Dog Friendly Caches

CherokeeThree

As Leatherman said, this has been discussed before and a decent solution has been proposed. It would utilize cache attributes, which could be searchable criteria. You could have dog friendly, hydrocache, etc. as selectable attributes when submitting a cache. Maybe someday in the future this will be implimented. But, again as Letherman said, it would be up to the cache hider to supply this info (and they may not).

Edited by Stunod
What is a non-dog friendly cache? I can't think of any, unless it's indoors or underwater. Of course, we don't have a whole lot of variety around here. Just wondering, since I haven't found one that I wouldn't take the dog on. Come to think of it, she's been to most of 'em.

Many places have rules against dogs and for many caches it would just be inappropriate or completely inconvenient, such as urban micros/virtuals, or caches in very technical areas where a dog might not be able to walk easily...

What is a non-dog friendly cache? I can't think of any, unless it's indoors or underwater. Of course, we don't have a whole lot of variety around here. Just wondering, since I haven't found one that I wouldn't take the dog on.

I don't know where "around here" is for you. Since you didn't mention where you are. :D

In the Seattle area we have many wildlife reserves and sensitive areas. Dogs are not aloud in these areas because they are usually bird nesting areas. Ground nesting birds.

Like Jeremy said the separatist horse freaks don't like dogs. So there are some trail systems that are horse only.

I take my two pooches with me most times. They've actually learned what I'm saying when I say, "Let's go geocaching!" Now I have to speak in first-letters-only-speak so they don't get themselves whipped into a frenzy before I pack the leashes, water bowl, "cookies", towels, back seat bed, harnesses, pooch seat belts (for the days the top is down on the Jeep :D ), dog cover (for the days the top is down on the Jeep II :D ), caching trinkets, TB's, maps, GPSr, sunglasses, DEET-laden lifesaving spray (I'm at death central for West Nile--Weld County, Colorado)--ah heck y'all know the list.

Somewhere around the leashes and water bowl part of the sequence they've figured it out, so, I'm packing amid howls and hoots and hollars. They (Maxx, a 13 year old Schnoodle and Lego the 4 year old Pound Puppy) actually get pissed at me if I don't take them and they sniff it out.

Y'all take the kids, I'll take m'dogs and maybe we'll share a cache or two!

Here's to all of us--Anne Bonney, Evans (mosquito death central), CO

I hadn't thought of horse trails prohibiting dogs. Usually, here in CENTRAL IOWA (at least that's what it says in my profile), the hay-burners are the ones who are prohibited, not the dogs. We have places where you must leash your dog during certain dates because of the bird nesting thing, but they are not altogether prohibited.

I would think a dog would be an advantage in hunting an urban micro, since it provides a built-in distraction for muggles. I guess it depends upon how well-behaved the dog is in crowds. :D