Which Software Is Better?

You are going to need the software that goes with whatever brand of GPS you own.

Having said that...

I have Garmin MapSource TopoUSA because I own 5 Garmin GPSes. I like MapSource, but it's what I have to use. There are tons of things I would do differently if I were writing it, but I don't have that convenience.

I won Magellan Topo (MapSend?) at one of our geocaching get-togethers last fall. I installed it and played with it for a few days just to see how it worked. I didn't see any advantage to it over MapSource. It does similar things, just differently. The maps weren't any better than Garmins, in fact, I thought the Garmin maps were a little better around my neck of the woods. Don't take offense Magellan folks, I have no problems with Magellan--it was just an observation. Neither package had excellent topo maps--they were both in the 1:100000 scale.

If you are attempting to base your purchase of a GPSR based on the software on the PC, I'd suggest rethinking your strategy. Get the device that meets your needs, then buy the appropriate software to go with it.

-E

For downloading topos into your gps you must use the software that matches your gps product. For the best topo map that works with any type of GPS I recommend National Geographics TOPO! software. Very easy to use and very detailed maps. However the topos do not load into the GPS, just the waypoints and tracks.

I have both mapsend TOPO, and mapsource topo.

Mapsource PRO's (Garmin).

1. I think it better represents land features since it is scanned right from 1:100,000 maps.

CON'S

1. Road data is older than mapsend product.

2. Few road names.

3. Does not appear to be a way to search items once in my GPS V (POI's, parks, water ways etc...)

Mapsend PRO's (Magellan)

1. Street maps appear to be a little newer, it also has road names.

2. Can look up all POI's, parks, waterways etc...

3. Elevation profiles on the unit.

4. Find address with the unit / topo maps.

Mapsend Con's

1. The elevation data does not seem as accurate at times (some times steams run uphill)

2. Maps seem to be have less resolution than 1:100,000 maps.

Wyatt W.

My experience is that I use the proprietary map software only for generating maps to upload to the GPSr. I turn to other map programs (e.g., NG Topo!, DeLorme Topo USA, ExpertGPS, MS Streets&Trips) to do other tasks because they do them so much better.