyable as possible, I don't want to wipe them out on 1 cache. I'll save the tougher attempts for when they have something else to do and I can go off on my own.

So though I think the harder ones are going to get visited less, I think that's really to be expected. Have you bagged (asking a rhetorical question here), any caches that required repelling down a mountain or scuba diving, or kayaking out to a spot? I haven't, but do you think it's fair for those that have to say that those that haven't are wusses? Nah... it's a sport and whatever makes you enjoy it the most is how people will participate.

Maybe it's the name? This is a very pleasant hike. Why is it that 3 of the 6 caches on this list are Skully and Mulder hides?

Maybe I need to come up with some clever names like "The Superie Dupper Cache".

All kidding aside - Thanks for starting this topic. I'm kind of suprised my caches on the list haven't gotten more visitors. Espically "The Recycled Cache" & "Bearfort Fire Tower" - They are both pretty nice hikes along well marked trails.

BP makes a valid point that few cachers are willing to put in 2+ hours to grab one cache. Your hiker series is a perfectly laid out loop hike allowing cachers to find 8 caches without having to get back to their car and drive to another parking area.

Aside from the distance deterant, I think when caches have not been visited for a long time cachers may think the cache is missing. I'm planning on making a maintenance visit to my three caches that made your list so when I post the note cachers will know all is well with the cache.

I think the hiking factor is why I started caching. NY/NJ multi was the third cache I found and jaded me, in a good way toward those types of caches. If I only find one, its okay, to me its about being out, not the finds. Im workin on getting 100 for my 2yr of geocaching, but Its unlikely. Not a big deal to me. Sometimes I hike right past caches with my gps while hiking with friends, Im out hiking, not caching.

Aycarumba is one you can add to this list of long nice hikes, multi stages but just one find.

Most geocachers are unwilling to put more than a minimal physical effort into seeking caches.  They prefer to use the "drive-up window" and have caches handed to them.

It's not that I prefer the "drive-up window" or that I'm unwilling to put in the physical effort, for me it's hard just trying to allot the the time to that these caches require. I know that sounds like a lame answer and we all have busy lives but it's definitely easier to grab a 1/1 cache while I'm driving on the way to someplace else or during my lunch hour. I've only logged 1 of the caches listed above and it was great.

Yup, I'm with BeeGees. I think BassoonPilot (or Bassoon Pilot) is over generalizing.

Anyone with a day job and/or (heaven forbid!) other interests has a lot of competing activities for available time. Pretentiousness isn't called for - the game is fun and people have different interests and time available.

It reminds me of a recent thread at another internet site where someone was looked down upon due to their choice in motorcycles. Being a geocacher is fun - doesn't matter what kind of caches you like to hide or find.

Come on people - it's just a game. The caches don't go stale and it's normal for a new cacher to try some easy ones near his/her home to get started. The folks who enjoy longer hikes (and can find the time) will. I personally like the LONG walks (with easy finds at the end), but don't have as much time as I'd like for them. Harder caches get less attention - but when they get found, typically have a better story associated with the log.

I can really only go geocaching on the weekends and what I look for, assuming I have time to spend, is a cluster of caches I can try and get to with no or minimal driving. So if there's one cache which requires a 4 mile hike, it might be the only one I get to in a day.

(I removed Team DEMP's name from the quote because this is a commonly heard statement and my response is not specific to Team DEMP.) So what's wrong with bagging only one cache over a several mile hike? I can see this being a problem if the individual is into the game purely to amass "smiley faces." But if the individual is into the game primarily to get outdoors for some physical activity and to visit some new and interesting areas that the individual would probably not visit otherwise, then I don't see why the number of caches available in the area should be a consideration.

So though I think the harder ones are going to get visited less, I think that's really to be expected.

I do, too. But I don't think it has been established that some of the "forgotten" caches mentioned are necessarily "hard."

