Arizona, New Mexico, California Cachers

Jamie Z

Hey All,

I'm writing from Memphis, Tennessee. If you've read this thread, you may already be aware of my upcoming trip across your region.

On or within a day or two of May 2, I will be leaving my house on my way to Los Angeles, with only me and my bike (and some light gear).

I've mapped out my route and the nearby geocaches, but I don't know where the cachers live! I'd like the chance to meet some of you on the way. I'd like the opportunity to hunt for some caches together.

Also, I'm looking for a few people who would be willing to be my host, as it would be nice to sleep under a roof and have a shower now and then.

Below is posted my tentative route. If you live reasonably close to this route (riding distance, i.e. a few miles), would like to meet up for a cache or two, and/or have a couch or floor space you could offer, please email me, or post a reply. It will be much appreciated.

New Mexico: ~May 14-May 19

routeNM.jpg

Arizona: ~May 19-May 24

routeAZ.jpg

California: May 24-?

routeCA.jpg

Dates are approximate, as I'm not on a schedule, other than I have to be to LA before June 3 or 4.

See ya in a month.

Jamie

I'll watch for your blogs (or whatever they're called). What is your ETA for Phoenix and LA?

I send out periodic emails to my friends and family, and if you'd like to be included on that mailing list, just email me your address.

Pheonix: May 22 or so.

LA: June 1, perhaps.

The dates are fairly flexible, and also hard to predict from my desk chair. Once I'm on the road though, I find that I get a feel for my daily mileage and where I can or will be in the coming days.

Jamie

but you're taking a rather odd route cross-country.

I'm confused by this statement. Define "odd." You mean it doesn't go through Albuquerque?

Jamie

I believe he means "odd" because you are taking highways instead of interstates.

You chose US-60 instead of I-40 or I-10. Most people don't like traveling the 'back roads'.

I actually prefer it.

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I do believe that you must apply for and be approved for a permit to bike on an Interstate (in each state you go thru) and you do not for state highways.

Yes, I am aware that some states do not have that policy and even in some that do, there are bike routes that are part of an Interstate. My thinking would be, and Jamie Z, please correct me if I am wrong, but, I'd rather ride on a state highway with less traffic doing 70-75 than an interstate where everyone and their grandma is doing 90+! One big truck blowing by at that speed and you might become intimate with the pavement or the dirt on the side of the road!

Not to mention the fact that most Interstates bypass some of the most beautiful scenery in the US! This comes from trucking for 10 years and logging dang near a million US miles in that time! Give me scenery over speed any day.

CdirtO

Jamie, good luck on your ride and sorry I can't help, but I moved out of Phoenix for the Denver area 3 years ago.

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I do believe that you must apply for and be approved for a permit to bike on an Interstate (in each state you go thru) and you do not for state highways.

Yes, I am aware that some states do not have that policy and even in some that do, there are bike routes that are part of an Interstate. My thinking would be, and Jamie Z, please correct me if I am wrong, but, I'd rather ride on a state highway with less traffic doing 70-75 than an interstate where everyone and their grandma is doing 90+! One big truck blowing by at that speed and you might become intimate with the pavement or the dirt on the side of the road!

Not to mention the fact that most Interstates bypass some of the most beautiful scenery in the US! This comes from trucking for 10 years and logging dang near a million US miles in that time! Give me scenery over speed any day.

I've never heard of an interstate permit--however that is not to say you are incorrect. I'd look it up, but it's not all that important to me.

My understanding (although I haven't researched the subject much) is that bikes are allowed on the interstates under the following circumstances:

There is no sign indicating "No nonmotorized vehicles." (Some entrance ramps have it, others don't. Look.)

There is no alternate route.

From what I understand, in many parts of the western states, the interstate system is the only road for miles. People can take their tractors and all sorts of other vehicles on the interstate, including bikes. Again, that could be false, but I remember reading something like that a while back.

That said, as you point out, the interstates are almost by definition, rather boring places to be. I've purposely planned my route to avoid them. My route does include a few short sections of interstate, but perhaps I can avoid them when I get there on some small road that isn't shown on my maps.

I have a good friend who pedaled from somewhere in New Mexico to Memphis, almost entirely on I-40. It's not my kind of ride, but that's what he did. He said that dozen's of police and highway patrol cars passed him daily, but none said a word until he got into Arkansas, where he was stopped three times and told to take the nearby US highway.

Curiously, I have an unavoidable interstate ride just a few miles after I leave my house. I'll be crossing the Mississippi River on I-55 into Arkansas. I'm not sure if it's legal, but I've done the crossing before. It's only a few miles until I can hop onto a side road.

Thanks for the words of support.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
but you're taking a rather odd route cross-country.

I'm confused by this statement. Define "odd." You mean it doesn't go through Albuquerque?

