The Thrill Of Exchanging Cache Items

centsign

I get a big thrill out of finding the cache, signing the logbook and reporting the find on the web. I get absolutely nothing out of exchanging cache items. In fact, I find it all clutter as I dig my way to the logbook. Am I unusual or are there others that feel the same? Thanks.

Oh, I don't know. :D Perhaps because I'm new to the game, I keep hoping to find buried treasure. If more players would actually leave something of value, I think it would add to the fun, particularly for kids who enjoy surprises. I think some of you old-timers have become too jaded. :(

After 2 and a half years of this, I still open the cache with a sense of anticipation. I admit though that I'm surprised if there is anything decent inside, so its not often that I find anything worth trading out. However if the cache is a good one in a quality container, I'll often leave a few things to spice it up a bit.

Edited by briansnat

No big thrill! I would guess that I am probably at about 75% TNLN vs. traded. I am always interested to see what's in the 'cache, but I am not really fussed one way or the other if it's full of broken McToys or hundred dollar bills (Ok, I guess "Took $100 bill, left used golfball would be hard to resist :D ) but really, the hunt and the find is the important part for me. I wouldn't mind at all if I could leave all my trade swag at home and just tote a pencil sharpener and pencil. Just my $00.005 (Cdn value after exchange rate :( ) worth.

It's usually nothing I'd be interested in, but it sure gets my kids excited enough to come along with me. And if they're caching with me, they aren't watching tv or playing video games! I figure I'm the big winner if people keep putting stuff in the caches. I've been surprised by what they want to take too. Bungee cords seem to be the latest thing for them!

I've posted a similar thread about this issue. What I got was bad response because. IM one of those

cachers that will trade how ever I will not trade for trash period. Some feel that for those of us that do

alot of TNLN we are the problem, Because your not doing anything to improve the cache. My feelings are if

there's trash in the cache IM willing to trade my trash for your trash. We all have the Mcdonald trash

in our cars old napkins ect. I just set up a cache and ask for responses on how I did four find and every

body was happy with the cache. I will check up on my cache and If I start finding trash I will have to shut

it down, Because isn't it against the law to litter? Whats the difference if you leaving trash in the woods, park

or a nice view site. I would rather have who ever it is just throw your trash out the window of your car before you

get to my cache that way your not leaving it in my cache.

it sure gets my kids excited enough to come along with me.

Same here. But I like to trade too, in fact I consider it to be an integral part of the game. From the FAQ:

What are the rules in Geocaching?

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

If I TNLNSL then I feel like I'm only doing one of the three. I even keep tiny items in my trade bag to squeeze into log-only micros.

I think we are all in it for the hunt. I still after a little more than 100 finds still love trading. I always bring a big bag of swag and trade junk. It's mostly all junk, but it's fun. It makes me feel like a kid again or something, playing with all those toys. They all end up going into a cache that I make, so they all get put back out there again anyway.

I've posted a similar thread about this issue. What I got was bad response because. IM one of those

cachers that will trade how ever I will not trade for trash period. Some feel that for those of us that do

alot of TNLN we are the problem, Because your not doing anything to improve the cache. My feelings are if

there's trash in the cache IM willing to trade my trash for your trash. We all have the Mcdonald trash

in our cars old napkins ect. I just set up a cache and ask for responses on how I did four find and every

body was happy with the cache. I will check up on my cache and If I start finding trash I will have to shut

it down, Because isn't it against the law to litter? Whats the difference if you leaving trash in the woods, park

or a nice view site. I would rather have who ever it is just throw your trash out the window of your car before you

get to my cache that way your not leaving it in my cache.

I understand what you are saying. I am often disappointed in the contents of a cache but I always hope for something great. I always leave my signature patch even if there is nothing to trade for it. And I will sometimes take something that I am less than thrilled with as a momento of the experience. I try to leave more than I took and upgrade the cache a little but I dojn't think this is a requirement. My only pet peeve is those that sign the online log TNLN and don't give me their story about the cache. That is what I really value more than anything else.

I get a big thrill out of finding the cache, signing the logbook and reporting the find on the web. I get absolutely nothing out of exchanging cache items. In fact, I find it all clutter as I dig my way to the logbook. Am I unusual or are there others that feel the same? Thanks.

Most of the caching I do is on the spur of the moment... I've got the caches in the GPS, I've got a few spare minutes to find it, so I just get out there, sign the book and get back. I really can't lug around a bag-o-trade items of varying value, so I don't bother. For me the most fun is the fact that the time I have to find a cache is most often, very short. I've had to run to find caches. Most people think I'm a jogger, which often looks funny because I'm in kahkis and a dress shirt.

I have just started, but since I began this game to do something special with my kids, I love the caches with trinkets. I have a bag of different kinds of trinkets, for different kinds of caches. I am especially looking forward to the trinket specific caches in my area, like coffee mugs and beer!

I ususllay let my kids keep a trinket, but my first cache I found a snowman soap and I collect snowmen, so figured it was a !sign!