Have you bagged ... any caches that required repelling down a mountain or scuba diving, or kayaking out to a spot? I haven't, but do you think it's fair for those that have to say that those that haven't are wusses?
Personally, I don't "give a hoot" what anybody says. It must be pointed out, however, that by far the majority of the "forgotten," "neglected" or just plain "hard" caches in this region require no special skills or equipment ... they simply require an expenditure of more time and/or energy than the majority of geocachers are apparently willing to make.

For example, I can't imagine why Middle'aNowhere has been found only three times in the year it's been there. It's even been ignored by most of the "Can-Do" crowd.

Also, Windbeams Windfall, which is a tougher hike than many.

Anyone with a day job and/or (heaven forbid!) other interests has a lot of activities competing for available time.

"Pretentiousness isn't called for." But I agree with you to a certain extent ... Thank God that those of us who work at night aren't condemned to spend our available free time watching the crap on TV you day-workers are "forced" to endure. :D

Edited by Bassoon Pilot
Anyone with a day job and/or (heaven forbid!) other interests has a lot of activities competing for available time.

"Pretentiousness isn't called for." But I agree with you to a certain extent ... Thank God that those of us who work at night aren't condemned to spend our available free time watching the crap on TV you day-workers are "forced" to endure. :D

Your assumptions are funny - and a little sad. But certainly revealing.

Discourtesy does not spring merely from one bad quality, but from several--from foolish vanity, from ignorance of what is due to others, from indolence, from stupidity, from distraction of thought, from contempt of others, from jealousy.

Jean de la Bruyere (1645 - 1696)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program. Hey Brian - I've got some of those caches on my to-do list and am looking forward to them - good thread!

Different strokes for different folks. :rolleyes:

Thank you for bringing the topic to attention Brian, there are plenty of caches out there that for whatever reason haven't been done:

Aqua - by cache Ninja

Sepentor - by cache Ninja

Secaucus Panorama - by Marty621

Cauldrons of Courage - by Artful Dodger (until this week there was only one cache in this large park!)

Rocky Mtn Mirco Challenge - by GeoGuru

I cache on weekends, I have a day-job. :D

I prefer caching with others so I can share the experience, i guess some don't have that luxury. :D

I prefer laying out and solving puzzle caches. Not everybody's cup of tea. :D

:P

I geocache for the fun of it. I wasn't a hiker prior to geocaching. I've hiked more in the last 2 months then I've probably hiked in my entire 40 years prior. DO I like it - sure. Do I geocache because I hike - nope.

For me, the fun is finding the cache. Getting exercise is an added bonus. Visiting places I've never been to and likely wouldn't have gone to, are obviously a huge added bonus.

Also with the kids, the more caches the better time they have. They also don't care what's in a cache. They'd trade anything because it's fun to them. What folks might consider a piece of crap, my kids think is neat. They always trade up, so what's the harm? I don't carry bubble gum wrappers and comb with missing teeth as trade items.

I want to have fun, and what's fun is different each day depending on who I will be going with, how much time I have, the weather, and how I feel that day. We, at least in our area, have SO MANY caches that we have the luxury of choosing what to target. In addition, now that the weather has improved, I've seen new caches hidden in close proximity to home again, which is great for when we don't have a lot of time and want to get out and cache. With my kids - finding more caches is definitely more fun and what they like to do. Finding harder ones is what I like to do. I try to do both when possible. Anyone that does this alone, take my kids with you one day and see what they find enjoyable and therefore what ends up being enjoyable for you, and you'll see things from a different perspective.

BP: As for the comment about your note in the Survival! cache log, it wasn't a shot at all. I just looked at that one, since it's a strenuous hike and a tough find that I recently did, just to see how much activity it had received. You had a note in it and I didn't mean to imply anything other then it doesn't receive a lot of attention.

Avroaior. I agree with Cauldrons of Courage. Great cache and not many have tried it. Its not that hard a hike either. I also agree with BP's choices of Windbeam's Windfall, and though I've yet to do it, I'm sure Middle a Nowhere is a cache that is worthy of more visits. I plan to get out there one day soon and do that and Aye Carrumba!.

