Forum Topics

For those familiar with the game of Letterboxing you will know that it is a parallel game to geocaching but traditionally played with map and compass and clues passed by 'word of mouth'.

Having been a letterboxer for many years I am currently considering a crossover into geocaching using the unique rubber stamps in place of the cache (image and word art in rubber)

I understand that in the US. where stamps are used in geocaching they are known as hybrids. but as yet the concept new to UK geocaching!

Being mistaken for a regular cache, my only concern would be that the stamps would get carried off! in the take something leave something rule.

Would the idea work?

Or more importantly is the concept acceptable to you in geocaching?

I would welcome your comments, please give me some feedback!

AKA Dysynni Squeezeboxers

There used to be a series of five caches that I know about that had a stamp in each one, but that was not for letterboxing, it was part of the cache series that you had to collect a card and then collect the right stamp at each one to fill up the card. As far as I am aware, with decent instructions about what to do with the stamp being included in the cache box (say, on a lamintaed card for instance), it is unlikely anyone will take it as a swap by mistake.

Having said that, someone did swap the pencil sharpener out of one of mine a while back. Come to think of it, I never did replace it! (makes mental note...)

I had to review a letterbox hybrid for the first time the other day. I read the guidelines and checked with the other reviewers.

"Letterbox Hybrid

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting that uses clues to direct hunters to a hidden container. Each letterbox contains a stamp which is the signature for that box. Most letterboxers have their own personal stamps and personal logbooks. They stamp the letterbox logbook with their personal stamp, and use the stamp contained in the letterbox to “sign” their personal logbook.

Letterbox hybrids are a mixture of letterbox and geocache. They should contain a signature stamp that stays with the box, and they must conform to the guidelines for traditional caches and therefore must contain a logbook. They must be referenced by latitude and longitude, not just clues. Whether or not the letterbox hybrid contains trade items is up to the owner. In most cases personal stamp and personal logbook are not necessary to be a seeker of a letterbox hybrid. "

So my read is that the start point must be referenced by lat/long co-ords. There must be a minimum in the cache of BOTH log book to sign (oblig) and stamp and pad. How the seeker gets from the published co-ords can be a mixture of clues and co-ords or just co-ords.

On these criteria I was able to let the hybrid go live.

Being mistaken for a regular cache, my only concern would be that the stamps would get carried off!  in the take something leave something rule.

I have a multi-cache that has two physical boxes. The first is a small, round 'Tupperware' box that contains a key. The key is attached to the box with a length of chain and the box is half filled with 'potting resin'. The seeker need to take the key (complete with box) with them to open the final box and then replace the 'key container' on their return journey.

When I set the cache, I pessimistically thought that the key would probably go missing in the first few weeks but after 25 visits, it's still in place. :rolleyes:<_<

Edited by Pharisee

:rolleyes: We have a wee off-topic variation on the stamping theme.

I label a lot of discs and end up with a pile of unused rectangular sticky labels on the Pressit style A4 sheets I tend to use.

The matt paper ones I simply stick on jiffy bags in order to re-use them, covering the original address and postage stamps.

I was stuck for a good way of using the photo quality ones - then I though of turning them into personlised "stamps". A quick bit of cutting & pasting and nifty sissor work and the result is a load of sticky-backed "stamps" for use in logbooks at caches. We use our avatar (left) as the main graphic. The print quality on this type paper is really sharp and clear.

I have just found another use for these otherwise binned labels, I use them for inserts into keyring blanks - this time for depositing in caches as a calling card.