Lessons Learned

There was a posting on another board, asking people to share their lessons learned from last weekend. So, while they are still fresh on everyone's mind.....Here is what I learned from the EIGA events:

- More may be better. We had three seperate events that were spread around our area. Each was very well attended, IMO, because people didnt have to drive as far. An added benefit is that we helped three parks instead of one and we got media coverage on three events instead of one.

- Find a park that will work with you. When we started planning an event it was to be along a rails-to-trails trail. The trail organization was thrilled that we wanted to clean it up, but they had no money to provide bags or to haul away the trash. We were unable to find a sponsor so we found another location instead (actually this is when we split to three locations). The new locations all provided bags and removal, one even provided some items for door prizes.

- "Officially" contact the media. Of our three events, each organized by a different member, two had media coverage. One organizer sent out a press release and had a local TV crew and reporters from two local newspapers. One member contacted "an uncle" at the newspaper. Though the uncle did show up and take photos, he had thought it was the following weekend and had to be called to remind him. I wonder if an "official" contact such as a press release would have made a difference.

- Just do it, If you build it they will come and expect the unexpected. Enough cliches? What I mean is, dont worry about finding out if there is "enough" interest, just post the event. People will show up. And dont try to judge how good the turn out will be from the number of "I plan to come" logs. Again, people will show up.

- Be careful not to overestimate how much area can be covered. When I looked at the area we had planned to cover, it seemed small. By the time we got to the end, we were all ready to be done.

Edited by WindChill