Edited by briansnat

I would be one of those who hunts geocaches for the hiking, and for the new areas to which it brings me. My initial number fever has died down, but a cluster of caches in a new hiking area does have more appeal and may provide the extra incentive needed for three hours of driving. I have to say that the caches that are most rewarding to me are usually out there on their own. I would add Brian's "Ironman" and "Hasenclever Iron" to the list, as well as "Pinwheel Vista". I have no interest in postage stamp size dog poop parks, nor in battling traffic jams to get there.

Edited by jonboy
Discourtesy does not spring merely from one bad quality, but from several--from foolish vanity, from ignorance of what is due to others, from indolence, from stupidity, from distraction of thought, from contempt of others, from jealousy.

Jean de la Bruyere (1645 - 1696)

Yep, that explains you pretty well!

But of course it is I..... you don't think I'd be so foolish as to think I could portend the mind of another?

BTW - the private emails this thread have generated are hilarious! Don't be so defensive - the quote wan't directed at anyone.....sheesh. Besides, I called "no touchbacks" so "I'm rubber - you're glue" is illegal! :D

Hope everyone has a great weekend and I look forward to reading everyone's logs online (for those of you who care to log your finds online of course). :rolleyes:

La dee dah.

BTW - the private emails this thread have generated are hilarious!

On this we can agree ... and I'd wager we have in common several of the senders "in our (respective) corners." Because there is no doubt that there is more than one game being played.

La-dee-dah, indeed!

I didn't get one email. Does that mean no one likes me :rolleyes:

Mommy.... mommy!!!

:D

BTW - the private emails this thread have generated are hilarious!

On this we can agree ... and I'd wager we have in common several of the senders "in our (respective) corners." Because there is no doubt that there is more than one game being played.

La-dee-dah, indeed!

Corners? Interesting.

If you view this as adversarial - you're wrong. I just thought it was funny in general - not adversarial on my part. So you're free to box with yourself (or anyone else you may choose). I'll let you continue until you get yourself banned again.

Besides, we're not even in the same league.

It was great that Brian started this topic (especially since 3 of our caches are on his original list)... c'mon guys go find them - they are lonely.

I'm really with Hart, BeeGee's, Team DEMP, etc. on their comments. We/I will basically seek any cache but it really depends on the circumstances. I enjoy caching with my kids, and like Dave said, the kids like to find the prize and exchange trinkets - no matter how trivial they are. On the other hand, the whole team was together for the recent Hudson Highlands group hike, and although they traded at only a couple of the caches, we all agreed that it was the best day caching since we started.

CG5 & Middle of Nowhere were two of the hardest caches I've done (terrain wise). CG5 was out there for a long time before I ever attempted it. Initially I logged a DNF for Middle of Nowhere and it took me more then a year to try it again. The kids just would not have enjoyed those caches - I did them for the challenge when the time was right. That's why I don't see a problem with leaving a cache out there - someone may eventually go grab it.

Between working my day job, and the kids sports & activities, I'm happy we are able to get out there and do some caching as often as we do. Anyone that gets PO'ed, or takes exception to the fact that I didn't block out a period of time to go find a recently placed cache is off base. Either the team, or myself, will get to them eventually. When we do have the time, the last thing I want to do is take them on a hike they just won't enjoy. Again this should be about what fits into each individual's lifestyle.

Edited by Skully & Mulder et al.

Bearfort Fire Tower. I know you need a hiking permit for this one, but it's only 8 bucks and the place is now open Saturday mornings so you  can pick one up on your way to the cache.(NWCDC, 223 Echo Lake Road Newfoundland, NJ 07435).

Now I know why our TB hasn't moved in 9 months :o

So if it's not for the hike, how 'bout giving a poor bug a hand who's down on it's luck?

Bearfort Fire Tower. I know you need a hiking permit for this one, but it's only 8 bucks and the place is now open Saturday mornings so you  can pick one up on your way to the cache.(NWCDC, 223 Echo Lake Road Newfoundland, NJ 07435).

