Compose The World's Worst-possible Logbook Entry

Beat this: :huh:

"Hello geo casher people. I ran accross this wierd metal box of yours when I was hiking with me and my best friend Bubba in these here mountains. There's a note in the box that says "congradulashuns, yew found it!" or something like that, but there are too many big words in it for me and Bubba to read.

Wow! You guys have some wunnerful stuff! But I have some questions. Why is this logbook blank? Why ' does it say 'congradulashuns on completing this ultimate 100-step, 5-star multi!' on the front of the writing book? It's a multi-what? I don't know about no "especially the scuba diving step" either, what does that mean?

Also why does it say "Million Dollar Cache Challenge!" in the writing book too, when there are no dollars in it? I guess it has something to do with all these nice pretty gold coins inside the box! They gots deers on the front of these pretty yellow coins! Me and Bubba likes hunting deers! Bubba can hit anything in one shot. I bet I could toss these up and he could shoot them right out of the sky!

And there are also these fancy certificate looking things with names of famous corporations on them, and it says big words like "stock" and "5000 shares" and stuff like that. Them fancy papers would make some pretty wallpaper for my doublewide! It also gots some tiny rocks that shine real pretty and clear-like, but they too small for anything useful.

Anyway, nice metal box too. You folks are amazing. God bless you for leaving this wonderful metal box just for me and Bubba to find! It's just what we need! We can put our fishing tackle into it. I'll just take this box and stuff and leave the logbook in this hollow tree here.

I don't know nuthin' about no dot com things or computer things, but maybe when you guys find it, you can look for me and explain this whole darn thing to me, anyway. I'm just down the mountain road in the ol' holler about 15 miles east from here, past the church. Come on by and visit sometime! Just please bring me another one of them nice metal boxes with ya. Bubba needs a spare fishing tackle box. Thanks, y'all!!"

Edited by Sparrowhawk

I keep up with area cache logs for the caches I still need to visit...

One of them recently was.

Nice Cache.

Or something to that effect.. *sigh* I do wish people would at least put useful stuff on the site... Today I'm going to check on my first cache just to see what was written in the book.. This should be interesting.

They logged it, then shot up the cache including their own log.

this one definately takes the cake in my book....

...nice touch shooting the cache afterwards. took everything, left bullet holes. krikes, i just can't believe the nerve of some people. at least they were pretty honest with their call sign there ;P

I found a cache last year that apparently had been stumbled upon by some local kid. And it seemed like he thought the cache was some sort of Pen Pal or something. I don't remember the exact wording, but to paraphrase he said something like, "My name is Jimmy. What's your name? Maybe I'll come back with some stuff and we can trade!?" At least he didn't plunder it.

Oh, and there was some joker a few months ago who had created a geocaching.com ID and then used it to create a bunch of fake log entries on geocaching.com. For a bunch of local caches Although the way he 'defaced' the cache pages with his entries was sort of dispicable, I had to admit that some of his entries were quite creative and actually made me laugh... "Nice sunny day for caching. Took fuzzy dice. Left cute kitten and a bowl of food." (I'm a cat lover, not cat hater, btw.)

Edited by Jeeters
May not compare but the worst I've seen (and most likely posted once or twice) is:

TNLNSL

While it may not be true in all cases (and I apologies if this was one of your hides), this kind of log can be used to politely say that the cache was not great (poor placement, area, container...). If a large proportion of the logs are like this (TNLNSL or other terse comments) it indicates to me that I should go find some other caches first. Therefore it can be quite a good log....

May not compare but the worst I've seen (and most likely posted once or twice) is:

TNLNSL

While it may not be true in all cases (and I apologies if this was one of your hides), this kind of log can be used to politely say that the cache was not great (poor placement, area, container...). If a large proportion of the logs are like this (TNLNSL or other terse comments) it indicates to me that I should go find some other caches first. Therefore it can be quite a good log....

if it's raining, or the windchill is below zero, don't expect much more than that.

TNLNSL. #9/18 today.

That means there are 17 more logs out there just like this one...

Yes,

We had a group of 4-digit caches come through the area and so now every PQ I get, most of the caches five most recent logs are identical. They're all some variant of "Nice cache, thanks."

Those are the worst. I'd rather read about how someone accidently found the cache when they went to go take a dump.

[edit] Added some more

Given some thought though, TNLNSL is still better than nothing, and from my observations, almost half the people don't log online at all. We've figured in the chat room that only one in five DNFs are logged online.

So I guess TNLNSL isn't the worst.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
Yes,

We had a group of 4-digit caches come through the area and so now every PQ I get, most of the caches five most recent logs are identical. They're all some variant of "Nice cache, thanks."

Those are the worst. I'd rather read about how someone accidently found the cache when they went to go take a dump.

Jamie...

