Central Coast Geocachers Of California

Well OK, I'll dive in. My vote for the best cache of 2004 is the CCGC CITO Picnic :D . Of course that will probably limit the voting to those that attended. And I may alter my vote if we have a CCGC Pizza Gathering :P (Jr. T and I love pizza).

Hats off to CBN and his amazingly patient family (for putting up with us). Great activities (fun to hear the stories), great food, and great companionship. Let's not wait a year for the next one.

........... My vote for the best cache of 2004 is the CCGC CITO Picnic.  Hats off to CBN and his amazingly patient family (for putting up with us).  Great activities (fun to hear the stories), great food, and great companionship...............

Agreed!! We alre all indebted to CBN for his fantastic effort.

It was great meeting everyone (a few for the second time) and trading embellishments.

Cache-ya later.

Let's see.... in response to Biggeeks question (since it appears CBN is taking a nap or something [:mad:]): the event cache was won by the GeoBT Team. I was standing nearly on top of the container admiring a yellow sided garter snake under a log, when Teri yelled, "THERE IT IS?". I'm not sure I could get a FTF to save my life :mad:

In other news. The jeep promotion (you can see the link on the gc.com homepage) is going to mail out 50-60 yellow jeep TB's to organizations and/or groups. Here's Hydee's announcement on the Group Forum: Jeep Distribution Announcement.

So are we a group or what? Anybody interested in getting together to help distribute these things on the Central Coast? OK, I'll be honest. I want someone to help me clear up all my DNF's :(

Thanks for the reply Senior T. I keep seeing the event cache notice up, and was wondering...what gives?

Yeah, we're a group! We've got a logo, have event caches and everything. I nominate you as the point of contact for the Jeep peeps. :ph34r:

It looks like the whole promotion thing starts on June 1st. If we've got some in hand by then (or whenever this summer), I'm down for a planting trip. We could even take my Jeep(tame wagoneer)!

As the CSUMB semester is almost over, and I've got no summer employment (at this time) I'm anticipating a little freetime to get my numbers moving again.

I sent in an inquiry, and expressed our interest in distributing a few of these little guys :o Hope they don't find out I'm a Subaru driver :ph34r:

We have an event in Scott's Valley in June that would be a good chance to hand a bunch off. Otherwise, maybe we can put together a pizza thingy.

I'll just bump CBN's thread up a bit.

Kealia family put on a great pizza event up in Scott's Valley yesterday. Lots of talk going on about doing something on a regular basis. Although one participant said he was getting kind of tired of pizza as a theme :P I can't imagine how that's possible :anibad:

Hey Biggeeks! Still thinking of a Phil's night? At least it wouldn't be pizza :wacko:

I'm thinkin' Monday or Thursday at about 7 PM, but maybe Saturday? I wouldn't really be hurt if it were just a handful of local cachers that could make it. Or maybe I'll just bring enough biggeeks to have a good time regardless ;)

Okay, I'm going to decide on time for sometime next week and post it.

"If we it, they will come" :(

Phil's website

I'll have to roll up there to get to coords and maybe snap some pictures, they don't seem to have many good ones on their site

I've been to one event where there wasn't a physical cache associated with it. The idea for that one was to get together as a meet-and-greet since a former area geocacher was visiting. The people who chose to attend didn't seem to mind that the afternoon was spent being social rather than hunting. Of course, there was probably some self-selection for who went to that event...

edit: there was an event cache, there just weren't any new physicial caches to hunt there.

Edited by BuckyDef
Or maybe I'll just bring enough biggeeks to have a good time regardless :(

Sounds good Biggeeks. And yes! Always good idea to bring along your own party just to make sure you have a good time no matter who shows up :D

No physical caches required, like BD says. The pizza thing up in SV put on by Kealia was just a eat and talk type of thing. Loads of fun just swapping stories. I'll have to get the lowdown from you on the Waterfall Jump. My wife doesn't think my life insurance policy is quite large enough yet to allow me to hunt for that one ;)

Sorry, I've been basically everywhere but home this summer.

Tri Camp, North Carolina, Boy Scout Camp, LaCrosse Camp, Colorado, Kaiser Wilderness, canoeing in Canada to name a few.

I'm back, and the thing that shall not be mentioned that starts with S and ends with L shall begin in 10 days. I'll be a lot more available now.

Pizza sounds good. The only thing I know how to clean is my plate.

PS, I'm looking forward to seeing Jr T as an ECCer.

Good to see you survived your summer CBN :lol: Kaiser is one of our favorite places; or at least the whole Shaver/Huntington area.

Lost my password for the Yahoo group ;) , but I'll fill out the survey when I get back onboard. Just a quick observation though: most people are kind of tired of pizza events from what I hear. Probably not such a big deal in our area, but the SF crowd gives a collective groan when they see another pizza thingy posted. Biggeeks Phil Event was great. Smallish turnout, but that just meant you get to smooz with everybody.