Keep 'em coming!

ccc :mad:

It's usually nothing I'd be interested in, but it sure gets my kids excited enough to come along with me. And if they're caching with me, they aren't watching tv or playing video games! I figure I'm the big winner if people keep putting stuff in the caches. I've been surprised by what they want to take too. Bungee cords seem to be the latest thing for them!

I have to agree with capjab, I feel it is all worth the fun when we can get the kids out of the house. We are new to this, but my kids have a bag of trade stuff that some are new and others are just stuff they are not into playing with any more maybe they outgrew them or whatever but I think the best part is the kids are not watching tv or playing video games they are outdoors with the family. thats where they belong this is a wonderfull family activity and I am so glad we got into it. I plan to find diferent caches in the places we camp or go for the weekends. I think this is a neat way to get out and see new areas. :mad:

I usually post XNSL. (eXchanged Nothing, Signed Log.) It saves a couple keystrokes over posting TNLNSL, and by saving two bytes per post, reduces the load on geocaching.com's overloaded servers.

That being said, I do riffle through the swag to see if there's anything cool to trade. I keep a carabiner in my pocket just in case I find something cool to trade for. Usually that doesn't happen though.

The Blaylockgang loves trading items! We have a huge bag filled with stuff to trade, and we keep alot of what we trade for, just as a memento of the fun we had searching! We don't leave trash, but will remove it from caches if we find it. I love frogs, so I'm always looking for frog items in caches. We do love the hunt, but we're like little kids looking for treasure! :mad:

I have to side with those that enjoy "The Junk". I have a backpack full of trade items that we refer to as The Cache Bag. Not only do I enjoy the trade, but my kids love to pick threw the treasures and chose what they want to take and leave. Another thing, along with my sig item I always try to trade up. Thats the only down side, to find some old broken junk in the bottom of the cache because some dont want to leave something nice behind. It's not that hard to run down to Wal Mart or the 99 cent store and stock up a nice cache bag :D .

:D

We just found our first cache yesterday! My teenage son loved that we found a Star Wars video tape - he's never seen it. We left behind a NOW That's What I Call Music #15 CD (just came out this month).

My question - when posting the visit on the website, are we supposed to reveal what exchanging we did and/or what is in the cache box? Or is that supposed to remain a secret?

Thank you very much!

Trades are generally reported as to what was took and what was left. It's part of the fun to see when/who grabs your trade items, and what's popular. That being said, I rarely trade because that's not why I'm doing it. It fun to see what the caches contain, and if I see something I want I'll trade for it. But not often.

We still like to trade. It's also fun to look at the log (what was the weather like on that day? problems with the find?) Whenever we find a cache that has gone down hill so to speak, we leave quite a few items behind and we remove the mildewed paper and broken toys. One of our favorite things to find are signature items. We like to look at the online logs to see if any of our swag gets taken by others.

I used to TN, leave a Sacagawea dollar a lot. But, I've come round a bit and now carry a fairly substantial bag of swag with me. Nothing really cool, though. A bit heavy on the office supplies, perhaps. But no junk. One finder even emailed me that the white-out pen I left in a cache saved her son's school project the night before it was due!

Still looking for cool, unusual trade items. . . it's the beginning of garage sale season. Maybe I'll have some luck there.

Depends on the cache. I like trading but too often there are just miscellaneous odds and ends that don't interest me. However, on occasion, there is something that is interesting to me . . . or more often than not, to another member of the team. Sometimes those trade experiences are priceless. If it is me alone, trade is a low priority but I love 'to pay' for a worthy cache.

I have only found 18, but I enjoy looking thru the "junk". I have been trying to trade up, even if only slightly. I am usually kinda excited when zeroing in on a cache and after I spot it I kinda get excited about looking inside. It doesn't make sense to me that some people think there should not be anything in a cache but a log book. If that is all your interested in just snatch out the log book, sign it and move on. Somebody will be by with a kid that will have a ball looking thru the "junk". It should be fun for ALL!

My kids are the ones who are really thrilled about cache finds. When we first started a year ago they went for the McToys. Now it's pocket knives and things that they find cool. Myself, I just enjoy the hunt. I do understand what others are saying about the lack of interesting items in a cache find. We do try to trade up so to speak. It has seemed to me the more difficult the cache the better the trade. Unlike the cache and grab ones. The online logs are almost a treasure themselves. I just really enjoy the creative writing in some of the logs.

I've grown a new appreciation for the "dollar stores" in the area. Recently found a whole bunch of laser pointers with replaceable tips for only a dollar each. They fit nicely in a regular cache and are fun to play with. Silly as it sounds, one of my favorite finds has been a Miller Lite key chain. Don't know why, I don't even drink beer.

Depends entirely on the cache. There are caches that I've gone shopping a a nice outdoors store just so I felt I had something worthwhile to trade. There are caches that I just leave something behind in. Honestly, my son has gotten toys, my wife has a great multi-tool (yeah, yeah, I know), and I've had fun shopping for stuff I thought would be nice for others to find.

