Central Coast Geocachers Of California

Once again the CCGC drops off the first page of the W/SW Forum B) I just can't stand that sort of thing, so here's the one bit of happy news down in our area.

It appears we have a sudden glut of caches down here (at least for us), thanks to a recent graduate of WOW's wonderful Shop of Horrors Event :lol: . Man, was I bummed to miss that event :laughing: . Power tools and caching; sounds like a match made in heaven. Apparently Pinky B was either very busy at the event cranking out various size caches, or some very generous/industrious sorts of folks were unloading on her and Agent 9. Whatever happened, we sure have a bunch of new caches down our way to enjoy. Thanks Pinky :ph34r: .

Just curious.... how many people are members of CCGC?

Unofficially, 16 people are registered on the Yahoo group. You should be able to see the number on the little sidebar under membership (on the right hand side). Unless that's some special Mod privilige. I can't tell you the crushing weight of responsibility that is ;) .

Going to need to do a major membership drive if we ever decide to coin a CCGC coin. At least we have a logo thanks to Raygun ;)

In yahoo, you can click on the "members" link when you're in the home page of ccgca and see all the yahoo IDs that make up the ccgca list. I'm not a mod or anything, so this works as long as you're a member of the group. The trick is to associate the yahoo IDs with the GC.com nicks...

Just curious.... how many people are members of CCGC?

Unofficially, 16 people are registered on the Yahoo group. You should be able to see the number on the little sidebar under membership (on the right hand side). Unless that's some special Mod privilige. I can't tell you the crushing weight of responsibility that is :rolleyes: .

Going to need to do a major membership drive if we ever decide to coin a CCGC coin. At least we have a logo thanks to Raygun <_<

Oh, there's a group somewhere? Where, and how do you join?

And what's this about a local geocoin?!? :ph34r:

You can find the, so called, "local" group here: CCGCA Yahoo Group

It includes some people from Sanity Cruz, Scott's Valley, and a couple from San Jose.

On the geocoin, I was mostly referring to the coin that Kealia is working on (along with help from the Sarge, and Ynots, from the sounds of it). I'm not sure I'd want to do one or not. I may do a personal coin when I hit a zillion finds or something, but I kind of like having a variety of Sig Items.

For any locals looking for a great cache, THIS ONE is a classic.  One of my favorite DNF's so far  :unsure:

Thanks for sharing that, I enjoyed reading your log.

Interesting changes in the water level when you look at your picture of Jr. T.

and the earlier shot posted by bdouglas on 10/21/04.

10/21/04 water level

12/12/04 water level

I'll have bring my kayaks and try this one next time I go to Monterey to dive.

You can find the, so called, "local" group here: CCGCA Yahoo Group

It includes some people from Sanity Cruz, Scott's Valley, and a couple from San Jose.

On the geocoin, I was mostly referring to the coin that Kealia is working on (along with help from the Sarge, and Ynots, from the sounds of it). I'm not sure I'd want to do one or not. I may do a personal coin when I hit a zillion finds or something, but I kind of like having a variety of Sig Items.

It includes some people from Sanity Cruz, Scott's Valley, and a couple from San Jose

We prefer "In"-Sanity Cruz, thank you :grin:

I also read your log for the water cache... Lt Happy Camper and I have been meaning to take our kayaks to the slough... now maybe I have a little more incentive.

:cool: Topic change -

So we're thinking of throwing a CITO event at Natividad Creek Park in Salinas. Biggeek Ben (that's me) does a bunch of volunteer work with Return of the Natives (RON) who plant native vegetation and were the instigators in the creation of the park. So my question is...would people feel safe enough to come to an event towards the east side of Salinas? It's not too far from the 101. I'll post a link to a deactivated cache in the park.

BG Ben B)

In answer to SD's question: I've had Hemlock mostly, followed by SOCalAdmin, then WestCoastAdmin, and one by Tennessee Approver :lol: (go figure).

I've tried emailing the Approvers on a couple of occassions without much luck. I've found the forums are the best place to bounce around ideas. Of course, that only works as long as you're not giving too much away :o .

And to BG's question: I was lucky enough to snag Cache Creek by jpp before it got archived (a second time), and I'd feel pretty safe in that park. I'd also be curious about any volunteer possibilities in Fort Ord. If we're around we'd attend. :D

I'd also be curious about any volunteer possibilities in Fort Ord. If we're around we'd attend.

Yep, I'd like to make something like that happen as well. I was trying to get something together for Public Land's Day which BLM holds in a great picnic area behind mudhen lake that is usually closed off. Return of the Natives does a lot of planting events out there, maybe something like that would work.

Anyhoo.... :lol:

Ya, that TX drama is just too much for me. I waded through a few pages, then gave up :o . Makes me kind of glad for our group of reviewers. I've only had a couple of questions on my caches, and any issues seemed to get cleared up in a note or two.

The RON program sounds pretty cool. There is also something kind of similar up in Yosemite that we've done called VIP (Volunteer In the Park). You have to put in a day of hard labor for a free campsite at the group camp down by Sentinel. It's a way cool campground, and one of the best kept secrets of the Valley. I was thinking of trying to put something together next year, but I'd like to be a Team Leader in order to do it. You can tag along with other groups that have a Team Leader, but it's not quite as much fun (getting to drive park vehicles and run chainsaws and stuff). We've done it for several years with the Access Fund group (a bunch of climbers) and the work is kind of demanding sometimes (trail clearing, cleaning campgrounds, tearing down buildings, digging ditches for water lines, etc.), but it's been fun.