Jr. T is REALLY looking forward to being a "Pirate" :( .

Hey CCGeocachers!

I was hoping a previous finder would be able to check on Terra-Indaga's Pez-Cache up at Jack's Peak sometime soon. As I understand he's no longer active. I DNF'd it with another cacher last weekend (to bring the DNF count to 3) and it hasn't been found for a few months. I've placed a new cache in the park as an incentive to go up there... :o

Hey BuckyDef,

I'll see what we can do. I've been telling my self I'm going up to Jack's peak to get all those caches, but...you know. LIFE is always interfering with my caching!

Touchstone

You DIRTY DOG! ;)

'Murietta' kicked my rump (almost) I was up there for almost two hours. I crawled all the way up to 24, and I couldn't believe my ears when I heard someone back at my pack/bike say "woah, were did this come from?" I made a big scene of a lot of coughing and sniffling, to alert them to my prescense, but by the time I got back to check on my bike, new lap top, GPS, digi-cam, CD player, and 128M scandisk they were gone. What a relief that all my junk was still there!

"Who needs knee pads and gloves" I said. I'll just wear this sleevless shirt and shorts. Sometimes I can be slightly stoopid. I'm covered in scratches. All complaining aside. What a great cache! ;)

Whoa is right ;) I'm sure glad your stuff didn't get pilfered. You must have come from above (Gigling rd. I'm guessing). Probably the way I took is the shortest (Parker Flat) past Boom Box. Since the trail up to the start is unused, it's pretty easy to stash a bike in the bushes and head out.

I checked on Pez Cache yesterday, and it's gone. I posted a "should archive" note, since it appears that Terra is not an active cacher at this time. At least I got a FTF out of the deal (Thanks Bucky [;)])

Thought I'd just post a warning to people caching out on the Ft. Ord/Monterey area. It's been brought up before, but probably bears repeating: Mountain Lion sitings are on the increase. The most recent was out near the golf courses on Ft. Ord near X-Marks the Spot Cache and King of the Mountain Cache (both within about a mile from the golf courses).

They have ongoing problems in the Pacific Grove/Asilomar Conference Grounds with a mountain lion.

Watch your little ones and stay alert.

I guess I'll have to wait for your Puzzle cache BG. Both copies of Digital Fortress were checked out of the Stienbeck Library :huh: As I was checking the stacks (just make sure), I had the evil thought that maybe jpp checked them both out just to make sure of the FTF :rolleyes:

I'm kind of glad you put this one together. We're headed out to Hawaii later this year and there's a Puzzle cache that has the same gibberish for clues. Hmmm... could be the same sort of thing, then again....

Jr. T is helping me put together a multi for East Garrison. I'm doing the cutting and hot glue, and he does the engineering (which parts go together). He said the container is, "WAY COOL". I went out today to see if all the parts would fit, but it looks like I'll need to make some adjustments. Hopefully next week :rolleyes:

I had the evil thought that maybe jpp checked them both out just to make sure of the FTF 

I dunno, you never can trust those seniors! :rolleyes:

If you'd like, I can stash my paperback copy of "Digital Fortress" in Central Coast Seedbank and you can hang on to it for a while (no rush--it's a good read). I can stash it in there around 9:00 AM tomorrow at the earliest.

I'll keep my eyes open for the E. Garison multi. Gotta beat those Plunketts!! :rolleyes:

Hmmm..I count 1,2,3...6 caches in Big Sur. I don't see a problem :D If I go plant one down there do I get a signature shotglass :ph34r: .

As Bucky pointed out, there is no NPS land down there. It's all State Park, National Forest, and Ventana Wilderness (Oh, and private land too). I've never heard of State Parks having any problems with caches, although that could change. I've got three in nearby State Parks land, so I'd like to hear if they have a problem with it. The main obstacle for me is the distance (about an hour drive).

As far as discussion boards go: that draws all kind of rants that aren't worth listening to (just look at our boards for instance ;) ). It does seem a bit too coincidental that I've had about six of my caches go missing in the past couple of months (both on BLM land and State Parks land). It does make me wonder if someone is on some kind of crusade ;) .

Oops, I'd be remiss in not congratulating Kealia on #200! :D

Edited by Touchstone

I did see cahces in Big Sur, just not in the park itself (Pfieffer Big Sur) - unless I somehow missed something...???

I'm sure that a shot glass could find it's way to you......now that I'll have to go back that way anyway if there are caches. I didn't get to nearly as many caches as I would have hoped for (my little one jsut wasn't into it while we were there), so I do need to go back and do the one at Andrew Molina, etc.

Thanks for the note on #200 :) .