Yep, that same group of 4-digit cachers (a group based in an area about equidistant from both you and me, right?) (OK, a bit closer to you, but you know...) came thru my area and cut/pasted the same log entry on every one my caches they found. And it wasn't "TNLNSL", it was a couple sentences with all the sincerity of floating turds. I'd have PREFERRED "TNLNSL".

Couldn't agree with you more.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Edited by drat19

my personal peeve is the ones who make 7 out of 15 today -or worse yet!- what number total it is for them out to be an interesting log entry. nobody who placed those caches cares. nobody but you cares. what people want to read about is antything interesting that happened in the course of your visit.

i found a buncha caches on saturday with three other people and we all did our best to make interesting entries for the cache placers to read, as well as other travellers. i actually read people's logs, and i appreciate it when they make an effort to say something interesting. this does not mean they have to be a literary genius; i take it as read that some people aren't very clever with words, but anyone who's capable of finding a cache is capable of more than "nice hide. thanks."

and by the way, if i've left a tnlnsl, you'll think twice about putting this one one your must see list.

Potlatch - the best worst cache log combo:

July 27, 2003 by Criminal (147 found)

We found this one after some pretty heavy duty bushwhacking. To make it easier for the next finder, we chopped out all vegetation 30 feet around the cache. We felled two large trees that might be a nuisance as well. We then triple wrapped it in a shopping bag, a kitchen garbage bag, and a brown hefty sack. After that, we tied a trail of ribbons, not more than three feet apart, leading from the road to the cache. I wasn’t sure if all that would be sufficient, so I ran to the hardware store for some day-glow orange paint and repainted the can. With the little paint that remained, I sprayed a large arrow on the barren ground pointing to the cache. Took a $20 gold coin (1887) and left a range golf ball that should be good for at least five more hits.

Thanks Travis for a fun hunt.

July 27, 2003 by TroubleChild (15 found)

Found it with my dad. We didn't do any of those things. Took the buck and left a NSN 6515-00-383-0565

Edited by travisl

I liked the opening post by Sparrowhawk. Here's my idea of a really bad log:

I was walking in the woods when I saw your box. I didn't initially think much of it at first, but I realized that in these times, it very well could have been placed by a terrorist. So I called the FBI, and they told me to move away as they evacuated the 1 mile radius of your box. The FBI agents then exploded the box, causing a loud sound which you probably heard, and wondered what that was. Well sir, that was your mystery box exploding. The only thing left of the box was the logbook, which in the explosion was sent through the air a mile to where I was standing. I read the logbook and noticed that your box probably was not threatening. So right now I am signing it with my apologies. Fortunately, the FBI told me that your name and phone number was listed on the box. They are very angry with you, however, for placing a box in the middle of this forest that could have potentially threatened national security. So right now you should be expecting helicopters over your house with FBI agents storming it any minute now. They told me that they do not expect this to be a peaceful encounter. So you are likely to face years in federal prison. Sorry for any inconvenience this might bring.

I found a large urban cache some time ago. It had various log entries from non-cachers, suggesting that it may have been used as a stash for marijuana (none there when we found it...). One of the only laugh-out-loud logs that I can remember:

Took weed. Left quickly.

After finding a cache placed by a friend of ours, my brother logged online:

Nice little canyon. Interesting spot. I found this cache with Skinguy. This is another one of those "drove past a million times but never stopped" caches.

Took- Ammo Box

Left- Tupperware

Thanks!

That got a few good laughs (and raised eyebrows, and panicked phone calls...)

BTW -- he didn't.

Didn't have to make this one up. Someone did it for me:

We found it and moved it to a place with two falls. Go up river 3 or 4 miles where the river becomes a channel. Stay to the right side go sw 260 degrees 30 steps coming to a 10 foot cliff look up and behind a brush.

T: Susan B Anthony Dollar

L: A Battery Mosquito Repeller

And can you believe based on this description, someone else actually found the cache!

Given some thought though, TNLNSL is still better than nothing, and from my observations, almost half the people don't log online at all. We've figured in the chat room that only one in five DNFs are logged online.

Half? Wow. With my caches it's around 15% sign the log but don't go online.

As for TNLNSL, that seems SOP for many cachers these days. Some just put a sticker on the page with "Cache # 1234 found" filled in. With so many micros, log-only caches and cache machines these days, the emphasis seems to be on numbers and not the individual caches.

The briefest entries I've seen were lone smilies that appeared on several local online logs. I checked a couple of the physical log books and the people had not signed them. Probably kids messing around with the computer.

The most disturbing logs have been mine that were deleted. They were somewhat critical but I thought that was warranted and, in one case, I went to the trouble of making a nice photo collage of the area to highlight the good points. Gone without so much as a query from the owners. Put a damper on me wanting to invest much time in logging, so now I generally keep it to a sentence or two. In fact, I take more care on benchmark and locationless cache entries. So, if I ever do one of your caches and just say "Thanks," don't take it personally.

