Necessary accessories?

sbic56

I am very new to geocaching and excitted to get started! After doing my research, I believe the etrex venture is a good GPS to start off with for me. Are there any accessories that you would reccommend for a new geocaching enthusiast? Thanks in advance for your suggestions & assitance!

quote:
Originally posted by sbic56:

Are there any accessories that you would reccommend for a new geocaching enthusiast? Thanks in advance for your suggestions & assitance!

Get yourself a dissent compass. It does not have to be all that fancy. You'll need it for when you get close to the cache. icon_smile.gif

Vince

KD5NVO

0H/7F

quote:
Originally posted by sbic56:

Are there any accessories that you would reccommend for a new geocaching enthusiast? Thanks in advance for your suggestions & assitance!

Get yourself a dissent compass. It does not have to be all that fancy. You'll need it for when you get close to the cache. icon_smile.gif

Vince

KD5NVO

0H/7F

I presume you're talking about accessories for your Venture - as regular accessories can be found in the thread over here.

One of the best combinations I got for accessories was a cigarette lighter adapter and RAM suction cup mount. That makes it so you can have your GPS on and viewable while driving. Saves battery life by not using them until you're in the field. You can even use the backlight when driving at night without fear of draining the batteries at an exponential rate.

On that subject, buy yourself some good rechargeable batteries and keep some good AAs in your pack for when the rechargeable ones wear out.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I found that a $20 Cell Phone mount (from Radio Shack) with a suction cup mounting system worked well to anchor my GPS unit to windshield while in car (let bottom rest on dash so it doesn't vibrate) ... Lots cheaper than the $49 the GPS unit manufacturer wanted for their mount...

Dale

---------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked In A Parallel Universe.

---------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Dale_Lynn:

I found that a $20 Cell Phone mount (from Radio Shack) with a suction cup mounting system worked well to anchor my GPS unit to windshield while in car (let bottom rest on dash so it doesn't vibrate) ... Lots cheaper than the $49 the GPS unit manufacturer wanted for their mount...

Dale

QUOTE]

I took an old can holder and modified it. It's the kind that hangs from the door window and fits the small soda cans. I cut the front half of the ring away which gave the unit "sides" to keep my GPSr from shifting. A piece of velcro, the hook part, on the holder and the fuzzy velcro on the GPSr "locks" them together and holds the GPSr in place. Then I just hang the holder from an A/C vent or trim on the dash. About as inexpensive a set up as I could get.

Wadcutter

I agree with the mount (factory, homemade, whatever). Another nice accessory is mapping software. I really like the MapSource Topo (Garmin's topo software). It adds some functionality to the basemaps. It also means that you probably want a computer-to-GPSr cable.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I agree with the mount (factory, homemade, whatever). Another nice accessory is mapping software. I really like the MapSource Topo (Garmin's topo software). It adds some functionality to the basemaps. It also means that you probably want a computer-to-GPSr cable.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Thanks all!!

All helpful info; I think should've been more exact as to what I was asking for. I did mean specifically what should I get while ordering the GPS. I see that there are accessories I can order along with it, much as Markwell pointed out. Also, was wondering about Map software as ChazC mentioned. (Plus will get a dissent compass, too. icon_wink.gif) This is all quite exciting to me. I met a man geocaching while I was out biking. It was all new to me. He had the grandkids and wife along and it looked like they were having a blast. He had me in on the hunt in no time. Had to leave with my group before the cache was located though. icon_frown.gif Love the technology and adventure mix! Plus, being directionally challenged, this GPS will come in handy ALOT for me!

Thanks all!!

All helpful info; I think should've been more exact as to what I was asking for. I did mean specifically what should I get while ordering the GPS. I see that there are accessories I can order along with it, much as Markwell pointed out. Also, was wondering about Map software as ChazC mentioned. (Plus will get a dissent compass, too. icon_wink.gif) This is all quite exciting to me. I met a man geocaching while I was out biking. It was all new to me. He had the grandkids and wife along and it looked like they were having a blast. He had me in on the hunt in no time. Had to leave with my group before the cache was located though. icon_frown.gif Love the technology and adventure mix! Plus, being directionally challenged, this GPS will come in handy ALOT for me!

I'll third (or is it fourth) the mount accessory. Nice not to have to wedge the GPS between the dash and the windshield, especially on bumpy roads. I'll also put in a recommendation for TOPO! line of products available through National Geographic. They give you wonderful maps along with the ability to do elevation profiles. That's a life saver out here near the mountains.

"I thought you said this was a quick find!" - My wife

quote:
Originally posted by Wadcutter:

I took an old can holder and modified it. It's the kind that hangs from the door window and fits the small soda cans. I cut the front half of the ring away which gave the unit "sides" to keep my GPSr from shifting. A piece of velcro, the hook part, on the holder and the fuzzy velcro on the GPSr "locks" them together and holds the GPSr in place. Then I just hang the holder from an A/C vent or trim on the dash. About as inexpensive a set up as I could get.

Wadcutter

I went to a "true" dollar store & bought a suction mount automobile note pad/pen + bulk pack of terrycloth covered ponytail elastics. Ripped the pen/coily leash & pad off the holder and used two hair elastics, low and behold a $2.00 windsheild mountable mobile GPS holder.

ps: icon_cool.gifI will sell one of these to anyone for $19.99 + S/H. icon_cool.gif Act now and I will, at no extra charge, include with ever order: a pen with coily leash, three pads for recording your thoughts while geocaching, and 8 multicoloured terrycloth sweatbands for you pet gerbil (will fit hamster with some low cost modifications). icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Wadcutter:

Wadcutter

I went to a "true" dollar store & bought a suction mount automobile note pad/pen + bulk pack of terrycloth covered ponytail elastics. Ripped the pen/coily leash & pad off the holder and used two hair elastics, low and behold a $2.00 windsheild mountable mobile GPS holder.

ps: icon_cool.gifI will sell one of these to anyone for $19.99 + S/H. icon_cool.gif Act now and I will, at no extra charge, include with ever order: a pen with coily leash, three pads for recording your thoughts while geocaching, and 8 multicoloured terrycloth sweatbands for you pet gerbil (will fit hamster with some low cost modifications). icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Seeing as no one made mention of this one I'll point it out.

Water

Either carry some with you. for longish hikes

or leave a gallon in your car. You can use it to drink, clean a cut or cool off. There are a lot of reasons. After batteries I would say this can be the most important.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

Declination of the compass or needle, the horizontal angle which the magnetic needle makes with the true north-and-south line.

OK...so now could someone, (ktjensen?) explain this a bit more clearly to me? I'm beginning to see there is a pretty fair learning curve here...sure is good you all are here!

As a bicyclist, I sure understand the need for plenty of water, so I hear you there, Harrald !