Walgreens Ultra-alkaline

azman

I bought some of those new Panasonic Ni-MH high performance rechargable batteries and, really think they are the very best way to go regarding keeping GPSr's etc fully charged.

These new tech batteries can be recharged 100's of times, have power/endurance comparable to normal Alkaline batteries, and (best of all) have absolutely none of that dreaded "memory effect" that older Ni-cad batteries had (where they'd lose power retention capability over time). And they recharge QUICK! So just before heading out I toss a charged pair of AA's into my GPSr & pop the 2 others into the charger irregardless of their current power level. Nice feeling to leave the house every time with a FULL charge :D

Yes the wall charger & 4-pack of batteries were NOT cheap (around $70CDN) but they will keep me happy for years. And more environmentally friendly than leaving a trail of dead AAA alkalines.

I bought some of those new Panasonic Ni-MH high performance rechargable batteries and, really think they are the very best way to go regarding keeping GPSr's etc fully charged...]

I did the exact same thing. I believe I paid $30 for 6 AA & 2 AAA batteries, along with the quick-charge charger at Costco, here in sunny San Diego. I then went over to Walmart to purchase extra Ni-MH AAA batteries for our FRS radios. They only had Sanyo AAA's, but the Panasonic charger charges them all, and really quick.

I got a 60-pak of DuraKing for about $5.  My eTrex burns out a pair in about 20 minutes.

Yikes!

I just checked my iFinder, it says 19.2 hours since the last battery change, and they're still above 50%.. these are a pair of Energizer 1800mAh NiMH. A four-pack of these costs about $10 CDN (or you can get two with a charger for the same price - which would be about $6.50 US.)

It'd kill me to change batteries every 20 minutes.

For some reason, my GPS does not do well with rechargeable batteries - it will shut itself off every few minutes. I use batteries from Homier distributing that I can get in a 12-pack for 72 cents. One set of four will generally last through a good day of caching. However, the same batteries won't last five pics on my digital camera.

Edited by pater47
For some reason, my GPS does not do well with rechargeable batteries - it will shut itself off every few minutes. I use batteries from Homier distributing that I can get in a 12-pack for 72 cents. One set of four will generally last through a good day of caching. However, the same batteries won't last five pics on my digital camera.

When I first started using rechargables in my eTrex, it would "drain" them much quicker than plain old alkalines (a couple of hours versus a full day). I found that if I changed the battery type setting on the eTrex, they lasted longer. My conclusion is that the batteries were not actually dead, but that the GPSr was shutting itself off because it thought they were nearly dead.

WIth that figured out, I found that the rechargables dont last significantly longer than the alkalines in the GPSr. The digital camera is another story all together, the rechargables last an order of magnitude longer.

You didn't say what unit you have, but here's a couple of ideas on this. There might be a setting in menus to tell the unit what battery type is installed so that it knows how to meter it. The other idea is that if it's 4 batteries in there, then they might have problems with the connection between them becoming broken. All batteries are not built to precisely the same dimensions and this has been a problem in the past with various electrical devices. There is a spacer unit that you can get to put between stacked pairs of batteries to pervent the lost power connection.

I had been using four lithiums which I get on base for $6.54 a pack. I like them as they are lighter and they last a month or more. I just recently started using the Rayovac 15 minute rechargeables. They last longer than any other rechargeables I've tired and you can't beat the 15 minute recharge time.

Sorry, I don't have anything to compare it to since I'm a newb around here.

However, I just received my Geko201 and a bunch IC3's in the mail yesterday. I set the Geko to NiMh and I've already had it running for about 2 hours. The battery meter is still full.

This is going to be so much fun.

The Rayovac IC3 NiMh batteries are really good. I got some for my digital camera, battery-powered toothbrush and GPS. (3 things that really go through batteries.) I paid 24 bucks for the charger with AC adapter, 12VDC adapter and 4 AA batteries. the batteries charge in 15 minutes flat and it charges other batteries, NiCd and other brand NiMh overnight. I love it.

I put Lithiums in my 2-battery GPSmap60C, and they keep going and going and going. Lithiums seem to be better for high powered or very low powered devices, but I found that if I put Lithiums in a GPS IIIplus I got not much more time per battery than Alkalines. I buy the lithiums that lasts 2 years in a Digital romote Thermometer from Radio Shack, and I threw in a pair in the 60C. Im glad I bought the 60C,since I already have the Map76S(black n White). The 60C is very good on batteries.

Best I've ever found was 20 Maxell AA's for $4, at Tower Records. I bought 2 boxes, and wish I had bought a few more. I use rechargables in my GPS, but I use these for other things, including putting them in caches.

I got those, too, and my eTrex yellow goes through them in less than an hour. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm. I've never had a problem with rechargables in my GPS. They seem to last a long time as well, but I always take backup alkalines along with me just in case. As soon as the back ups go in, then I take the others and recharge, and then switch them back out.

Hmmmm.  I've never had a problem with rechargables in my GPS.  They seem to last a long time as well, but I always take backup alkalines along with me just in case.  As soon as the back ups go in, then I take the others and recharge, and then switch them back out.

You wrote what I would have written, if I had written it. :rolleyes:

I always hate having to switch over to the alkalines, but they are only in the GPSr until I can get back home and charge up the NiMh's. I've had the rechargeables for awhile and they are now getting a little fritzy about holding a good charge. But I'll be staying with rechargeables without a doubt.

:rolleyes: Does anyone have any suggestions for a Garmin Geko? I am doing pretty good with Alkaline batteries, but I want to get somerechargables to lower my consumption. Any recommendations on rechargables?

I've been using Ray-o-Vac rechargables with much success in my GPSr.

Edited by Webfoot
:D Does anyone have any suggestions for a Garmin Geko? I am doing pretty good with Alkaline batteries, but I want to get somerechargables to lower my consumption. Any recommendations on rechargables?

I have the Geko 201. I have had great success with alkalines and battery life so I just keep my eye out for deals and stock up.

However, I just received my Geko201 and a bunch IC3's in the mail yesterday.  I set the Geko to NiMh and I've already had it running for about 2 hours.  The battery meter is still full.

I'm up to approx 5-6 hours now and my 201 still has 3/4 battery meter left.

The new Rayovac IC3's are awesome. I ordered a charger and a whole bunch of batteries from www.sundancesolar.com. The charger from them includes an outlet and a car adapter, "nice." I haven't seen the car adapter included anywhere else.