Campaign For Real Names

Having just attended my first Cachers meet it occured to me that perhaps it was time to campaign for real names. I for one hurriedly chose a nickname, barely giving it a thought and now would prefer to be known by my christian name ie Liz not Sleepless42. What happens to my logs if I change it? Indeed how do I change it or do I have to become a new member. Also what about caches hidden in my 'Sleepless 42' name? Perhaps someone could answer me before I loose another 'sleepless' night... :D

It's an interesting one...I wonder whether everyone would be happy to tell the world their real name. Telling people at a meet is rather different from "exposing" yourself to the WWW...

Personally, I have no problems with using my real name, but maybe others would disagree...

Hi Liz

One point occurs to me - you might like to check the list of cachers' names to see if "Liz" is already taken! I wanted to be "Lioness" and that was already in use so I changed it to "Leoness" instead.

(PS: Sorry we didn't make the meet yesterday but we had car trouble. I'm going to try to get to the Transatlantic Bug Swap meet (GCJ70V) on 16th May, if you're interested)

It's an interesting one...I wonder whether everyone would be happy to tell the world their real name. Telling people at a meet is rather different from "exposing" yourself to the WWW...

Personally, I have no problems with using my real name, but maybe others would disagree...

I really have no way to hide :-)

I own a number of domains and a quick check of their details will tell you quite a bit about me.

The only way to have got around that would have been to have registered a PO Box address and a locationless number.

So I use my real name most places.

- Neil.

If you change your name it will change on your profile immediately. But I believe it takes time to filter through on to your past logs. The logs are only updated each time they are change i.e somebody enters a new log for that cache.

Brian

Exactly. Your profile will show all your finds and all your logs can be accessed. The cache page itself won't show the new name until something changes on it and it's updated.

Any caches you have placed will need to be manually changed as you enter a specific name for each cache. For example, I have almost 50 caches all registered with OzGuff but that show on the cache page as Team Oz (OzGuff) or Team Oz (OzGuff and OzMeg) or Team Oz (OzGuff, OzMeg and Tahu) depending on if the kids helped me place the cache or not.

Hope this helps...

It wouldn't matter if I used my real name or my caching name as most other cachers I've met remember my hat a lot better than they remember me :D .

In fact, at a CITO event on Saturday another well known cacher (who looks nothing like me :D ) but who just happened to be wearing a similar hat was asked "How yer doin', Pharisee?"

Bit of a bummer, really :(

Edited by Pharisee
It's a bit harder for us, we are a team of 24...

Blimey! How does that work? Do you take 2 minibuses with you? How do you all hide at the cache site?

I have such a funny image in my head now...lol :(

I have to admit we rarely do geocaches as a team of 24, unless we are capming or youth hostelling together.

The minibuses maybe worth a consideration, though...

i have several internet nicknames and no longer go by the one i was most famous for (in IRC land). I've changed my nick here from my surname to another name and now this one after my sig item. I'll introduce myself as DomHeKnows or Andy - most people have a light come on in their eyes when I say DomheKnows (if they've seen a cache i've visited) but wouldn't know who Andy was. likewise, Seasider is likely to always be Seasider.

i have several internet nicknames and no longer go by the one i was most famous for (in IRC land). I've changed my nick here from my surname to another name and now this one after my sig item. I'll introduce myself as DomHeKnows or Andy - most people have a light come on in their eyes when I say DomheKnows (if they've seen a cache i've visited) but wouldn't know who Andy was. likewise, Seasider is likely to always be Seasider.

I only realised at the meet when somebody said your name aloud that DomHeKnows is pronouced Dominos!

As for me, I'm one of the few who uses their own name, albeit in an abbrievated form! :(

MarcB

Having just attended my first Cachers meet it occured to me that perhaps it was time to campaign for real names. 

Hold on.. this is a storm in a teacup. As far as I know, no one in geocaching has a name that doesn't easily identify themselves.

And if anyone says any different, then I'll send round GeoffreyBubblesBonBon to smack their wrists. :D:DB):D:DB):(B):)B):DB)

Edited by SlytherinAlex

I suppose at event we should introduce ourselves as "Neil and Natalie Ford, aka Smudgypixels". Did that a couple of times at the weekend and the lightbulb always went on. Doesn't help that I post here under one name and log caches under another (for which there is at least to us, a logical reason).

- Neil.

Iwanted to be known as a victorian post box with co-ords and everything...but them MI5 called and said if I did that I'd be taken into a prtective area and left with 700 other VR boxes for company soooo I'm staying who I was...cos if I change now then MI6 might think I'm up to something.

If ID cards are introduced I'm requesting my real name and my nickname...cos thats what people know me by.

Well some of them...Spior Spiradosaur, dozzy, Sirod, Spirod etc etc. B)B)B):mad:

Hold on.. this is a storm in a teacup. As far as I know, no one in geocaching has a name that doesn't easily identify themselves.

errrm...

We asked our 3 year old son what we should call ourselves, and he decided our name on the basis that whenever we go out we always ended up having Tea & Cake...

Well, I'm evilrooster throughout my Web presence (except on ebay, where it was taken. and I'm thefoulfowl). I'm even evilrooster in bookbinding terms, with a little rooster emblem on everything I bind. So changing for geocaching would seem strange; this is just who I am.

I tend to introduce myself with "I'm evilrooster" to people who will know me by that name (as spioradsoar will testify). The fact that it's not on my passport or driving license doesn't make it any less my identity.

I also use my "real" name. That is, my friends and family do actually call me MCL now, after about 20 years of trying to get everyone to do so.

I'm MCL, in every web presence I have.

I have never believed in hiding behind a nickname, and I rather prefer it if others don't.

They do, though, and there's nothing I can do about it. So I'll stop moaning and get me coat...

It wouldn't matter if I used my real name or my caching name as most other cachers I've met remember my hat a lot better than they remember me <_< .

In fact, at a CITO event on Saturday another well known cacher (who looks nothing like me :tongue: ) but who just happened to be wearing a similar hat was asked "How yer doin', Pharisee?"

Bit of a bummer, really :rolleyes:

Dad gum it all, I thought you were Hank Williams Jr. I should have known, because if you were Hank, your avatar slogan would read, "Wearin' hat, fixin' to go cachin'". :unsure:

Oh look, that's my real name, down there. And no, I'm not a fashion guru. Anyone who has ever met me will be able to confirm I'm not *that* Paul Smith.

I also have my ugly mug on quite a few of my caches so people get to know what I look like. That way they'll come over and talk to me (show me their scars, both physical and mental/rubbish my co-ords -It's not me, it's my GPS!/ask for help on the Black King - you've two hopes...) if our paths ever cross. Not sure if that was wise or not...

SP :rolleyes: