Challenge On Vancouver Island Wanted!

kanda1069

Alright!!…I’m planning on coming over from the UK to Vancouver Island and I’m interested in getting my teeth stuck into a pretty tough challenge….a cache that involves a fair walk and some cracking Canadian scenery… :rolleyes: .any suggestions?

Edited by kanda1069

Welcome... This is possibly the most cach-dense area of Canada, so there's no shortage of hides to search for. A few suggestions are this one. Located about a 40 minute drive from Victoria, it will require a 1 1/2 - 3 hour hike in (depending on weather and how energetic you feel) and somehwat less out. Nice views from the 'cache area.

This one is supposed to be a very good hike as well, although I haven't done it, nor do I know anyone who has.

If you can give me a better idea of where/when you will be, I can give you some better info. One thing to remember is that in the summer months, the woods tend to dry out and the forest fire danger increases greatly. Some of the better/more remote 'caches may be disabled during that time.

That aside, welcome, and I hope you enjoy both your trip and your 'caching experience here!

What part(s) of Vancouver Island do you plan to visit? And what do you mean by a tough challenge? You say a 'fair walk', so I'm guessing you want a good scenic hike with a nice view at the end, but not involving serious rock climbing. If you want something really tough (like needing climbing gear or an overnight camp), ignore this post.

But if you just want a really good hike, and will be in the Nanaimo/Parksville area (mid-island) consider Operation Hot Star. It's rated 3.5 for terrain, and I think that's accurate. It's a decent hike, not what I'd call gruelling, but certainly not stroller-friendly. Preteens and up could handle it, but I wouldn't bring very young children (unless they're in a back carrier or similar). Don't know if you have kids, but even if not, that should give you an idea of the difficulty. The trail is marked and kept clear, but far from what you'd call "groomed".

Warning: this cache was reported missing. However, it was never confirmed missing by the owner (at least not on the cache page) so I'd consider that just like any other DNF. I recall that when I found it, it took me a bit of looking around, and wasn't in the first one or two 'obvious' places (at least to me). Could be that the last people up there happened to find a garbage bag in one of the 'obvious' places and assumed the cache used to be inside it.

If you're concerned about the cache's existance, you might try emailing the owner (Team KFWB is very nice) and see if they've had a chance to check up on this one. But really, it's one of those ones that the view at the end is worth the hike, even if it turns out to be a DNF.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

SylvrStorm

There are several along the Saanich Inlet around this one that you could do as a string. Jocelyn for Position #GCF735 There are a few tough sections, and great views all around, and they are close to civilization (Victoria) so it would be less likely you would get lost. We have a whole lotta wilderness out here, how experienced are you at navigating logging roads? As noted, Vancouver Island is about as big as the UK - where will you be staying?

The second link which TIREDIRON spoke of is now behind locked gates..I do agree with him on the other link (well worth the medium hike up)as well as Cachewidows link...BUT it maybe time to BLOW my own horn here... GC9C66 is where I would head for a complete overview of the Southern end of Vancouver Island...If you require a guidance for this cache email me .......Gg

The second link which TIREDIRON spoke of is now behind locked gates..I do agree with him on the other link (well worth the medium hike up)as well as Cachewidows link...BUT it maybe time to BLOW my own horn here... GC9C66 is where I would head for a complete overview of the Southern end of Vancouver Island...If you require a guidance for this cache email me .......Gg

GG, if you weren't going to suggest it, I was.....one of my most favourite spots!And I would be remiss if I didn't include:

Prevost Summit

37932_400.jpg

ca642968-4206-44dc-afff-94fe37f04a80.jpg

and

Missed Maple

40926_600.JPG

also:

Toys in the Attic

If you're going to attempt 'Toys', I would highly recommend that it be the only cache you do that day, and that you give yourself lots of time. I didn't actually get to the cache, as it was placed higher than I thought, but the trip was worth it. It's quite a climb, but the view is spectacular.

d9be3377-3631-431c-ac1b-1bf01618ea88.jpg

Mount Empress

1386331_400.JPG

AH!!!Mount Empress...Harbourview Rd... I remember when I could actually go there in my truck and now they took it all away and closed it off meaning the only way to get there and back, is one long hike. I hate the TLC and the way they lie their way to acquire land like they do. Now I'm positive there's only a few mortals who can actually make it there, I pity the old and cripple who can't make it there without the use of a vehicle. Just my 2 cent.

I think an athletic person could travel a pretty good chunk of the Juan de Fuca marine trail (perhaps it all one-way) in one day. There are a few rarely visited caches along the way but more importantly much of the area looks the same as when Captain Cook first arrived. Some huge trees, secluded beaches and wonderful intertidal area's. Daytime very low tides are a must.

A sweep of the East Sooke park coast would be an easier (but not too easy) version along the coast. It's not quite as "wild" or as far from town.

Edited by eroyd

yes TIREDIRON those gates...last time I was there you could 4x4 and park ontop of the cache if you wished.(2w driv within 80 m).unless you follow eroyds footsteps then thats a whole differant story..as for the gates being opened now all I can say is not a chance..

seems they had a small fire within 500m of that cache on the long wknd,choppers put it out with the MARS idling on the lake...

thursday @ 2:30 pm crews where sent home due to it being to hot...

LOOKS like its going to be an early fire season up there this year..

so a reminder to all if you want our remote access to become more curbed lets try and BECAREFULL OUT THERE..

As for the Mount Empress cache ZZ the quickest way in is from what the locals call Highways rd near the Potholes park gate (Harrison trail)..

And for those who dont know the TLC has their eye now on the Deertrails property...finally rid of the leech who never repaid his 1.5 million to the province.

With any luck the province will ante up with the distric of Sooke to expand the existing park,though not to likley( I think the amount of annual deaths/injurys liability maybe the problem for that to happen)....Gg

Edited by Goldguru

For my money, Goldguru's Mount Empress is the best hike/view of the bunch without question. Prevost Summit lacks the hike, Maple Mountain has a view facing South only, and Toys in The Attic has a great hike, but is not where it's advertised to be. All in all, Empress is the the best choice, IMHO.

Toys in The Attic has a great hike, but is not where it's advertised to be. 

My deepest apologies if the coordinates are off, this is the first I've heard of it. Feel free to log it as a find it if you genuinely feel my misleading you prevented the find.

The the views from the heights of the highest Mountain on southern Vancouver are spectacular, I would not suggest throwing all your eggs in one basket and going after this one. Mt Arrowsmith is a true mountain and it really would be dissappointing without lucking into nice weather. If you were heading towards the Pacific Rim National Park anyways then you could still fall back on some rather fine caches if the weather turned crappy.

Nearer Victoria, I'd still tend to suggest the West Coast if you want natural scenery. Victoria and SE Vancouver Island are very beautiful places but it's very much like your home in the U.K.