Failure to find is not posted - maybe!!

Ellteejak

Okay. I would like to know the following. Has everyone who has failed to find a GEOCACHE actually posted the failure to find? maybe this is more common than thought.

Just a small survey. I have posted two failures and not posted the other two failures. Based on that all failure to finds need to be doubled, to get a clear picture of how many are not found. It depends on the averages.

Also I think that many failure to finds are not posted because someone goes back multiple times and eventually finds the spot, then only posts it as a find.

Based on the responses I can guess how many times people fail to find geocaches. Maybe its a lot more often then is being recognized? Maybe it is a lot less.

The way I do it, if I really really search for a cache and determine that I can't find it AND I won't be coming back to look any more, I mark it as not found.

If I kinda look around for a bit, but can't find it - but I intend to come back and try again in a day or two when I have more time... that is when I won't mark it.

So, only once I am nearly positive that it isn't there, and when I've decided that I won't look anymore - that's the only time I'd probably post a not found.

One good thing - you can mark something as a "not found" and then if you DO go back and find it, you can just edit your log entry on that cache and make it a "found" instead.

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's WEBCAM >==--

quote:
Originally posted by ktjensen:

Okay. I would like to know the following. Has everyone who has failed to find a GEOCACHE actually posted the failure to find? maybe this is more common than thought.

You are exactly right. Many people's ego will not allow them to post a failure. Other people post a 'not found' and then delete it after they go back and find the cache.

It is not uncommon for me to fail to find 'easy' caches. Sometimes my head just isn't in the game.

I log my "couldn't finds."

If I were to make a second (third, fourth, etc.) attempt and missed again, I would post an additional "couldn't find" for each failed attempt.

And if I were to eventually find the blasted thing, icon_eek.gif I would post a "Found it" log and leave the "couldn't find" logs as part of the cache's, and my own, history.

I log my "couldn't finds."

If I were to make a second (third, fourth, etc.) attempt and missed again, I would post an additional "couldn't find" for each failed attempt.

And if I were to eventually find the blasted thing, icon_eek.gif I would post a "Found it" log and leave the "couldn't find" logs as part of the cache's, and my own, history.

Hmm, I was going to show you an example of my 'not found' logs. But when I went back to the cache in question, it looks like the owner deleted the no-finds in favor of the find?!? I had four logs for this particular one - three no-finds, and my find.

I do try to log my no-finds, but I can recall a couple which I didn't.

----------

One banana, two banana, three banana, four.

Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.

I log everything. Finds, not finds, maintenance visits, etc...

Geocaching is more than just the 2 minutes it takes to sign the log book. By not sharing the other 95% of your experience (either postive or negative) you're being selfish. icon_smile.gif

I enjoy reading other peoples' logs, especially when there's more detail than just "found it, took a happy meal toy and left a golf ball."

Some of the best logs I've read are non-found logs, or logs that were ALMOST not-found logs. icon_smile.gif

I log everything. Finds, not finds, maintenance visits, etc...

Geocaching is more than just the 2 minutes it takes to sign the log book. By not sharing the other 95% of your experience (either postive or negative) you're being selfish. icon_smile.gif

I enjoy reading other peoples' logs, especially when there's more detail than just "found it, took a happy meal toy and left a golf ball."

Some of the best logs I've read are non-found logs, or logs that were ALMOST not-found logs. icon_smile.gif

As a general rule, if I suspect that the cache may be missing (e.g., GPSr, description and hint all seem to indicate that it should be exactly where I'm looking) I log a not found, in recognition of the facts that the cache owner may be advised to check on it and that others may end up wasting their time searching for a pilfered cache but for my NF.

If I'm prevented from making a good faith effort at the cache (e.g., too many muggles in the area for me to feel comfortable searching, lest I pique their interests), I'll leave a note, then make a later attempt.

If there's some obvious reason that it can't be found, such as a park being closed like this one I log it NF to catch the eye of others who may otherwise make a long trip, only to run into the same obstacle I did.