I probably need to order some more geocoins and TBs just so I have some nice swag to leave behind. My swag bag is getting a little empty as of late.

like most of life - you can only control how you respond.

One of our favorite finds is a small plastic skunk with no arms(it think it is Flower from Disney's Bambi). We had a fun ride back to town discussing how she lost her arms, how amazing she was without them, what an inspiration,etc. Our imaginations made the "junk" fun!

As much as I enjoy the walks and seeing new places, I also enjoy the thrill I get, the anticipation, when I open a cache. It's like a grab bag, you never know what you are going to find. I haven't found any real great treasures, nor do I really expect to, but the possibility of finding a signature item, a geocoin, something unusual, is fun. I keep my cache backpack packed, so I can go at the drop of a hat and I have it stocked with signature items, extra trade items and one expensive, nice trade item, incase someday I do find that 'treasure'. I'll be able to trade even or up.

I enjoy the trading, mainly because I always make a point to place NEW items in the cache, even if they are dollar store items. I get enjoyment from imaging some kids get all 'Christmassy-eyed' when they open a cache.

The last two caching days I have done, I did not have my stuff with me, and I felt kinda bad TNLNSL. But that is just me. When it comes to "fair" trading, I could care less if I leave a new set of allen wrenches and take a rock. It still feels good to give. And I still look at the one cache where I pulled a compass - I really wanted one but at the time did not have the spare cache to get one. I left something (I forget what) and got a lot of use out of that little compass. If I hadn't gotten a nice one for christmas, I'd still be using it. I keep it with me in the pack still. Dunno why. Kinda sentimental or something. Maybe just mental. :D

If you are a TNLNSL, I am perfectly fine with that, too. It isn't what I like to do, but to each their own.

Whatever you do in regards to caching, enjoy it! Just leave the cache in as good a shape as you found it.

EDIT: Gizmo & Brazin, VERY well said. Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a 'high value item'? I like that idea, and I think I'll do it as well!

Edited by New England n00b

I honestly don't care about the monetary value of trade items I might find in a cache. If an item only cost someone a nickel but it's fun, or entertaining, or odd, or interesting, or colorful, etc ... then that's all that matters.

The only reason I trade items is to have something interesting to bring home for the kids. Or if they're with me, I let them pick out things from the cache as well as help them pick things from the swag bag to put into the cache. They're only 5 and 3 so they don't have much sense of monetary value, so I help them out with trading fairly when they're along with me.

Yes, I like seeing what's in the cache because it's interesting to see what folks have left behind. Otherwise we'd just be doing letterboxing, not geocaching. :D

New England n00b - I actually have two items (I'm optimistic!): One is a pewter Boeing plane-shaped travel clock in a velvet case. The other is an old fashioned man's pocket watch. I picked up the watch on sale and then had an additional % off coupon, so ended up with a $100. watch for $35! Both items are special and not sure what I'll trade for, but just in case I find something, I'll be ready!

I'm pretty new, but I enjoy going through all the items in the cache. It's kind of like my 'reward' for finding it, to spend some time sifting through it.

I don't think I've ever taken anything yet, but I always leave something that either matches the cache theme or that I think other people will like. I have a box in my car filled with cache goodies, and when it runs out I'll go to the dollar store.

My favorite item to find? New batteries!

Cat

My son (11) and I go chaching, and about half the time my daughter (9) goes as well (although my oldest daughter (15) wouldn't be caught dead caching!). They love the anticipation of "what's inside the cache"! I carry a fairly good sized bag of geo-loot in my pack, and always make sure to trade up if there's something the kids or I want. My son even carries a small bag of geo-loot of his own for trading in his pack. Myself, I usually don't find anything that I want, but will normally leave something anyway, particularly if the cache needs help.

Although I have gotten a couple of cool items in the past. On one of my earliest caches, I got a digital pedometer that I still use to this day while caching, and of course Fishpoet's Geotoken was a great find after a long, tough hike!

Maybe in time I'll become more jaded, but I hope not. While the main thrill for me is the hunt/hike/find, I still like seeing what's inside the cache and am always hoping to find that proverbial "diamond in the rough"!!! Maybe that's why I prefer traditionals over micros, and the ones that require a longer hike to get to rather than "cache & grabs".

It depends on the mood I'm in. I have a bag of stuff for trading, but I sometimes forget to bring it. In that case, I won't take anything because I can't leave anything. The thrill for me is the hunt. But if I were hunting with kids, I can understand how they would like the trading aspect. I try to leave items that aren't junk, although the definition of that varies from person to person. LOL

Some caches, the hunt is better than finding a $20 dollar bill inside (um err maybe) unfortunately they are also some of the only ones with really good swag. Unless you strike it lucky 1/1 caches aren't likely to have good stuff for very long. (sigh...what a shame)

Another question:

Are there guidelines regarding leaving food in a cache? I think a snack bag of Doritos has enough preservatives to last several months and won't melt. Are wild animals a concern? Do cachers want to see food in the cache? Granola bars? Fruit rollups? Hard candy?

Thanks for answering my last one!