Now I know why our TB hasn't moved in 9 months :o

So if it's not for the hike, how 'bout giving a poor bug a hand who's down on it's luck?

I won't be around until 3 weekends from now, but when I get back the 3 caches (2 on the way listed in the cache page and the Fire Tower one) look right up my alley. Of course, no one has visited it in a while, but after this posting there will be 12 visitors :D

I cache every other weekend and sneak out for a night cache every now and then during the week. I could cache 24/7 if you know someone willing to pay me to, until then I can only cache when my time permits :-(

All the caches on the list sound great and since I must save all the LONG hike caches for when Im alone, it looks like I will not be running out any time soon :o

Kar of TS!!

Edited by Team Shibby

Just to summarize, here are some of northern NJ's best, loneliest caches

Old Glory NJ Style - Skully & Mulder

GC5 - Pheligan

NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache - Waterboy

Bearfort Fire Tower - Skully & Mulder

Recycled Cache - Skully & Mulder

Smokey's Wallow - Team Magster

Survival - Team GWHO

Ramapo Mtn Micro Challenge - Geoguru

Middle a Nowhere - Team Magster

Windbeam's Windfall - Rubber Ducky

Secaucus Panorama - by Marty621

Cauldrons of Courage - by Artful Dodger

Rocky Mtn Mirco Challenge - by GeoGuru

Sixth Cents - Dhenning25

And two nomiations that weren't in NJ, but certainly qualify otherwise:

seRpenTOr caChe - Cache Ninja (even has a fake log from Electric Shavers)

4quA5 - Cache Ninja

Too soon to tell about Jonboy's nominations below since the caches are fairly new, but I'm willing to bet they will be on this list someday.

Pinwheel Vista - Team DiviDivi

The Ironman - BrianSnat

Hasenclever Iron - BrianSnat

Its a nice weekend coming up. Visit one of these poor, lonely caches. Make a cache happy today!

Edited by briansnat

This would normally be my weekend to go caching, but Im taking my boy to the Bronx Zoo on Saturday and Sunday is already been booked for quite some time :-(

I did take the day off of work yesterday and knocked "Billy E 9/11" off my list, and I had a great time hunting that one. It may not be as dormant as the others listed above, but it is definately been added to my "I Would Recommend" list ;-)

Kar of TS!!

And two nomiations that weren't in NJ, but certainly qualify otherwise:

seRpenTOr caChe - Cache Ninja (even has a fake log from Electric Shavers)

4quA5 - Cache Ninja

The serpentor cache is gone. I have been up there twice since a spoiler hint from cache ninja and it wasn't in the spot he said :D

4qua5 - is still there though :D

i don't get the same excitement from "average" caches as i used to. i enjoy parking 200' from a cache and being back in the car in 8 minutes, but more and more i find myself looking for "hiker" caches. the accomplishment of a decent hike up a mountain or through a swamp just adds to the feeling. i guess i get "more bang for my buck" when i can make a day out of 1-2 caches instead of jumping in and out of the car and bagging 6 or 7 in local parks.

that's not to knock the easier caches, i still look for them and appreciate the hiders efforts, but recently i find myself driving by dozens of 1/2 ccaches to get to a hikable area, especially on weekends.

i'm going to use this thread as a "things to do" list. thanks for the recomendations.

we're heading to Pa. for someweekend camping and are going to hit the "Pulpit Rock" cache on the Appalachian trail. although its not NJ, "Pulpit Rock" and "Pinnacle" near Lenhartsville, Pa. are great hiker caches with great views and nice trails.

It's already on my short list. I'm surprised it hasn't been hit in 6 months too. <_<

I would have listed it, but it does have 25 some finds. Though none in a while. I guess that could be another category. Once popular caches, that are now lonely. I think a lot of mine would fall into that category. The BOLP series, Terrace Pond, Turkey on Rye and even Wildcat Ridge Hawkwatch. Also, the Artful Dodger's Splitrock Splendor is a great cache that doesn't get visited very often anymore.

a great cache that doesn't get visited very often anymore

I think these caches suffer from placement in a different era of geocaching....

