Please More Help With Palm Usage

camp chaos clan

So, I have downloaded mobipocket and tried it, and found it very cumbersome.

Now I downloaded plucker and gpx spinner, tried another PQ asking only for gpx, not ebook, and my computer says gpx is not recognized by win32.

So, firstly, why won't my computer open the gpx file, and secondly, should I plunk down my $7. for cachemate?????

Thank you - I feel SO stupid!

:huh: No problem. I think you'll find GSAK useful in your endeavours. It is still in development and it will expire but ClydeE is doing an awesome job at updating this tool and adding features at users' request. The released timebomb versions seem to be very stable.

I commented in my reply to you that this is the tool that has convinced me to become a premium member when Groundspeak activates their merchant account number so I won't have to go through PayPal or send a check.

So, firstly, why won't my computer open the gpx file, and secondly, should I plunk down my $7. for cachemate?????

GSAK, as TotemLake stated, will more than cover the opening of the gpx files on the PC.

As far as Cachemate goes, get it. It is the best, and I tried the others, Palm-based caching tool. $7 goes to a fellow cacher. He is very active with his software and offers great support. BTW, it just works. I use it all the time and paid the money after the first day trrying it out.

Deckyon and totemlake,

thanks for the replies. I will use cachemate. But so far my computer says it cannot open .gpx files. also, when I used gsak, it asked if I wanted all my downloaded gpx files turned into gsak files. I figured out the gps so wuickly, I thought I was a genius, LOL. Pride goeth before a fall! :huh:

You have to associate gpx files with gsak to be able to open them by double clicking on them. I don't know if gsak does that be default. A better alternative is to first open gsak then open your gpx file from inside gsak. Depending on how you use GSAK that would be the normal way to do it.

Some people use Cachemate and love it. Others use Plucker. I prefer Plucker. I like the way it shows the pages and hints and shows the relationship of each cahe to the others.

Sure, you can't add notes to the plucker pages as you can with Cachemate, but there are a number of caching databases for the Palm. I recently switched to ABXGuy's Cache Log Book. It works wonderfully for recording your cache hunts in the field.

Just got my PDA (a Sony Clie s360) on Tuesday, and by Wednesday night had both Spinner/Plucker and Cachemate installed to the PDA and PC as required to try them both out to see which I preferred.

I have no problems getting the cache files converted and transferred over to their respective programs, except for one small problem: aren't one or both of them supposed to also transfer the maps from the cache pages as well as the text? I've read so much on both Plucker and Cachemate that I'm sure I'm confusing things, but seem to remember that Cachemate is actually text only, but editable, and Plucker is the one with the graphics (including the cache page maps) but is just viewable. I don't seem to be getting the cache page maps with either.

If Cachemate IS text only anyway, then it looks like I'm doing that one correctly, and so far really like what I'm getting from that.

But I AM following the Geocacher-U.com paperless instructions to the letter for the GPXSpinner & Plucker combination to give that a fair shake too, but the only graphics I got, both last night and tonight when I tried it again to REALLY make sure I wasn't missing a step somewhere, was just the cache type icon, nothing else. Should I be getting the cache page maps when I download the cache pages into Plucker? Or did I just imagine that I read you could do that?

As always, any assistance is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks.

You can't really get usable cache page maps onto the PDA. They come from several different servers, and are interactive. You could never get them to be zoomable in any case. If you want maps, you need to save them as jpg images and then use a graphics viewer to look at them. You can do this with USAPhotomaps if you like, and it will import the gpx files and display the cache locations. That's not really feasible on the Palm, though.

And GSAK has no 'time bomb' versions which expire, AFAIK. There have been a number of beta releases, some of which had bugs, but the version releases are freeware, and don't expire, nor do the betas. I'm not sure where that impression came from.

Edited by NightPilot