Newbie Question

BulldogHuxley

BulldogHuxley -

Whether or not it is a replacement, it isn't an official replacement (from the NGS perspective) or it would be so noted in the PID datasheet. You have therefore correctly logged this as a non-find.

I don't see a 'disk scar' in the picture, and that might mean that the actual disk's position still hasn't been seen. You might return sometime to poke around some more.

I would continue to look too, but I have noticed that a lot of the 1930s era marks set by the Pennsylvania Railroad, especially in bridges, were rivets and not actual benchmark disks, so you can't rule out entry error. The fact that it was found in 1970 casts some doubt on this but I have found that the quality of recoveries is often pretty poor too.

I found a similar situation on a railroad bridge where there is a rivet exactly where the disk should be but but no disk (yet). What is holding me back from a full search is that fact that the station is on a bridge abutement with a 30 foot sheer dropoff and the mark, if it is NOT the rivet, is covered with dirt and brush. The dropoff makes me a bit nervous about getting out there with tools and shoving dirt around because a mis-step would result in more severe consequences than usual. I will not log the found-not found until I have made a thorough search though.