Is This Correct?

From the Delorme website:

FREE download of $50 worth of Aerial Data Packets (ADPs), including up-to-date aerial photos (DOQQs), 10-meter color satellite images, and scanned USGS 7.5-minute topographic maps (free downloads only available via Web download from the DeLorme 4-terabyte server). View and work with your imagery side-by-side with Topo USA's maps to gain an entirely new terrain perspective. $50 worth equals 50-square kilometers. Buy more when you want
:o
From the Delorme website:
FREE download of $50 worth of Aerial Data Packets (ADPs), including up-to-date aerial photos (DOQQs), 10-meter color satellite images, and scanned USGS 7.5-minute topographic maps (free downloads only available via Web download from the DeLorme 4-terabyte server). View and work with your imagery side-by-side with Topo USA's maps to gain an entirely new terrain perspective. $50 worth equals 50-square kilometers. Buy more when you want
:o

I ordered TopoUSA 5.0 Yesterday, but of course have not yet received it yet. I bought it because I was dissapointed with the maps I received when I bought Garmins Topo, and I had heard good things about the Delorme Maps.

The website does not seem to say what the maps are based on, only that one can download even better maps for a small charge ($50 worth included).

Delorme also sells a separate product called 3-D Topo-Quads 2.0:

From Delorme Website

Recommended for people who need affordable USGS quad maps with customization capabilities. A state-by-state series of authentic USGS 7.5-minute quadrangle maps combined with DeLorme's own topographic and street-level data. Complete with 2-D and 3-D viewing, drawing tools, elevation profiles, and measuring capabilities.

This product costs $99.95 per state, just like the NG series.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

Delorme's program is a little more suited for GPS use, however the detail and usability (at least in my opinion) are terrible. National Geographics map give you a lot more detail on the maps, and the ability to make a shaded relief really helps me understand what I am looking at.

I have NG Topo of the state of Colorado. These states maps cost about $99 for one state.

From reading here it seems I can get the whole western region of the US for $49 from Delorme. And, with better features.

Is that correct?

No..that would be incorrect

The 3D topo quads, sold by state, are based on 1:24000 usgs quad maps, and as such have a nice amount of detail. Topo Usa, the "apparent" bargain, does not say it is based on the fine detail of the 1:24000 USGS maps, and judging by the sample maps they show, are really lacking in detail. Also their omission of just what scale the "topo USA" maps are based on, should be an indication in itself that they are not as detailed as the 1:24K maps from either Delorme or National Geo.

Be careful, your not comparing apples to apples....actually more like apples to crabapples :D

If you were to go Garmins site, they offer two levels of detail also...one is called topo east...the other is us Topo 24K...the 24 K has much more detail than the other.

A simple e-mail to delorme will probably confirm this.

In my search for a better mapping program I have both NG Topo! and Delorme Topo. Which one is better depends on what your doing. Anne and I travel with a laptop computer connected to a gps. The Delorme works very well for this and general geocaching. Anne likes to use the split screen so she can see both two views(one close one farther out). Shading and 3D are also avaliable. I've found most roads and the topography to be close enough for most needs. On the negative side there are many geographical features missing, and even fewer man made features. Example one area that has lots of small lakes, Delorme only shows 3.

NG is based on scans of usgs maps. It's basicly seamless. However you can often tell where the edges of the quads are. The transistion is not always smooth. You get all the detail of usgs maps. If I plan on hiking the NG maps are a much better bet, even though more expensive.

The only area of the country I have to base this on is Oregon. If I travel outside of Oregon I have to use the Delorme.

My $0.02 worth.

In my search for a better mapping program I have both NG Topo! and Delorme Topo. Which one is better depends on what your doing. Anne and I travel with a laptop computer connected to a gps. The Delorme works very well for this and general geocaching. Anne likes to use the split screen so she can see both two views(one close one farther out). Shading and 3D are also avaliable. I've found most roads and the topography to be close enough for most needs. On the negative side there are many geographical features missing, and even fewer man made features. Example one area that has lots of small lakes, Delorme only shows 3.

NG is based on scans of usgs maps. It's basicly seamless. However you can often tell where the edges of the quads are. The transistion is not always smooth. You get all the detail of usgs maps. If I plan on hiking the NG maps are a much better bet, even though more expensive.

The only area of the country I have to base this on is Oregon. If I travel outside of Oregon I have to use the Delorme.

My $0.02 worth.

I think most people are missing the point here...before you decide on one "brand" map vs another....make sure you are comparing products of the same map scale. A delorme 1:24000 topo, regardless of brand preference, will have more detail than a N Geographic of 1:100,000 scale, and vice versa. The scale of the maps is what provides the detail, and thus it's "size" as a digital file. How can you have the whole eastern US on one CD and just one state on another....simple...the amount of detail provided, or simply, the scale of the map.

"True" scanned USGS 1:24,000 topo maps will always show a slight variation in colors across map quads. That's a normal variation you will get between different map scans done at different times, by different scanners. For the most part, map vendors like Delorme and National Geo, use these 1:24,000 quads as supplied from USGS, with little or no added detail. What they do add is the "seamless Look" of color blending bordering maps, integrating digital elevation data with the "2D" USGS 24 K maps, and in some cases 3d rendering.

