The Verdict?

1: Duane changes username to something more suitable to this website.

2: The New York caches become unarchived ONLY if there are other established

cachers ready to adopt them.

3: The caches that were not approved for being too close to other caches be

moved far enough away to meet the guidelines, and if all else is in order get

approved as any other cache would.

4: The cache with the objectionable name be renamed and if all else is in order get

5: Duane takes a voluntary 60 day hiatus from these forums.

6: If Duane does not live up to this he is permanately banned from this site and all

of the caches currently owned by him are archived.

Please, keep this on topic.

Just wondering aloud-if part of the problem is that he has moved from NY to CO then who should be responsible for moving the caches?

The newly adopted owners? Why bother-just create new caches using those old containers in a suitable location. Do the adopters have any allegience to U_t that needs to be valued?

No sarcasm or flippancy here at all-total innocent seriousness. :lol:

Some of the difficulty lies (I believe) in the fact that they NY caches have been adopted... but not by GC users. I am assuming they are on the navi site. So to me its a moot point on the NY caches. Either the new owners post them here or they dont. Either way I not long ago (a month) read a "i've turned over a new leaf" post by this person and so have little faith they will adhere to any proposed solution.

I still say make him an approver. That'll teach him.

That might be a little TOO harsh.... :)

Wow, if becoming an approver is too harsh a punishment for the forum behavior Ive witnessed, what in the heck did Keystone Approver, Co Admin, mtn-man, gpsfun and all the other mods do to deserve their fate? :lol:

This is all fine. However I suspect that the Mods have told Duane what he needs to do and Duane know what he needs to do. All he has to do is play by the rules as set out and not petition the public for suport as well as show some patience and respect. It really seems rather simple. :lol:

4: The cache with the objectionable name be renamed and if all else is in order get

6: If Duane does not live up to this he is permanately banned from this site and all

What is it that I am really guilty of? I am not bringing up the dead horse issue, but geez, give me a break. Change usernames, and stay out of the forums for sixty days? All because I want to hide merhandise in a box for the public. Can I get credit for all the great caches I have hidden? How come members don't point out that fact? Is the glass always have empty? How about doing a PSI on me.

I think I have done more positve then negative. Thank goodness I have proof. :)

D :lol:

What is it that I am really guilty of? I am not bringing up the dead horse issue, but geez, give me a break. Change usernames, and stay out of the forums for sixty days? All because I want to hide merhandise in a box for the public. Can I get credit for all the great caches I have hidden? How come members don't point out that fact? Is the glass always have empty? How about doing a PSI on me.

I think I have done more positve then negative. Thank goodness I have proof. :)

D :lol:

Duane: I was making no judgement on your guilt or innocence, mearly suggesting solutions to outstanding problems. I think the above allows you to get what you want within the 'guidelines' of this site while also taking care of the issue that some have with your, sometimes, going overboard. The 60 days was to give you a chance to cool down and to show the other users that, maybe, you could modify your behavior somewhat.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

1 and 4 seem kind of harsh in my opinion, I mean is the username or cache name really that offensive? :lol:

As for #2, already done some time ago, apparently not everyone cross-posts their cache listings.

1 and 4 seem kind of harsh in my opinion, I mean is the username or cache name really that offensive? :lol:

As for #2, already done some time ago, apparently not everyone cross-posts their cache listings.

1 & 4: The cache was denied BECAUSE of the name and some issues on the cache description, changing his username as I replied to Duane was to show good faith on his part that he might be capable of change. I myself could care less about the names.

2: This is an issue Duane wanted resolved, I think he wants someone to adopt them on this site also.

2: This is an issue Duane wanted resolved, I think he wants someone to adopt them on this site also.

Hmmm...so you mean like Foster Foster Parents in case the indivduals that have already adopted them are lost while on safari looking for caches in Africa? :):lol:

How exactly would this work? I would hope someone would have the courtesy to discuss such a thing with the cache owners before attempting to adopt them out.

