Is This A Sign Of Things To Come?

I've been looking at this for days. This is really great but expensive stuff.

http://www.garmin.com/marinenetworking/

I am in no position to afford such equipment, but I'm hoping that it is a sign of things to come as prices get cheaper.

That makes sense. The industry is stuck on RS232, so instead of moving to USB they head to ethernet. :(:D:D:D

The wheels of progress or slow but grind exceedingly fine.

bluetooth (or some variant) might become a future standard for these types of devices but currently a hard-wired solution is probably most reliable and easiest to deliver.

not only are we talking about a gps receiver here, but also a sounder device (potentially with depth and temp) as well as weather, radio and a variety of other types of info. garmin is also talking about a future radar product to be integrated and undoubtedly (my guess here) will surprise us with some type of forward-scanning sonar in future (also found the composite inputs interesting - can i use my very expensive gps screen as a really low-res dvd player monitor? :( ).

this is a lot of bluetooth info to simultaneously receive and process and especially considering that this product is all about sharing info across multiple head units.

ethernet is fast, cheap and reliable.

that said, wireless will undoubtedly happen - it's just a matter of when and in what particular iteration.

Edited by Vlad