Just on a hyperbole here: with all the talk of geocoins, I was thinking of doing a smashed penny with the CCGC logo on it. Would anyone be interested in doing something like that? I thought the smashed penny would fit our groups humble roots better than a flashy geocoin :lol:

Edit: here's a link to the Gowin Family's Smashed Penny site: Smashingpenny.com

Edited by Touchstone
btw, we're a hot topic

:D  :D  :P  :D  :D  :D  :lol:  :D  :D  :)  :)  :D

If only we had more members in our

group.

Well, I just joined, so I hope another warm body helps. Looking forward to meeting some of you folks in person. I live in Carmel Valley, so I should be able to find some of you without too much difficulty. Do you meet, and if so, how, where, and when <_<

Please let me know how to best get started with you folks. I have much to learn and am ready to start.

Edited by jhansman

Welcome jhansman :P

First off, every new member of the CCGC must take a self inflicted....er, I mean self administered test.

1. Who designed the CCGC Logo ?

2. What illustrious Central Coast Cacher has nearly as many caches hidden as finds (it's over 100)?

3. Who hosted the first Geocaching Event on the Central Coast (old timers can correct me on this if I'm wrong)?

For the answers you'll have to become familiar with rot13 (that's short for rotation 13). All the hints on GC.com are encoded in rot13. If you become as addicted as some individuals you'll soon be able to read hints without decoding them. For the rest of us, who are lazy, you can go to http://rot13.com/.

1. enltha88

2.Whfg N Fubeg Jnyx

3. Pbenytrb

After finishing the test there is the obligatory Initiation Cache (some would call it a hazing) :P

Well, here's what I came up with:

1. raygun88

2. just a short walk

3. coralego

Found the location of the first part of the cache, but I can tell you I won't be doing any climbing. Frankly, it seems a bit extreme (and unfair) to me to ask potential joiners to tackle this kind of obstacle right off the bat. Did it ever occur to you how many people you automatically exclude because of physical limitations? I'll pass...

Edited by jhansman

Hi jhansman,

Terribly sorry about the miscommunication. That was just a joke about the TMA-1 cache. I'm sure I speak for Touchstone as well on that. That cache is notoriously hard to do and get to.

There is no requirements for joining other than a desire to cache and a positive attitude. You'll see (especially if you check out these forums) that there is a lot of politics and bickering going on with other groups. I'm proud to say that isn't the case with the CCGC.

There's enough stress in life to bring it into your hobbies as well.

Happy caching!

Biggeek Ben

OK, I guess I figured y'all were serious about that cache being some kind of requirement. No harm, no foul. Since my visit to that site, I've downloaded the .LOC files for several caches in my immediate area and plan on checking them out in the coming days. If you folks ever get together for any reason, let me know. I'd still like to talk in person with enthusiasts.

Well, not to start some flame fest, but I find a couple (maybe more if I think really hard) of problems:

1. After looking at Alt's Archive note I clicked on "closest caches". Sure enough, it's 495 feet from Alt's existing cache. That violates the 0.1 mile rule, not to mention there just aint much room to put a cache in that big hole in the ground.

2. The terrain rating suggested to me that it's up the side of the quarry wall. Lots of PO around, and loose rock. Either the area would get trashed from people climbing up to the cache, or someone would get seriously injured sliding back down. That in itself is not a deal buster to me, but coupled with the fact that Alt's cache is so close, makes me wonder about the placement.

The cache owner appears to be a kid trying out his new Christmas present. That's great! I just think a little more homework was needed for a first cache. I suggested looking up in the nearby Veteran's Park, where there's lots of room for great caches. I hope they don't get discouraged, but I just didn't want to see a bunch of caches put out like the "Doc" series of caches that are ill-maintained and in some cases poorly placed (the Point Lobos cache comes to mind).

Don't get me wrong BG. I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone wanting to post a Find on the cache. Of the two caches in that area though, I'd recommend Alt's cache before this one. Alt's is a nice big ammo can, that I was literally standing on top of before realizing what it was. It's a great placement in an interesting area.

There was a similar situation up near Aromas this last summer. JPP was the FTF and I thought of going up to it soon afterwards. It mysteriously got archived before I got a chance. No Archive note, no nothing. It turns out the cache was probably too close to some active railroad tracks, you had to cross over a busy State Route (a two lane highway), and you had to climb over a fence that was posted as No Trespassing. I never found out the whole story on that one, but it did disappear under some unusual circumstances.

I hope the cache placer of the Quarry Cache comes back. We could use some new members in the CCGC Forum :rolleyes:

One thing to say about Quarry, it's gone three weeks without a single find. But then again, it looks like the only ones out there since it was placed were AltDotAir checking on Coast Guard Peer. Funny considering the FTF frenzy that has taken the area by storm in the past.

Not that I'm bagging on Quarry. I just think that it's interesting, considering the small percentage of local cachers that appear to visit this forum.

Just funny things that my warped mind picks up on.....

Okay, let's get back on the first page....so remember that Return of the Natives (CITO cache) at Natividad Creek Park I was talking about? Well they said they want to do it on Earth day, which is a Saturday the week after the 'official' CITO day. Would people still come, or would they be CITO'd out?

CITO days looks to be on a Thursday, while this event would be the Saturday 10 days later.

Congrats to our occassional local BuckyDef for #800 :anibad: (OK, I just wanted to bump our thread up).

I noticed that Doug & Jennifer are getting pretty close to 100 also :P .

BG: I can put a tentative yes for the April Event, but our schedule is getting so crazy for the Spring, that I'm not sure what's going on right now :surprise: . Just remember Just A Short Walk's adage: "If you hide it(post it or whatever), they will come" :P .