Edited by PC Medic

His user name is a non-issue to me. Up until today, I thought it had something to do with yachting. In any event, one's user name just represents us in the forums and has little to do with who we are. Take my name for example. No hidden meanings and it provides no indication of who I really am. Its kind of like the old saying "Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover"

Hmmm...so you mean like Foster Foster Parents in case the indivduals that have already adopted them are lost while on safari looking for caches in Africa? :):lol:

How exactly would this work? I would hope someone would have the courtesy to discuss such a thing with the cache owners before attempting to adopt them out.

The thing is that the adoption by the people who are adopting them on this site has not gone thru. Presumably because they have not been unarchived yet or TPTB won't approve the adoption because they are unwilling to unarchive them. They may be the same cachers who have adopted them on Navicache, I don't know.

I think that the caches should be evaluated and re-enabled once they are within the guidelines, just as anybody elses caches would be re-enabled, regardless of Duane's user name or any other opinions of forum posters. The cache itself did nothing to deserve sitting in limbo. It's silly to think it did. It's an inanimate object.

The guidelines should be applied evenly across the board to everybody without prejudice.

I'm against anybody forcing Duane to change his user name, just as I wouldn't want to change my name if I cleverly disguised some micros, hung them in a tree and called them cachew's nuts. Clearly there are some here who imagine innuendos and are too quick to pull the trigger, while others keep an open mind.

The physical geocaches should not be held hostage based on whatever predjudice one has based on some forum posts.

Edit:typo

Edited by cachew nut
How does that work to have geocache TBs being logged by another organization? Is there much cross over of coins and travel bugs? Today is the first I had heard that it was happening?

This site can only track TB's that it has issued and only thru caches listed here. Other sites operate much the same way. There are a couple of TB sites that only track TB's but I am not sure how successful those are.

from reading the other threads the caches are not being held hostage because of his name. some are too far away, NY to CO; and some he has said he will move to abide by the rules and be approvable.

The ones in NY are ones he wants to adopt out to other cachers and there is one that was not approved due to an objection to it's name (which was another play on what is in his username).

maybe this if off topic but if I owned a TB and it happened to travel to an archived cache and then went to the "other place" I would loose ownership or just not be able to keep track of it?

The TB is always yours, you would just lose track of it, unless of course you follow it's path (if possible) on another site.

Reminder: please keep all posts on topic.

well, it wasn't totally off topic because part of the reason for a verdit was what happens to the TBs and caches that are currently out there. Would part of the verdict be to have the caches and TB's reclaimed by another geocacher in the area? And turned over to??? If they don't get adopted

well, it wasn't totally off topic because part of the reason for a verdit was what happens to the TBs and caches that are currently out there. Would part of the verdict be to have the caches and TB's reclaimed by another geocacher in the area? And turned over to??? If they don't get adopted

Good point. But as the caches are active on another site it would be improper to take the physical cache away. The TB's, if any, could still be recovered even tho the caches are archived, hopefully the cachers that were going to adopt them could take care of that.

maybe this if off topic but if I owned a TB and it happened to travel to an archived cache and then went to the "other place" I would loose ownership or just not be able to keep track of it?

The cache is there until someone grabs the bug from the Navicache cache and moves it to one listed on GC.com.

Locals could always mount a bug rescue mission and move them to the GC.com universe.

Edit: Had to add a ditto on cachew nut's post.

Edited by Renegade Knight
But I went to their site and searched and it appears that no one has adopted the one with the TB so shouldn't it still be part of the verdict to make sure all TB's are reclaimed even if their owners are clear across the country?

If the cache isn't archived there really isn't a problem beyond the fact that the Cache is out side of the GC.com listings. Who ownes the cache isn't the real issue. The TB being in a Navicache only cache is.

After reading most of the postings in the thread Trial By Geocaching Jury. This whole issue could have been avoided if upinyachit could have conducted him self in a more becoming maner.

