Alternative To A Knapsack

capjap

I hate carrying a backpack to stow all the gear. It's not the carrying that is an issue, it's the take it off, open one of the various compartments, search, find, replace, rezip and put back on that is getting to me.

So I was looking for an alternate solution and saw some photographer's vests with lots of pockets. But I haven't found any that are in Canada. Has anyone seen any in Canada? (I don't like the fishing vests as they are too short...I want something that I can wear over my winter stuff too.)

I hate carrying a backpack to stow all the gear. It's not the carrying that is an issue, it's the take it off, open one of the various compartments, search, find, replace, rezip and put back on that is getting to me.

So I was looking for an alternate solution and saw some photographer's vests with lots of pockets. But I haven't found any that are in Canada. Has anyone seen any in Canada? (I don't like the fishing vests as they are too short...I want something that I can wear over my winter stuff too.)

I know exactly what you are saying capjap. Countless times I have ignored that Kodak moment because my camera and binoculars are in Fort Knox hanging on my back along with all those other goodies geocachers like to carry. I did buy a Tilley vest for those short-hike caches and that serves the purpose quite well. My backpack is a camelbak so I don't like to venture too far without it particularly on hot days. My daughter gave me for Xmas a camelbak fanny-pack which will be perfect for the shorter hunts.

Cheers, Olar

I have just what you need. Go to http://www.tilley.com and track down the VOMP (vest of many pockets) or the Different Drummer vest. This is what I have and its very handy. I'm with you on the backpack. I wear them when I'm out for a long hike, but I need the surface area of my back free for "system cooling" haha!

Cheers!

C-A

Nice, but pricey. Excuse me a minute while I perform CPR on my Visa Card! :huh:

Problem with fishing vests is that they have lots of small pockets for flies and things and I prefer fewer larger ones. Photo vests would seem to be ideal for geocaching and they're widely available from camera stores. Domke make a good one and it's available from Henry's Camera or for the real heavy duty look try the Khumbu.

Canadian prices seem out of line - Can$160 for a Domke from Henry's, US $65 from B&H :D

surveyor's vests might work well.

Used to wear those at work. I think they had 21 pockets of assorted sizes which meant I was always patting myself down trying to find things :D The pockets tend to accumulate things as time passes and the vest gains wieght ;)

Edited by PDOP's
surveyor's vests might work well.

Used to wear those at work. I think they had 21 pockets of assorted sizes which meant I was always patting myself down trying to find things :D The pockets tend to accumulate things as time passes and the vest gains wieght :D

Thats what is! If I quit wearing this darned vest I'll quit gaining weight.

Wait I'm not wearing a vest!

Nevermind. ;)

The Tilley looks nice but I too nearly had heart failure when I saw the price...it's worth more than my GPS! If I had that kind of money to spend on a vest, you can bet I'd have the new 60cs!

The tactical vest is a little too out there, I'd be downright scary!

I saw this one that I think I'd like http://www.lapolicegear.com/saphve.html

but I'd rather get one here and know what I am paying for. All those hidden expenses with duty, taxes, shipping etc and then if it doesn't fit...what a pain.

Never thought to check a hunting store, but the fishing vest is definitely out.

Thanks guys.

any surplus store will have mock and real tactical vests from various countries. world famous makes a nice "hippie sack" which can be purchased in an array of manly colours so it would not be mistaken for a purse. you might look and feel like a bit of a knob but you can also consider military webbing which can be configured to fit the type of cache and hike.

or you can suck it up and organize your pack. Admiral Byrd and i both use a pack from MEC called the jet ranger which works wikkid for caching. even has a pouch on the back support for your platti or camelback.

for those of you new to the sport and the outdoors in general, MEC is Mountain Equipment Co-op. fabulous place to buy caching and outdoor crap. (if you want to brave the downtown Toronto traffic)

nothingface

All you need is THIS , made in Canada and field tested. Pockets are modular and can be adjusted to suit your needs, and there is even a space specifically made for a Camel-Back on the back. Best of all it is lightweight with breathable mesh. This is a FREE item :D , yes FREE :D , all you need to do is go down to your local Army Reserve Armoury and say " :D Sign Me Up ;) " and they will be more than glad to help you out. :D

Binrat

Edited by Binrat

I have been using a Lowe camera carrying system for two years now. And I love it. :( I can add pouches or remove pouches according to my needs. Most pouches have a foul weather cover to protect the enclosed items. You can add padding or remove padding. And the weight is carried on my hips not my shoulders. I don't know how much my wife payed for it but I think she bought it at Ponds camera shop in Guelph. The model is Lowepro Street and Field system.

