What Are Unlock Codes For On A Garmin?

ahren

It is a way of protecting the software from piracy. If the software didn't need unlocked, a group of 20 cachers could get together and chip in a couple of bucks each for the maps. Then the $100 software is only $5 for them and Garmin is out $1900. Pain in the butt for us, smart business for Garmin.

hmm, i don't seem to need any unlock codes for my Topo US maps.... unless maybe i'm missing some info in them.

also, whats to stop that group of 20 people from just sharing the code? i"m sure that the algorythm (sp?) is built into the software to check if the code is valid... so one code should be able to unlock the same stuff on 20 different machines.. no?

hmm, i don't seem to need any unlock codes for my Topo US maps.... unless maybe i'm missing some info in them.

also, whats to stop that group of 20 people from just sharing the code? i"m sure that the algorythm (sp?) is built into the software to check if the code is valid... so one code should be able to unlock the same stuff on 20 different machines.. no?

You don't need unlock codes to install it on your computer and use it that way, but if you want to upload the maps to your mapping GPSr it will require a code.

The code is keyed to the Serial Number of your GPSr so no matter how many installs you have on different PC's, you can still only install it on two GPSr units.

That's wrong.

If you install a map product, which does require an unlock code, on your PC, but don't provide the code, then you'll not be able to see any map detail on your PC screen.

Since the code is tied to the serial number of a particular GPS, and the PC software (Mapsource) can't know which GPS you intend to download maps to, any valid code will unlock any such map installation on any PC. So 20 guys, or 2000 guys, for that matter, can share one single code on their 2000 PC's. The same map will work on each and every PC, with the same code. It's illegal, of course, but it works.

However, only the guy who is in posession of the particular GPS, which this code is intended for, can download the maps to his receiver. Well, that's not 100% true either. They can all download it, but only he can use it. The other receivers will refuse to open the maps.

If you have more than one GPS, then each map product you buy, that has codes, allows the generation of two codes.

Myself, I have a Garmin iQue and an eTrex Vista. The iQue is delivered with City Select maps, complete with the correct code. I've also been able to use these CS maps in my Vista, since I can get one more code for free from Garmin. This is completely within the scope of the license agreement.

But if I would like to use that same map in yet another receiver, I would have to buy a new set of codes.

Even transferring an SD card from one iQue to another wouldn't work. The other iQue will also check the code, prior to opening the maps. But maps can be generated with more than one code stored in the mapset, so you can still have SD cards for the iQue shared between different iQues. The only catch is that every valid code must be entered into the PC which was used to generate the map set for the card in question.

Topo doesn't use an unlock. For those Garmin cartography products that do, the serial number of the unit is associated with the unlock code. My understanding, and I don't know if it's for all products with an unlock, is you can legally use the one license with 2 units.

No - the unlock code checks the internal serial of the GPS; again without an illegal crack it will only work on 2 GPS's.

So if I install it on 3 computers, I can have 6 GPSr's? How would the software know if I've installed it on another computer?

Anders provides the longer and more detailed explanation.

However to answer yours, Garmin tracks the codes as well. They won't issue you more than two codes. The key isn't 3 computers, it's going to be 3 garmin accounts and you will still have to pony up the funds.

To answer other questions.

Only specific software requires the codes. Topo doesn't. City Select does.

No - the unlock code checks the internal serial of the GPS; again without an illegal crack it will only work on 2 GPS's.

So if I install it on 3 computers, I can have 6 GPSr's? How would the software know if I've installed it on another computer?

Anders provides the longer and more detailed explanation.

However to answer yours, Garmin tracks the codes as well. They won't issue you more than two codes. The key isn't 3 computers, it's going to be 3 garmin accounts and you will still have to pony up the funds.

To answer other questions.

Only specific software requires the codes. Topo doesn't. City Select does.

What I'm saying is, one person with the CD can install it on several PCs. Without an Internet connection, the software would have no way of knowing if it is the original or a copy. I suppose if you want to update it, it would matter, but the update could probably be burned onto a CD and passed around as well.

