Actual Backpacker Comments

joefrog

Found this on a backpacking site. This could easily apply to some geocachers I know!

Actual comments from backpackers

These are supposedly actual comments left on Forest Service registration sheets and comment cards by backpackers completing wilderness camping trips. Human nature being what it is, I wouldn't doubt the authenticity of these remarks. You be the judge:

"A small deer came into my camp and stole my bag of pickles. Is there a way I can get reimbursed? Please call."

"Escalators would help on steep uphill sections."

"Instead of a permit system or regulations, the Forest Service needs to reduce worldwide population growth to limit the number of visitors to wilderness."

"Trails need to be wider so people can walk while holding hands."

"Ban walking sticks in wilderness. Hikers that use walking sticks are more likely to chase animals."

"All the mile markers are missing this year."

"Found a smoldering cigarette left by a horse."

"Trails need to be reconstructed. Please avoid building trails that go uphill."

"Too many bugs and leeches and spiders and spider webs. Please spray the wilderness to rid the area of these pests."

"Please pave the trails so they can be plowed of snow in the winter."

"Chairlifts need to be in some places so that we can get to wonderful views without having to hike to them."

"The coyotes made too much noise last night and kept me awake. Please eradicate these annoying animals."

"Reflectors need to be placed on trees every 50 feet so people can hike at night with flashlights."

"Need more signs to keep area pristine."

"A McDonald's would be nice at the trailhead."

"The places where trails do not exist are not well marked."

"Too many rocks in the mountains."

...agreed with brian, backpackers seem to be a bit less lazy, and a lot more respectful than those comments might have you believe <_<

at least registers up in these parts (upstate new york, vt, nh) where I hike... most of the comments in the register usually have something to do with what people spotted out there (birds/plants/other critters), or sometimes note any flooding, usually pretty logical stuff. i believe i may have written 'w00t' when checking out after a couple strenuous days out (and bad weather to boot), feels good to be out -- sometimes better to be back, you won after all :rolleyes:

That reminds me of two funny comments made to two different park rangers in 2 different places:

The first one comes from one who works at Multnomah Falls, a very popular tourist destination near Portland, Oregon. Some goofball came to gape at the lovely falls, turned to the ranger and asked: "When do you turn them off at night?"

The second one happened at the Meteor Crater in Arizona: "Wow, we're lucky it hit where it did! If it had gone 300 feet THAT way, it would have destroyed the road!"

I don't know what's worse, that or working in tech support and trying to explain to newbie computer users that the CD-ROM is NOT to be used as a cupholder! (really happened!)

I doubt they were comments of real backpackers. Sounds more like cityfolk who were out for a walk in the woods or spent a night in the campground.

I'm with you Bry. I've been a wilderness hiker for close to 25 years. I have run across more than my share of weirdos though. Maybe I will drop a card on my next trip asking the Forest Service to spray the backcountry to rid it of weirdos.

I'll be planning my next trip for that place that doesn't have any uphill trails too. :tongue:

Sn :rolleyes:<_< gans

I doubt they were comments of real backpackers. Sounds more like cityfolk who were out for a walk in the woods or spent a night in the campground.

I'm with you Bry. I've been a wilderness hiker for close to 25 years. I have run across more than my share of weirdos though. Maybe I will drop a card on my next trip asking the Forest Service to spray the backcountry to rid it of weirdos.

I'll be planning my next trip for that place that doesn't have any uphill trails too. :D

Sn :D:D gans

I agree, a real backpacker would have picked the Micky D meal ahaed of time and packed in in with the beer. :rolleyes:

Yup. I would agree with City Folk. Probably the same ones that this list was created for Code of the West. It was created by a Larimer County Commissioner to address the issues made by City folk moving to the country. Problem being they kept bringing their City Ways with them.

Yup. I would agree with City Folk. Probably the same ones that this list was created for Code of the West. It was created by a Larimer County Commissioner to address the issues made by City folk moving to the country. Problem being they kept bringing their City Ways with them.

That's so funny. In NJ we have the Right To Farm Act. People were moving to farm country (yes, we have that in NJ), then suing farmers over the smell, dust and sound of roosters (all true stories). They had to pass a law affirming farmer's right to exisit.

Edited by briansnat
That reminds me of two funny comments made to two different park rangers in 2 different places:

The first one comes from one who works at Multnomah Falls, a very popular tourist destination near Portland, Oregon. Some goofball came to gape at the lovely falls, turned to the ranger and asked: "When do you turn them off at night?"

The second one happened at the Meteor Crater in Arizona: "Wow, we're lucky it hit where it did! If it had gone 300 feet THAT way, it would have destroyed the road!"

I don't know what's worse, that or working in tech support and trying to explain to newbie computer users that the CD-ROM is NOT to be used as a cupholder! (really happened!)

Some people don't think period sometimes and it's not confined to the wilderness areas either.

I used to work at Disneyland and got all sorts of weird comments. I'm dressed up like a pirate and have a tag with my name on it and picture of Mickey Mouse and people would come up to me and ask, "Excuse me, do you work here?"

Uh, no ma'am, I just dress like this because I can.

One woman was amazed that Walt Disney was able to build that neat park around that big white mountain.

Or when we'd get on the intercom at Pirates of the Caribbean and announce

"Ladies and gentlemen. For those of you in line for Pirates of the Cari-BEE-an, please use the left hand lane. for those of you in line for Pirates of the Car-RIB-e-an, please use the right hand lane."

You'd see them switch lanes. :D

Back when I was 8 or 10 (about 1960) we took a family trip to Yellowstone. My mother and I were standing at an overlook viewing the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone river along with a few other tourists. A man standing close by said to his wife, "I wonder how they get all that water back up there." We tried not to laugh too loud as we walked away to tell the rest of the family. Now I remember, it was 1959. Probably around August 10th. Memorable because we were camping at Rock Creek campground near West Yellowstone. A week later after we were home, Hebgen Lake was created by a 7.5 magnitude quake. Timely vacation.

Or when we'd get on the intercom at Pirates of the Caribbean and announce

"Ladies and gentlemen. For those of you in line for Pirates of the Cari-BEE-an, please use the left hand lane. for those of you in line for Pirates of the Car-RIB-e-an, please use the right hand lane."

You'd see them switch lanes. :D

:rolleyes:

On our off-days at Great America, we'd all get in line behind a door to the backstage area that looked like a barbershop, complete with spinning barber pole, just to see how many of the regular guests would get in line behind us. Then one by one we would leave the line and let the other guests wait for whatever it is they think they got in line for.

And what's wrong with dressing like a pirate in your spare time?

Arrrrrr....

My kids keep asking me "Dad, do you know what that new pirate movie is rated?"

Lets see if you can guess it.

My guess would be that it's rated....

AArrrrrrrrrrr

Well.. I'll add mine, although it's getting a bit urban.

Last year, during one of the lunar eclipses, I went outside during one of my breaks at work to have a look.

There were several of us out there; the moon was almost completely shadowed. One guy joked, "Hey, I think it's martians!"

One woman who is a manager turned, and in a completely serious voice said, "No, it's a lunar eclipse." And then went back to looking at the sky.

Jamie

While backpacking in yellowstone a few years back I came upon a group of asian tourists standing on the trail. Upon reaching the group I saw what they were looking at, a very large bear. This was all fine and dandy except said bear was no more then 100 feet from us at the time and there were no fences between the two parties. Then these tourists whipped out their camera's (no joke) and started taking FLASH pictures of said bear (who was now on two legs looking at us) all the while jabbering with each other in loud voice. I very quickly boogied the other way.