Baston

Edited by Baston

I wandered down to Mountain Equipment Coop and picked up one of the waist packs. It's big enough to hold a small notepad for the geocache printouts, cache trading items, a light sweater, and a few granola bars for munchies.

I then add belt pouches to hold the digital camera, the GPS, and a 2 way radio. Add in a 1 litre water bottle in a shoulder strap, and I'm all set for those geocaching trips.

Chris-Mouse

I still use a backpack.

On the right chest strap I have a simple pouch for my GPS / Camera (they both fit in, but I usually have one or the other in my hand)

On the left chest strap is a smaller pouch for a set of mini binos.

On the right hand side is a water bottle pouch.

When I get to the cache I take it off and relax.

It's good for carrying all kinds of loot and munchies... and my dog leashes.

BTW - Binrat - the new stuff is cool, :mad: but if I used it, then I'd still be at work B) ... nope, nope, nope - when I'm off, I'm OFF. B)

All you need is THIS , made in Canada and field tested. Pockets are modular and can be adjusted to suit your needs, and there is even a space specifically made for a Camel-Back on the back. Best of all it is lightweight with breathable mesh. This is a FREE item B) , yes FREE B) , all you need to do is go down to your local Army Reserve Armoury and say " :mad: Sign Me Up B) " and they will be more than glad to help you out. B)

Binrat

B) Of course what our friend of the ground-pounding pursuasion forgets to tell you is that in the finest traditions of military supply systems everywhere, this item only comes in three sizes:

1. Too big;

2. Too small; and

2. All out! :D

Go Navy!

I wear my Scott eVest, but it ships from the US and the company they ship with charges rather high brokerage fees. Too bad they don't ship USPS. Most of my Geocaching related stuff I keep in a fanny pack ready to go, only the GPS typically lives in the eVest, the rest is filled with camera, PDA, CF GPS (for PDA), Cell Phone, batteries, LED flashlight, other things I have forgotten about...

I wear my Scott eVest, but it ships from the US and the company they ship with charges rather high brokerage fees.  Too bad they don't ship USPS.  Most of my Geocaching related stuff I keep in a fanny pack ready to go, only the GPS typically lives in the eVest, the rest is filled with camera, PDA, CF GPS (for PDA), Cell Phone, batteries, LED flashlight, other things I have forgotten about...

Cool I want one!

MEC has a few sling bags anywhere from 59.99 to 21.00. The one that I want is kinda like team tigger's roots bag. You pull on it and it comes around to the front of you. The one I want is called the Pod it is only 7L and have a inside pocket for PDA or MP3 player and a pocket mounted on the strap for Gps or cell phone. It sells for 21.00 .

I tried the backpack method, but hated taking it off to get at stuff, and trying to sneak through tree tangles and finding out that my clearance was higher than expected.

I switched to a lumbar-pack (yes, I know it may be a "fanny pack", but I'm using the same logic here when I say my "haversack" isn't a purse).

It's out of the way for most of what I have to do, and if I need anything from it, I can just slide the bag to the front and grab what I need.

I hate carrying a backpack to stow all the gear.  It's not the carrying that is an issue, it's the take it off, open one of the various compartments, search, find, replace, rezip and put back on that is getting to me.

So I was looking for an alternate solution and saw some photographer's vests with lots of pockets.  But I haven't found any that are in Canada.  Has anyone seen any in Canada? (I don't like the fishing vests as they are too short...I want something that I can wear over my winter stuff too.)

I carry only my gpsr and trades that fit in a pocket. How much stuff are other cachers carrying that you need packs and vests?

Let's see....camera, GPSr, FRS radios, PDA, cell phone, a baggie of swag items, inhaler, compass, pencil and pen, water bottle, kleenex, extra baggies and batteries, jacket in the spring, and in the winter....mitts and a hat.

Until I went paperless, I also had a duotang of the caches I planned on doing that particular day. Once I forgot the duotang in the car....it had valuable info that I didn't remember reading so we never did find the cache. It was too far to go back to the car for it because we were close to the end of our day, and it was a fair bit of a hike back to the car.