As a final note...living in the New York metroploitan area..all the USGS 1:24,000 quad topo maps are available for free to anyone to download from our US government. These are scanned images of the original USGS maps. There are a number of "free" map viewers available on-line for you "test drive" the detail of these maps(globall mapper, 3-DEM,OZI-explorer, etc.). And there are also a number of software packages, like OZi-explorer, which for a modest fee(also has free trial version) will let you use this "free" USGS source of 24K maps to make your own personalized maps, trails, waypoints, tracks, and notes .....including the uploading and downloading of tracks, trails, routes etc. to your GPs units .

"Free" maps is a misnomer.....As taxpayers, we already paid for these 1:24K maps to be produced and scanned.....since you already paid for it....don't feel bad about using it :D

I use NG Topo and have the Northeastern states. Good program and I like their MapX Change where people post the routes for trails throughout the USA. You can lay them over the maps and see the trails. You can also create waypoints from the tracks to download into your GPS. I haven't tried this but I suppose you can create waypoints for trail tracks without the NG Topo maps for the area. Then download into GPS and upload to Mapsoiurce Topo (Anyone try this?)

Keep in mind if you're out of the area of your maps, or don't have your disks or just in a rush like me, you can get 24K from Topozone by one click on the cache page for the area around the cache.

Alan

Edited by Alan2

Stevesiski

Have you owned both NG and Topo 5. or 4. by DeLorme?

I find DeLorme's Vector based to lack alot of details inclucding trails,brooks,etc. at any level compared to NGTopo's program. And it is not as accurate. I've taken tracks were I was on the summit top and loaded them into the programs and the Delorme's Vector base showed me off center were as their USGS and NGTopo's showed me on the summit.

Their trails are more up to date in the vector now but alot of them are missing.

Also the DeLorme's USCG Quad that I got with the ADP's isn't nearly as sharp as the NGSeries.

Stevesiski

Have you owned both NG and Topo 5. or 4. by DeLorme?

I find DeLorme's Vector based to lack alot of details inclucding trails,brooks,etc. at any level compared to NGTopo's program. And it is not as accurate. I've taken tracks were I was on the summit top and loaded them into the programs and the Delorme's Vector base showed me off center were as their USGS and NGTopo's showed me on the summit.

Their trails are more up to date in the vector now but alot of them are missing.

Also the DeLorme's USCG Quad that I got with the ADP's isn't nearly as sharp as the NGSeries.

Actually, I don't own either of them. Currently I am downloading (for free) The USGS 1:24,000 quads and viewing them in Ozi Explorer, Global mapper, and 3 DEM. USGS also produces 1:100,000 scale maps, which obviously have much less detail.

My point is, that if you don't know the scale of the maps you are comparing...you really can't make a comparison. For example, it's pointless to compare one company's "state series" (1:24K), to another companies "regional" (1:100K) series. Topo 5 which you mentioned, appears to be based on the 1:100K maps, and you are comparing them to NG, but you don't say which NG. If it's the NG regional series (1:100K), than you have a fair comparison...If it's the NG state series, your comparing topo 5 (1:100K) to NG state (1:24K), which wouldn't be a fair comparison.

I have borrowed the New York state series (1:24K) of both Delorme and National Geo to compare them, and personally I like the NG better. If I purchased one it would be NG.

Right now I download the free DEM (digital elevation) maps from USGS, and load them into Global Mapper where I can designate different color levels for different elevations..then using global mapper, I can generate labeled contour lines at what ever interval I want..finally I overlay another map product, DOT, which shows all the roads, bldgs etc. To me, the finished result is awesome, but admittedly a lot of work. Something most people wouldn't care to futz around with.

To stricly use a product in conjunction with a GPS...I would use the NG State series Topo.

As far as you location being off in the Delorme map...could be a number of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with the accuracy of the map, some of which do.

The Topo 5.0 quad maps that have to be bought extra within the ADP's are the same as NGTopo has scanned except the qualilty of the scanning is much better in NG's. The vector based maps that consist of 5.0 don't have nearly the detail at any level as the NG's or their own Quads. I was suprised they missed alot of trails and brooks to name a couple. But I'm not surprised knowing how they make these vector based programs. But I bought it because I like the 3-D and ADP's they have and have bought $ 250.00 worth so far. Also I thought it might offer more flex in using tracks and waypoints,but I've found it doesn't do nearly as much as I had hoped. I still have to use Garmins Topo and NG's to get things done.

The DeLorme's 5.0's Vector base is off were as their Quad is right on. There is no other settings to be done to correct it as far as the consumer goes that I can see. I will keep working on it but I have spend considerable time with it so far.

But for $60.00 it works in some ways.

Capt.

Delorme's maps are based on vecotr data, and do NOT have the detail that the NG raster maps have. If price is a concern, try www.expertgps.com it uses the same raser USGS maps tha NG uses, and you get the whole USA, for only $60. try their demo which is fully functional. Plus, no other program works as well with a GPS.

Delorme's maps are based on vecotr data, and do NOT have the detail that the NG raster maps have. If price is a concern, try www.expertgps.com it uses the same raser USGS maps tha NG uses, and you get the whole USA, for only $60. try their demo which is fully functional. Plus, no other program works as well with a GPS.

I tried it and didn't find it as good as the other programs I have. But I have to use all of the programs to do what I want.

Jim