Perhaps the sheer number of cachers these days has an impact on the length and detail in online logs left by many people. Much time can be spent writing an interesting log, only to have it pushed off the page into an abyss of the never-read after only a couple of days and five subsequent "thanks for the cache"s.

After going on a cache run weather it be at home or out on the road in another state I usually do a copy and paste with my logs unless the cache is exceptional then will take the time to say so. But when doing a run we only do caches with a 2.5 X 2.5 rating or down not get bogged down. We have seen so many caches, and don’t get me wrong we enjoy everyone but there are a lot alike. Sometimes we do a few special ones that have been pointed out to us because they were neat. When I see the copy and past logs on my caches it make me want to place different and more interesting hides below the 2.5 X 2.5 rating for others to enjoy. I do not have the command of the english language or a word smith, if I get one sentence right I go with it for all. I have fun finding the cache not writing the logs ……………… JOE

It makes me go "ARRRRGGH!"? ;-) when there are complaints about my copying and pasting Sorry bout that

As one of those mentioned above, I will have to agree with Joe. When I hunt I will generally cut and paste my logs for the great majority of them. I try to write a few lines which express a genuine gratitude for the time taken to hide the cache, I apologize if you interpreted them as "a couple sentences with all the sincerity of floating turds." That said, if I see something interesting, or if it is a clever hide or location etc. I usually make a note of that in my log. So if I hunted your stuff and all you got was the cut and paste version it means that I appreciate the effort in your cache, but it was not overly impressive. Sorry, I was trying to be polite before. I think if you look you will find that if your cache deserved praise it got it, but how many ways can you say, thanks for making look under this particular tree, or in this guard rail or under this lightpole. Most of us are guilty of it, very few people will take the time to write a genuine log on an easy nondescript cache, particularly if you did several easy nondescript caches over a weekend. I save it up for the tough ones or the clever ones, or even the easy ones where something interesting happened.

"Dear Friends,

My name is Federal Agent, Michael M. Loomis. I was sent to these coordinates by a local drug lord to participate in what was supposed to be a controlled buy of several hundred kilograms of marijuana. When I arrived at the coordinates, my FBI Issued Magellan GPSr was very foggy about where exactly the coordinates were, but eventually, after several hours, and miles of hiking later, I arrived at what I believed to be the coordinates. Low and behold, no drug dealers, and so I decided to sit on a fallen log that looked very comfortable. While sitting, a dozen mercenaries appeared out of bushes in every direction. They proceeded to shoot the living crap out of me, until I was dead. I was wearing a bullet proof vest, and so none of the shots actually hit me, so after about 100 rounds, I played dead. I then heard some screaming, and all but one mercenary left. It was at this time that I noticed your "Mystery Box," in the short time during which the mercenary I was able to open the cache and make a trade. I then used the trade items to mortally wound my murderer before he shot me.

Took Spoon,

Left Last Will and Testament of Federal Agent, Michael M. Loomis"

After having a few events and meeting other local cachers in the area, I like reading more than TNLNSL--even though our paths cross online much more often than they do physically, I can get a better idea of what's happening with these individuals who have become my friends from a well written log. I would prefer a log that read "Your cache sucks, this park sucks, and your coordinates suck" than TNLNSL--at least that gives me a better idea of what I need to fix as far as my cache placement. But back on topic, the best (worst?) logbook entries have been "Took mechanical pencil, left McToy"--so okay, Einstein, how are the next finders going to sign the logbook? "N" is for Knowledge!!!

My least favorite physical-log entries are the ones written by people who "found" the cache days or weeks before the cache had actually been hidden. I have never been able to figure out why those logs almost invariably read "thanks for the GREAT cache!" How would they know? :rolleyes:

I also dislike logbook entries where one person will sign for an entire group and list everyone's name ... can't the other members of the group take the time/make the effort to at least sign their own names? I notice that each member of such groups has absolutely no problem finding the time to claim their find online. If, however, logbooks are to be used by cache owners to verify online entries, such 'global' entries are worthless unless there was also photo-documentation of the entire group at the cache site.

Edited by Bassoon Pilot
I also dislike logbook entries where one person will sign for an entire group and list everyone's name ... can't the other members of the group take the time/make the effort to at least sign their own names?

Certain members of our team can't sign their own name !!

muddy-brynney.jpg

Brynney

Edited by MoonHerb
ertain members of our team can't sign their own name !!

I'm sure you understand I was referring not to "teams," but rather to "groups" of individuals who cache together and log separately. With that in mind, if your pup has its own geocaching account, you should bring along an inkpad and stamp your pup's paw print in the logbook. :rolleyes: (Actually, I know of several people who use ink stamps or printed stickers to log their pets in logbooks. Strangely, I've also met some adults who cache with their young children ... the kids have online accounts but the adults don't, yet the adults do the actual 'caching' while the kids amuse themselves in other ways. The kids get called over to trade and sign the log once the adults have found the cache.)

Edited by Bassoon Pilot