If I'm just flat defeated, I go ahead and admit it and log NF, like this one. Geocaching, I feel, is much like my other obsession, golf, which is the only sport in which you are on your honor to "call fouls" on yourself.

Of course, if I admit defeat, it makes me all that more determined to find the cache, in which case, I leave my NF and log the find when I get it. Like this one. icon_razz.gif

"Man's ability to weasel out of trouble is what separates us from the animals...except weasels, of course." - Homer Simpson

As a general rule, if I suspect that the cache may be missing (e.g., GPSr, description and hint all seem to indicate that it should be exactly where I'm looking) I log a not found, in recognition of the facts that the cache owner may be advised to check on it and that others may end up wasting their time searching for a pilfered cache but for my NF.

If I'm prevented from making a good faith effort at the cache (e.g., too many muggles in the area for me to feel comfortable searching, lest I pique their interests), I'll leave a note, then make a later attempt.

If there's some obvious reason that it can't be found, such as a park being closed like this one I log it NF to catch the eye of others who may otherwise make a long trip, only to run into the same obstacle I did.

If I'm just flat defeated, I go ahead and admit it and log NF, like this one. Geocaching, I feel, is much like my other obsession, golf, which is the only sport in which you are on your honor to "call fouls" on yourself.

Of course, if I admit defeat, it makes me all that more determined to find the cache, in which case, I leave my NF and log the find when I get it. Like this one. icon_razz.gif

"Man's ability to weasel out of trouble is what separates us from the animals...except weasels, of course." - Homer Simpson

I have only found 29 caches and I have never had a no find yet, it's not to difficult unless there is a puzzle to solve in order to get the coordinates, then sometimes it's a little more challenging. My gps has always got me to within 15 to 20 feet of the cache and since your not allowed to bury a cache then it has to be for the most part hidden in a hollow tree, under a fallen tree, or some other similar circumstance. So since my gps gets me that close there are only so many places to hide it in that area, so with a little effort it is usually pretty easy to find if you have the correct datum set!

quote:
Originally posted by mdmax371:

I have only found 29 caches and I have never had a no find yet.

Wow! I can't say that that's some sort of record... but my longest streak without a no-find is 20. Even on my recent PaterQuest (logs have not yet been posted as of this writing) I had two no-finds out of 39 searches.

I've searched for a few the turned out later to be missing, and there were a few that I simply didn't look in the right spot... but if you've gone on 29 consecutive successful hunts, consider yourself skilled and lucky.

Jamie

In fact... just for comparison, I checked out my caches.

In the time it took for me to log my first 29 finds, I had eight no-finds for seven different caches. (and I logged 10 notes for various reasons as well, if you're keeping score at home)

Of those seven caches I couldn't find, I've gone back to post finds on four of them. One cache was later archived (it was gone when I searched), and two are out of state, and I haven't had an opportunity to hunt for them again.

Twenty-nine consecutive finds is pretty amazing in my book, especially to start a caching career.

Jamie

Yes Jamie I have been very lucky in the fact that none of the caches I have looked for have been MIA. The 29 finds that I have, have all been found on the first try also. Except for the caches that have a difficult puzzle to solve or math problem to figure out then I don't see that when given proper coordinates that this game is all that hard to do.

I log all no finds. As soon as I plug in the waypoint for the cache, turn on the GPS and hit GoTo, I consider the hunt to have started. If after that point I don't come home having signed the logbook (or getting pertinent info for a virtual), then I log a not found. If I make a 2nd and 3rd trip with the same results, there is a 2nd and 3rd not found. I think I have one cache with 4 not founds listed and I still haven't found it.

Not founds are an important part of the cache history. Your failures may help another Geocacher avoid the mistakes you made. Whether it was getting too late a start, not packing a flashlight, dead batteries in your GPS, not being able to find parking, taking a wrong trail, or simply not finding the cache when you get to the area.

Some people consider Not Founds to be a negative and won't log them. One guy said he doesn't do it because he "doesn't like to see the frownie faces" on his cache log list.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller