Underwater Cache

Cranky MacFarland

Is it possible to hide/maintain a cache that would be underwater for a good deal of the time? If there is such a thing, what kind of container would work? Although I'm new to geocaching, I think I remember reading in one of the FAQs that caches should be long-term commitments. I suppose the owner of the cache could periodically check the integrity/waterproofness. What do you think?

There are a number of scuba caches that require diving. Because bouncing up and down between the surface and any appreciable depth is a problem for a number of technical reasons, often what is submerged is a plaque with coordinates for another stage. That also eliminates the problem of having to keep a container watertight for extended periods.

I recently was intrigued with hiding a cache underwater so I did a search of the forums and found someone in England who had set up a cache and he gave me a lot of great advice. My cache, Liberty Bay Resort, is composed of simple 4" PVC pipe segments that have been glued together: I have two threaded ends coupled in the center. They were very easy to find at the local hardware store. This container was not waterproof because the threads on the PVC pipe would only keep out water if it was tightned on so hard that no one would be able to open it. So, I had to find a waterproof container to put inside it. I luckily found a peanut butter jar (plastic) that was an absolute perfect fit. I made it waterproof by lining the lid with rubberized cork. It was a simple job of sinking the cache by tying it to a lead weight from the local sporting good store. 6# was all it took. It has been doing great for the short time it has existed.

My first finder suggested another idea, which she is going to carry out, of using a waterpoof bag surrounding a normal box container. But, if you want more details on that idea, I suggest you ask her!

Best of luck!

First of all remember this.... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TOTALLY WATERPROOF CACHE!!

Regardless of container the contents are going to get soaked. Heck they get soaked on dry land even in such things as ammo boxes. Cachers don't close things up well, they open them and allow water to enter.

So if you want a hydro/scuba/underwater cache then count on it getting wet.

An underwater plaque works great for a little multi stage. A container that freely allows water to enter works great. Just use a divers dive slate for a log.