Meridian Vs Legend?

Own : Meridian paltinum

Recomend: Meridian Gold.

Me too.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my MeriPlat, it's just that I could have saved a few bucks on the Gold. The difference is that the MeriPlat has a barometer, thermometer and magnetic copmass, where the Gold doesn't (it still has a GPS based compass).

The Meridian gold/platinum have a 16mb base map, and you can add unlimited memory for more maps, and more detailed maps (it uses industry standard SD cards). I have a 256MB card and I have the four corners states, Nevada, Wyoming and parts of CA on it. If I did more travelling, I'd just get more cards, or a bigger card, and have more maps.

I'm not sure about the gold, but the platinum will also do autorouting if you have a Magelland Direct Route map loaded.

I don't know anything about the Legend. I've only used 2 Garmins and found them hard to use (probably because I'm used to Magellans).

I chose a MeriGold over the legend last summer, but your needs may differ from mine.

One of the biggest differences is in size, the Meridian is much bigger. Of course it also has a bigger display. Another difference is that the Meridians take SD memory cards (like some PDAs and Cameras), where the legend has a fixed amount of internal memory. If you want a very large map area (or areas) stored on the unit so you do not have to run back to your PC to switch maps the Meridian is a better choice (assuming you invest in 1 or more reasonable size SD cards). Of course this only matters if you plan to buy the software with the detailed maps. The maps are also different, both basemaps and the more detailed maps from the software. Depending where you live one may (or may not) provide better maps. You can see the detail of the Garmin maps online, but Magellan does not offer such a service, so you will need to find someone with a Magellan and the MapSend software if you want to compare. I can't recall any other big differences, but it has been a while since I was shopping.

I really like my MeriGold, no regrets with it. I was also very happy with my eTrex yellow until I replaced it to get more features.

According to http://gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/magellanbasemap.htm the Meridians will take 512 MB SD cards. I have seen people post on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian/ that the 512MB units do indeed work, at least with the latest firmware. I have never tried the 256 MB SD I own, the 16MB it came with holds a pretty good size area (Alberta & British Columbia) at least with the non-topo/non-routing maps.

There is a lot of info here:

http://gpsinformation.net/MeridianFAQv2_0.pdf

about the Meridian GPS units. But be careful, some of the tricks in there can break your GPSr if done incorrectly.

I have had the Legend for 1.5 years and the base model Meridian for over a year. I only got the Meridian because it was on sale for $100 and I got the Mapsend Streets CD for next to nothing. Add a 128MB SD card for $40 and this is arguably the best deal in a full featured GPSr.

To compare:

The Legend: is very small in form/size and best when used one handed.

It has very good screen resolution, with great maps. The interface is very easy and logical. The readings are very accurate and quick acting while mobile. The tracking utility is very good. There is a better retreival of waypoints. You can display trip time--total, moving and stopped--sometimes useful. Other: displays lat/long in 10ths of a second, and has more coord systems such as Maidenhead.

The Magellan: Best if used in a car/boat with vertical mounting, one finger button pushing. The unit floats, has a large screen (but lower resolution.) There are 2 levels of backlighting and the buttons light up. Accurate, sensitive receiver, quad-helix antenna receives in more locations (under trees, under covers.) The SD card is great for both waypoint/route management and mapping---can load lots of street, topo, marine maps and quickly switch amoung them. Other nice features: Alarms (proximity), name of cache in the comments area of the waypoint page. You can project a waypoint in one-hundredths of a degree-- and in yards (under a mile distance.) Displays a secondary coord/datum.

Both nice GPSrs and I am keeping them both. If I could only have one......it would be the Meridian.

The short coming of the Basic Meridian is it's firmware/basemap memory. The latest firmware is smaller than the Gold/Platinum. I believe that the Basic functions with the Directroute but the limited memory will certainly limit the adding of future features through firmware upgrades.

The Basic was dropped from the Meridian line a while ago. If it can still be purchased it is from a closeout warehouse type store.

I would spend the extra money, even though the Basic will do everything the Gold will.

For what it is worth, the two meridians under the “Gold” are recently discontinued. It is hard to say how long Magellan will offer support and repair on them. I would guess at least a year and maybe longer, but would not look for any new firmware updates. A difference in function is auto routing with DR. The Gold will, the lower models will not.

Yup, what he said. The post above was added while I was "one finger typing" :mad:

Edited by Cherokeecacher

One last piece of advise. :mad: After reading these posts, you should have a better grasp of the differences in function between the two units you asked about. Keeping this info in mind, I would take two sets of AA batteries, polarized sunglasses (if you use polarized sunglasses), and go to a retailer that carries both units in question. Offer to leave your driver license at the counter, and take both units out side, preferably on a bright, sunny, day, and test them out for yourself.

In my case the Vista was a bad purchase and the screen to small. The Platinum i had was purfect no probs at all, no backlash, or any compass probs.

Meridian Gold with Direct Route is better than any eTrex.

Higher Priced:

The 60C is better than the MeriColor, except for it's now concidered SMALL memory. The 60C should have been 128 meg memory.

Edited by GOT GPS?