Jamie

Yes and No. Most cross-country travellers stay on the Interstates because they are trying to "get somewhere" and they want to get there tomorrow, not next week. The trip for them is the destination, not the journey.

Someday, I'll be driving an RV across the country. I won't travel on the Interstates unless I have to. The trip for me will be the journey, not the destination.

I commend you for wanting to see the countryside instead of just taking the shortest route.

Anza Borrego Desert State Park had a lot of nice caches in it, planted by the good San Diego cachers. You can also get to LA from there on the back roads from Anza Borrego, I know because I had to take them during the fires in October. We had gone to an geocaching event at Anza Borrego and got detoured on the way home, because of the fires in San Diego County.

Anza Borrego Desert State Park is a very interesting area also. Just thought you would like to know.

OOOOoohhhh,,, On a BIKE....

It's all so clear to me now...

You're going through Globe to Phoenix on a bike? You're brave! I wouldn't do that if you paid me! There's a lot of narrow road with no shoulder. If it's in the daytime, most will be fine, but if it's at dusk, and the sun is in people's eyes, you'd probably get flattened. I guess the road from Show Low to Heber to Payson isn't a whole lot better... the road between Payson and Phoenix is like an interstate though... You'll do a lot of huffing and puffing as you cross the great divide and go in to Springerville (elevation 7000+), and if you choose to go the Payson route, it would be 7000 again.

That and you have the Salt River Canyon between Show Low and Globe. Most cars have a hard time making it out of there! (look over the edges as you go through and you'll see several that didn't) You go from about 4800' on the east side, down to about 3400', then right back up to 4700' all in about 11 miles. Personally, I'd have a heart attack, but you're probably in a LOT better shape than I am...

Man, I remember driving through the Salt River Canyon on my way from Albuquerque to Phoenix (made that trip a few times back when I lived in ABQ). I'd be walking a bike through most of that!! You aren't joking about cars having trouble with it. That's a rough up and downhill route, with barely enough space for all the SUVs and/or people pulling various types of trailers out there driving it! JamieZ must be a real stud to try that route...

JamieZ must be a real stud to try that route...

Heh, whoa, whoa... Don't make it out to be more than it is.

Ya'll are scaring me.

You're going through Globe to Phoenix on a bike? There's a lot of narrow road with no shoulder. I guess the road from Show Low to Heber to Payson isn't a whole lot better... the road between Payson and Phoenix is like an interstate though... You'll do a lot of huffing and puffing as you cross the great divide and go in to Springerville (elevation 7000+), and if you choose to go the Payson route, it would be 7000 again.
I'm looking at the section of road which you are talking about. I see several ways to get from Show Low into Pheonix. Going through Payson looks to put me on several sections of limited access highway.

Between Globe and Phoenix, I see two possible routes: 60 and 88. Any comments on either section?

Thanks for the heads up about the elevation changes. It's the type of terrain I'm not used to. I hope I can handle it, but it can't be avoided I guess.

Jamie

I don't remember 60 being all that bad between Globe and Phoenix, you'll be on the downhill at that point. It turns into a pretty busy/big freeway as you get to the metro area, though. I've never done the other route, although I just may not have been driving and don't remember.

If you do decide to journey through Salt River Canyon, which is quite beautiful as well as deep/curvy, make sure you take plenty of water. After the flatness of W Texas and E NM, it may be just what the doc ordered for your trip...

My grandparents live in the White Mountians of Arizona, and I live in Mesa. I used to drive up to there once a month. I always went through Salt River Canyon... and I probably always will, unless there is heavy road construction. The trick for driving the canyon is to drop to second gear so you don't use your breaks too much. Don't forget to change your gear back or else your gonna use alot of gas on the way out.

During the busy season I like to drive through at 2-3AM, but I'm weird that way. I've been through so many times, its no fun during the day unless you plan on stopping. There are several places to stop. If you stop on the south side, look for petroglyphs... they are there less than 100 feet from the road. I'm not gonna say exactly which stop. I was taking a friend from China up once, and I was trying to explain what petroglyphs were. We made a stop so he could get some pictures, and on the way back to my truck he pointed to a rock and asked what the marks were.

The road between Globe and Superior isn't too bad. Try the road from Globe to Roosevelt dam to Mesa... That's a whole 'nuther story. Other fun roads in Arizona... Springerville to Morenci and the road up Mount Graham and the road to the top of Apache lake. These are where I think the Warner Brother's got the ideas for the Wyle Coyote cartoons.

Watch closer between globe and Phoenix. There are a couple of stretches of road that they put a passing lane in, where it wasn't really wide enough to put one in. There's been times I've gone through and was concerned about the guardrail on the right and the vehicle passing on the left. I felt like it was a tight squeeze and I can't imagine what it would have been like if there was a biker pedaling up through there. It would have definately let me test out my brakes.

Like I said, if you aren't riding that part in the evening, where the west-bound people have the sun in their eyes, you'll be fine.

