All Posts On One Page

Wild_Bill

I didn't really want to start a new topic. I imagine the folks at Geocaching.com are already aware of this, and if so, please disregard this post. If not, I thought you'd want to know. When accessing locationless caches and attempting to view all posts on one page, several return a green page with nothing else. An example would be GCaa48. I was attempting to avoid submitting a duplicate of a previously entered location.

Jeremy (maybe it was Elias) explained this once upon a time. Here's my recollection of it.

Basically, the process that builds cache pages (in the "GC" sense) and adds them to the cache (in the computer sense) sometimes incurs the same stupid database timeouts and .net errors that are making the site so generally frustrating to use these days. This is more likely to be triggered on caches with many logs just becuase the joined select/query takes longer to complete. Unfortunately for us, this process doesn't test the success of the query before replacing the old cached query with the new (and potentially incomplete) one so these cached pages will remain "broken" until the cache page is next regenerated by someone posting a note, the page being edited, or such.

So you can sometimes "fix" a page that's stuck in this state by posting a note to it and then deleting it or editing a log or such to trigger a requery and regeneration. Since the cache in question was logged three times today, this is a more likely explanation for Wild_Bill's observation than any computer hypochondriasis on his part...

I may have spoken too soon. I experienced the problem while accessing thru a work server. When accessing directly from my home PC, I didn't have any problem. Must be some restriction placed on our work server. I gotta eat crow on this one. I didn't even think about it until yesterday. I apoligize if I've caused any undue concern.