Help With Downloading Waypoints

PandyBat

This is driving me crazy. I've read thread after thread on this and I still don't get it.

First off, I'm a premium member so I can get GPX files.

I downloaded GSAK and EasyGPS to see which one I like better. So far, just by how much information you can obtain about the caches from the downloads, seems like GSAK is the way to go. Ok...so I downloadrd some waypoints from my search page. Is there a way to get them to download directly into GSAK instead of making them a seperate file on my computer? (Currently putting them into a file in My Documents)

Also, they download from GC.com and import into GSAK as .loc files. Hardly any information is available about each cache and every cache has the same blue question mark as the icon. I assume that a GPX file is the one with all the extra information, right? How do I fix it so it will download from GC.com and into GSAK as a GPX file?

Once I get all the information set up in the GSAK program on the caches that I want, I am going to be uploading to a Garmin eTrex (I think I have all the right cables). I don't even want to attempt downloading into my GPSr until I can get GSAK set up to download the right files with all the right information. And even though I can't download all the information about a cache, i.e. logs and placed by, type of cache, etc, into my GPSr, I'd still like to have it in GSAK as a reference when looking at caches.

Am I doing all this wrong? I've read so many different threads on all this that I have completely confused myself. I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be the first question I have while doing all this...lol

I do not know if I completely understand your question, but assuming I do:

Go to your “my cache page”

To the left of your stats button; click on “run pocket queries”

In there you can select all kinds of “parameters” for your query. Remember towards the bottom of the page to change the file type from .loc to GPX.

After you click submit, the system will run your search and e-mail the results to you. It will also give you the option to view the search results right away, while the e-mail is being generated. I suggest, for your first few, that you run your query on each “cache type” e.g.: one for ‘traditional” one for “Virtual” and so on.

If this does not make sense, e-mail me with a phone number where I can reach you. I have unlimited long distance, as long as you are in the U.S.

In there you can select all kinds of “parameters” for your query. Remember towards the bottom of the page to change the file type from .loc to GPX.

Thanks Cherokeecacher! This was actually a big part of my problem. I'm going to give it a try. I also tried running a pocket query last night and it didn't come back with any results so I'm going to try your suggestion of limiting my cache types.

Oh great! Here I am again...lol

First, I opened the pocket query I was sent with WinZip and it opened the GPX files in EasyGPS instead of GSAK. Is there a way I can get the file to open up in GSAK instead of EasyGPS?

Also, the co-ords that are showing in EasyGPS aren't the same co-ords that show on the cache page on GC.com. What did I do wrong now?

First, I opened the pocket query I was sent with WinZip and it opened the GPX files in EasyGPS instead of GSAK. Is there a way I can get the file to open up in GSAK instead of EasyGPS?

Ok...I got this part figured out. I opened the file and exported it to my desktop. Then I opened it with GSAK. Is there an easier way to get it to open up automatically into GSAK or am I doing it right? I don't mind doing it this way but if there's an easier way, I'd like to know.

LOL....yeah, it kinda helps to talk it out, even if I do look like I am talking to myself most of the time. :D

Going to hook up the GPSr and see if a download goes through to it.....after dinner.

Welp, that sucks. Problems again.....I'm in the GSAK thread. I knew this wouldn't go smoothly..lol