The canyon isn't too bad for width in most of the places. It's the up & down... & up that I'd be worried about.

I don't know 88. I never take it. I think the last time I drove on it was in 88 or 89.

I'd say that most of the highways in Arizona have less than 8" of shoulder. You're going to have to deal with that on any road you take.

JZ,

I can vouch for the difficulty on hwy 60 between globe and phoenix.

I was just thru there in early March. Its doable, and Im sure youll be up for it after all the miles youll have behind you at that point, however just be expecting the the elevation changes, and the curves. Which might make for a scary experience on a bike moving slow on a road with not much if any shoulders, as faster moving traffic comes up behind you on a curve where you cant be seen from a good distance. That plus it will be mighty warm and DRY by the time you get out that way...

You might not cover as much ground a day out that way...

But there is lots of georgeous scenery...

Bring PLENTY of water and be careful...

You can do it..

Buck8Point

Thanks for the tips about the roads and terrain in the southwest. I'll be printing out those replies for closer study when I get to that area.

My departure date is only a few days away. I'll be attending an event in Texas, will get to meet some cachers near Phoenix, and may have a cacher BBQ in LA.

I'd like to meet and cache with other cachers more often. So again, I ask that anyone who lives near my route and is interested in getting together for a beer or a cache or both, let me know soon. I'll be on the road May 2.

See my first post in this topic for more info and maps of my intended route.

Jamie

Man, all this cool stuff I miss by being unable to read the forums at work due to new system training and the learning curve that goes with applying what you've learned in the type of environment I work in.

There are a couple issues you'll have with part of your Arizona route. First, if you do the SRC (Salt River Canyon) and take US60 down, it will be an awesome ride. There are some points where it may be highly dangerous, and I'll check with my officers that work the area and get some input from them (I work for the Highway Patrol in Arizona, and the rural officers will be the best to tap for that info). I most certainly wouldn't travel those roads at night, because it's simply too dangerous. Even with 800 strobes on your bike, all it takes is a slightly inattentive drunk, and you're roadkill. Once you hit say, Goldfield Road on US60 (mp198), then you'll want to exit NB and take Old West Highway to Broadway and westbound from there.

If you follow that route, you'll ride right past my house which is about 7 miles west (and you can log a find too if you look for Stasis). I'll be more than happy to give you a place for a shower, but would need to consult other-half before giving you the couch to crash on (or my office futon). You'll need to stay off 60 for your entire route until you get to Central Phoenix from the time you exit at Goldfield. US60 continues at 7av/Van Buren in Phoenix, but you can get on it from many places. You'll ride within 2 blocks of where I work as well when you get this far. :lol: Once you're on Grand Ave (road name until you get out of town), you can take it non-stop all the way up to Wickenburg. There are many, many caches up there that could keep you busy for days, many of which you'll pass in-town on your way through, and all along the route.

If you want any more recommendations, let me know. Also, feel free to drop me an e-mail.

[edit]

You picked an excellent approximation, as I took that week off! Saturday the 22nd, I was planning on heading out to place a cache I've been working out for 5 months. But I don't have to be back at work until the 26th, so if you're a day early/late, I'll be available to hang out. But I can push my cache hiding day back if needed.

Edited by Brian - Team A.I.

I notice your route on the last page goes from Palm Desert to Hemet. Just so you're aware, that route climbs from near sea level (in Palm Desert) to over 5000ft and then back down to about 2000ft (in Hemet). Perhaps you already knew that, but if not...

Staying near I-10 from Palm Desert through the Pass (Banning/Beaumont) is the most logical way. You'll still have to climb to about 2500ft, but it's much easier than the climb into the mountains you have highlighted.

I also see that you are going past two of my favorite places: Lost Lake Campground (31 miles north of Blythe on the Colorado River) and Glamis (+/- 30 miles east of Brawley on Hwy 79). You're tougher than me; I wouldn't want to bike through that desert area in May! More power to ya!

Edited by 4x4van

I see your route will take you from the I-215 and Cajalco Expressway to past Lake Matthews. My house is a couple of miles north of the Cajalco Expressway. We would be happy if you let us know when you'll be in the area. I have an RV parked at our house, you would be welcome to sleep and shower if you like.

By the way, the I-215 does have posted signs for non-motorized vehicles prohibited. However there is a frontage road parallelling the Freeway you could use.

Jamie, I was just catching up on your travels. CONGRATS! You went through my old stomping grounds; I grew up about 20 miles from Westmoreland. We used to camp at Salton Sea all the time. That's before the pollution was bad and you could safely swim and fish there. I miss the sea...I don't miss the heat. I don't remember ever hitting 130; I think 124 was the highest while I was growing up. My dad was one of the founders of the DeAnza Search and Rescue team in the valley. That heat is nothing to mess with. Glad you made it through safely. And, GOOD LUCK on the next leg of your adventure!