Cache Hiding question

New England n00b

Well, I am starting to plan out my first hide (which won't be implemented for quite a while yet - I'm just planning so ic an gather ideads).

The 'rules' say that you cannot bury the cache, which makes sense.

BUT, can you dig a small hole, place the cache inside, and cover the hole with a rock? (So that no digging is required by the finders)

These are the containers I am thinking about using, opinions?

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

I think it depends on who owns the land where you're putting the cache. There are always exceptions to rules, such as when you're putting it in your backyard. But I don't think most parks would be pleased with your digging a hole, and it might lend credence to those who say, "See, geocachers are harming our land." If you don't have permission, and a park ranger comes across the cache, they're going to think that's how geocaching works.

The guidelines say:

Caches that are buried - If a shovel/trowel/pointy object is used to dig - in order to hide or find a cache - it's not appropriate.

That kind of hide is not uncommon. There is a fine libe between digging a hole and 'scooping out a depression'. My only real objection is that that technique can make a cache VERY hard to find. That can lead to further destruction of the landscape by frustrated seekers.

In my area, caches in a hole under a rock often have some sort of symbol drawn/painted on the rock. It does not have to be very big. Just something you can see when you look directly at the rock.

-WR

A GeoCache is a LetterBox where coordinates are one of the clues.

Digging a hole to place a cache is not allowed. There are plenty of natural depressions in the ground that will work fine.

quote:
In my area, caches in a hole under a rock often have some sort of symbol drawn/painted on the rock. It does not have to be very big. Just something you can see when you look directly at the rock.

That practice will really go over well with park officials and other land managers. Seesh!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm