Goto Turns Light On Automatically On Magellan

You do have to just press the button for a few seconds but I never really use my GPS at night and sometimes I forget and waste batteries ALSO, it's hard to tell it's even on during the day or if you've turned it off so you have to hold your face to the gps and cup your hands around it to get it dark enough that you can tell. This is really a hassle when using the gps while driving...

Hey Cap'n Cache, one way to make it easier to see if the light is on in the daytime. Just hold it up to your ear. You will hear a faint but distinct buzzing noise. At least you don't have to cup your hands around it, etc.

Also, I am assuming whtn you say GOTO, you mean a street route, and the light only turns on when the unit prompts you to do something right? Otherwise, yours is being a bit wacky. Point to point GOTOs wont turn the light on, unless the proximity alarm is set on by Direct Route, and you are close to the waypoint you have selected.

Just to add, the "hijacking" of settings hasnt been that bad. I have been letting the stree route run thru till the end, and after that, it sets all my settings back to how they were. I think the only thing it doesnt change is my map detail. It stays at medium i believe. All the rest, including proximity alarms and what shows up on the map (track lines, etc.) goes back to how they were.

Edited by SBPhishy
The problem with going back is that the older Firmwares aren't compatible with the software. Software requires you to upgrade :o

Until they get all the bugs out, Ill stick with mapsend topo and an earlier firmware.

I don't really need it anyway with a laptop and MSN streets and trips

Until they get all the bugs out, Ill stick with mapsend topo and an earlier firmware.

Same for me. Tried the new firmware a few months and went (running) back to the old stuff within 2 days it was so bad. Crashes, backlight on all the time, crummy menus... :D Mapsend Topo is all I really need anyway - hope they do update it sometime tho. A few places, the streets aren't exactly the way it shows any more. ;)

Same for me. Tried the new firmware a few months and went (running) back to the old stuff within 2 days it was so bad. Crashes, backlight on all the time, crummy menus... :D

This is exactly why my FAQ recommends that if you aren't using DirectRoute that you stay on 4.06. The backlight, the crashes, and the insane menus are in my list of top complaints.

However, Magellan doesn't seem to be _getting_ this. Users have been unhappy - and DirectRoute users have no alternative - with 5.x now for over six months and tech support still denies these as problems and there's seemingly no fix on the horizon. So be sure to TELL MAGELLAN how unhappy you are that your receiver takes 5x as many keystrokes to find a cache, reducing the battery life for a feature you didn't turn on and didn't want, and that crashing multiple times a day is bad, because they don't seem to be figuring this out with just a few of us banging this gong...

I'm currently running my Plat with the latest firmware update and though I find the backlight thing a pain in the butt, I have learned to live with it though I wish there was a fix for it. As for the crashes...what crashes? I haven't experience any and I use my gpsr quite often.