How to convey geocaching coolness (near boston)?

MaverickDave

I've been into geocaching now for a couple of months, and I absolutely love it (even though I don't get to do it nearly enough...). A good friend of mine has asked me about it a couple of times, and I can't seem to get him to see past "so the website tells you where it is, and you go get it. What's the point?" I think we're going caching this weekend, and I'm looking for tips to help him "get it". Either things to tell him, websites to point him to (besides the geocaching.com FAQ, and other obvious things), or specific caches to go look for. I think we're going to try some in Rockport, MA, but I'm open to anything within an hour or so of Boston.

Thanks!

-Dave

A friend tipped me in on this Geocaching hobby/sport just over a week ago, and I've really enjoyed the sport especially moreso after making a couple *finds* icon_smile.gif Also a great bonus is I've now discovered all these wonderful parks & trails around the area I live which probably woulda went unfound otherwise!

Yes be sure to let your buddy be the 1 to find the caches even if it means some "creative herding" on your part so he looks in the right area icon_biggrin.gif

I'd emphasize that it's like a treasure hunt, the boxes are hidden and you have to figure out where they are. You hardly ever just walk up to them. Plus, there's a certain amount of error, so you're really being told, "Okay, somewhere near this spot there's a hidden box. Find it." The fun is in being clever enough to figure out how it might have been hidden, spotting a few rocks out of place, things that ordinary people walking by would never notice. Geocaching is like knowing a secret. I like that part.

I'd take your friend on a hunt for a cache that you know is well-done, cleverly hidden, a bit of a challenge. Don't want him to think "Okay, so Geocaching is when you chuck a piece of Tupperware under a bush." icon_smile.gif

Rare has it been that I have found a cache where you just walked straight up to it from you car, etc. I have found, at least in my area, that most of the battle is just getting to the coordinates. I agree with the above posts, give him the GPS and let him find the path.

Patti and Matthew McKenna, Watsonville California

Garmin 72

I have to agree with my neighbors to the north, half the battle can be getting to the coordinates.

Some of the best laughs I've had caching has been watcing newbies do the leading/finding. icon_biggrin.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

I'm fairly new to this too, but the things I find cool about it are....that you can sit at home wondering what to do, but you usually end up doing the same old things again, and again. This "sport" gets you out to some place new, usually some place cool that you didn't know was there. The getting there is fun...you're going somewhere....but you don't even know where. Then there is the thrill of the hunt, the spoils of victory, or the agony of defeat.

Plus it can be good exercise. How cool is that?

It's an awesome way to enjoy the great outdoors. I think you appreciate it more because you've never seen the area before. You enjoy the getting there because in a sense you're already there....the whole thing is an adventure.

Dachebo

"Sometimes it's (Just The Going)" - J. Hiatt