* I'm not advocating distrubuting software in this fashion, only pointing out that it can be done.

What I'm saying is, one person with the CD can install it on several PCs. Without an Internet connection, the software would have no way of knowing if it is the original or a copy. I suppose if you want to update it, it would matter, but the update could probably be burned onto a CD and passed around as well.

* I'm not advocating distrubuting software in this fashion, only pointing out that it can be done.

The software doesn't generate the unlock code. You have to either provide the serial number of the software and your GPS online, or through an 800 number to get the unlock code. Your "work around" doesn't work

When he bought the Topo, there may have been Literature in the package about Unlocks, or he saw that in the Mapsource Manual that comes with each Mapsource product. So the Topo Manual would be the same generic Mapsorce Manual. Id imagine that each map product would have additional literature for the particular product.

The software doesn't generate the unlock code. You have to either provide the serial number of the software and your GPS online, or through an 800 number to get the unlock code. Your "work around" doesn't work

It's possible to use one unock code on each PC but the maps will only work on one GPS and that's the one who's serial number it's keyed too.

Good ol' Magellan, without their unlock codes... B)

Not enough people use their map products for piracy to be an issue.

Aye matey... If Black Beard was around today, he wouldn't loot an inner tube floating away from Cuba :mad:

He'd cruise the Puget Sound looking for Bill Gates's yacht B)

Good ol' Magellan, without their unlock codes... :unsure:

Not enough people use their map products for piracy to be an issue.

Aye matey... If Black Beard was around today, he wouldn't loot an inner tube floating away from Cuba :rolleyes:

He'd cruise the Puget Sound looking for Bill Gates's yacht <_<

:tongue:

Now, THAT is darn funny!

This is a very good thread, and many of these questions were the same ones posed in a GPS course that we (me and a few unnamed Geocachers) taught tonite in town.

Some peope got upset that they could not get "cracked" meaning free software for their units, until they realized that it is no different than me breaking into your house to take something of yours that I FIGURE I SHOULD HAVE FOR FREE. It would sure make me upset.

The maps (meaning bluecharts here) are well worth the money, and a complete bargain compared to paying $24 per chart here from the Queens printer. With one unlock code it works out to about $1.02 per chart, a much better deal. Some people would still complain if you gave it to them for free.

Beats the heck out of a repair bill for whacking your boat into a reef when the marker buoy drifts off. This happened in a "round the buoys race" one time, we knew where the reef was because it was marked on the chart, and we had a proximity alarm set, the other guys did not, they headed for the buoy which had drifted off in the last storm. CLANG! That was sure expensive. We did not win, but had a good laugh, and went to aid the others.

CP

I have several questions to this thread:

1) Does it all mean, that e.g. Metroguide or Topo (or any other unlockcode free map) I can (technicaly) use on three of my GPS units? How is it then with licence agreement? Does it allow to use the maps on more then two my personal GPS units? (I have only CitySelect, where there is limitied to two units.)

2) I have read on some other discussions, that there always is one universal unlock code for the series of Garmin units (V, 60C, Vista,...). Does anyone know something about this? I think Garmin would be totally stupid, if they would have something like universal unlock code.

I do not need this, I have all maps bought, but I want to know, where the true is.

:rolleyes:

Its out there Sully. lol

As for the Metroguide, it appears that you can load it on more than two units, as far as if it is ethical, that part is up to you.

As for the univeral code, well that I cannot tell you. Is there one GM or Ford Key that fits ALL of their brand of cars? What if I have one, will I come and take your car? Is there a need for such a thing? These things I cannot tell you.

CP

You know, I think, there is not an universal key for Ford cars. Ford would be stupid if he would done something like that.

So I think is not Garmin.

The being of code itself could not make me use it. So as I know, how to open locked car's door without a key, does not mean, I use somebody's else car.

But - so as (if it would be possible, but I'm almost sure it is not) I would like to know, if there is an universal key for Ford Taunus (and never would use it), so I'm curious, if there is such a "key" for Garmin's maps.

As I have today all maps I wanted to have already bought, this info or the code itself is of zero value for me.

Edited by PitB