Golden Age caches such as Cache Ninja's are often very hard to get to, let alone find.... wonderful spots, well thought out and well placed, but they suffer since they are now surrounded by easy grabs.

Silver Age caches such as the Artful Dodgers have been found by most long-time geocachers and also involve great ventures in to the wilderness! I just completed Cauldrons of Courage which took me most of the day... Most people will not devote that much time and energy for isolated caches like that one and skip it. Despite its novelty.

Are we getting too saturated with caches in this area?

Are we getting too saturated with caches in this area?

No, I don't think so at all!!

There was a post, and maybe it was in the general forum and not here, but I have different caching needs based on who I have with me (alone or with kids), how much time I have, and what type of mood I'm in.

With the kids, I don't typically go for a long hike or difficult terrain. They enjoy trading, whatever might be there, so more caches is more fun for them. Sometimes, when I have the time, I'll hit up a bunch of caches that I need to drive around to. Other times, and more so lately, I've gone to where I can park, hike for a couple hours, and hit up a cluster of caches.

For example, after Quoddy, Rattlehead and I did your Africa loop, I was planning to head to the Rifle Camp area to get 6 caches. My wife called, said the kids wanted to go see Harry Potter, so I put off the 2nd portion of my day. But they are on my list (one is a 2nd stage of a cache I did elsewhere on Saturday) so I'll get to them. Some are new, some aren't so new, but they are together and what I look for in a morning or afternoon of caches.

So if I'm alone (or with another geocacher), I'll likely look for a cluster (such as your series) that I can do. I've done a bunch of the stand-alone caches and I still have more to do, and I'm sure us 100+ cachers will get to them. Brian and I went out a couple weeks ago attempting to go after some of the ones that have been around and not often hit. We got some done, but there's still more.

So don't stop hiding your terrific caches - they are a pleasure to go after and find!! I truly don't think an area can be saturated. I know we're spoiled when I see others say they have to drive more then 20 miles to get a cache in their area, but I like having choices based on my current mood.

David

I like having choices based on my current mood

Well put. I think our area offers a good variety. I have cached in other places have only found dirve-ups and drive-ups with a twist :rolleyes:

Rifle Camp has 3-4 caches... Hilltop now has 7!!! Whose fault is that for over-saturation!!! :P

Rifle Camp has 3-4 caches... Hilltop now has 7!!! Whose fault is that for over-saturation!!! :rolleyes:

I picked Sixth Cents Reborn, Roland's Rocky Rifle Camp Cache, Carwyn and Zephyr's Garret Mountain, Tank You! Tank You!, Small World and the 2nd stage of a multi in a park in Saddle Brook/Fairlawn.

Rifle Camp has 3-4 caches... Hilltop now has 7!!!  Whose fault is that for over-saturation!!!  :rolleyes:

I picked Sixth Cents Reborn, Roland's Rocky Rifle Camp Cache, Carwyn and Zephyr's Garret Mountain, Tank You! Tank You!, Small World and the 2nd stage of a multi in a park in Saddle Brook/Fairlawn.

I was not at all surprised to observe how popular "Sixth Cents" (reborn) has become since it was dumbed-down to a "1/4 mile one-stop wonder."

Yes, I do believe the area is saturated by (mostly) "dash-and-grab" caches. Part of the reason is because so much "prime" territory is occupied by caches that most local geocachers found long ago. It is my opinion that caches should be placed primarily for the enjoyment of the local geocaching community, and that there is little reason for a cache to remain in place if, after the initial rush, only two or three people a year seek it.

Yes, new people discover the game on a regular basis. How does it affect their enjoyment of the game if the cache in an area they decide to visit is the original, 2nd, or 29th cache to have been placed in that area since the game began?

The game would benefit greatly from higher quality locations and caches that were fewer in number.