His name leads me and I assume others also to believe that he is childish, as does archiving all his caches because he was mad ,and then coming to this forum and trying to play us (forum members) against the Mods. Maybe this experience will have taught him something. This was not meant to be an attack on upinyachit. Just my thoughts. So I hope I didn't get my self in trouble. :):)

edited to fix spelling :):lol:

Edited by BAF

6: If Duane does not live up to this he is permanately banned from this site and all of the caches currently owned by him are archived.

#6 basicly says that #5 is NOT voluntary.

Personally, I'm against 6, and 5 should be a decision he makes for his own reasons. I don't care if he posts here or not. What I do care about is his posts meeting (and exceeding) the guidelines. As long as anyone can play well with others I'm all for them playing in the sandbox. If he (or anyone else) repeatedly can't follow the guideline TPTB are more than capable of making #5 happen on an involuntary basis.

But I am against the threat of banning a member based on mob rule.

------------

JMBella: No one is holding a gun to your head and making you read these threads.

Edited by bons
7aa9741c-4000-41c7-9867-b3bf32b22690.jpg

The person below me smells like rotten pickles in sour milk.

Mmmmmmmm rotten pickles and sour milk, got any bad eggs to use as a chaser?

I don't normally lock my own threads, I like to let them die a natural death. But in this case I think I will let this go til Monday and lock it then, as long as an admin does not have to lock it before that time.

JMBella: No one is holding a gun to your head and making you read these threads.

You're just upset because you smell like rotten pickles in sour milk. Now go take a shower but be careful you might catch a sense of humor if you don't dry off enough. :lol:

:):)

Someone PM me if the TPBM derailment gets rolling on this thread. I love fun threads. Otherwise the rest of this crap isn't worth my time.

Sn :):lol: gans

Oh yea, TPBM can't wait until I post something about shaving a Bigfoot.

Edited by Snoogans

6: If Duane does not live up to this he is permanately banned from this site and all of the caches currently owned by him are archived.

#6 basicly says that #5 is NOT voluntary.

Personally, I'm against 6, and 5 should be a decision he makes for his own reasons. I don't care if he posts here or not. What I do care about is his posts meeting (and exceeding) the guidelines. As long as anyone can play well with others I'm all for them playing in the sandbox. If he (or anyone else) repeatedly can't follow the guideline TPTB are more than capable of making #5 happen on an involuntary basis.

But I am against the threat of banning a member based on mob rule.

------------

Good points. But this was not based on mob rule, I alone came up with these. The 'mob' in the other thread was already getting the rope ready to string him up.

Like I said above- 5 is to give Duane a period to cool off and show that he can modify his behavior (this time period can be shortened). 6 provides for the ultimate penalty if he cannot do so, there should in the end be some finality to these problems.

You're just upset because you smell like rotten pickles in sour milk. Now go take a shower but be careful you might catch a sense of humor if you don't dry off enough. :lol:

Actually I smell like Dr. Bronners

A fire, a mist, a planet, a crystal & a cell; a jellyfish, a dinosaur, caves where cavemen dwell! Then, a sense for work-love-song-art-law-play-beauty, a face turned up from the sod! All-One-God-Faith!

Edited by bons

Actually I smell like Dr. Bronners

A fire, a mist, a planet, a crystal & a cell; a jellyfish, a dinosaur, caves where cavemen dwell! Then, a sense for work-love-song-art-law-play-beauty, a face turned up from the sod! All-One-God-Faith!

ENJOY THE CREAMY EMOLLIENT LATHER

And on that note, I'm going to bed. Lots of CITO to do tomorrow.

One thing that Duane needs to learn in life, is that all actions have consequences, good or bad, depending on the action. So far the majority of the actions he's taken has brought grief upon his self and in some ways to the rest of us.

It's because of people like Duane that want to push the envelope that rules are created. Those rules effect all of us, even though we didn't do anything wrong. People who don't know how to get along with others will eventually be banned. Unfortunately those of us left will have to live with the aftermath.

If I were TPTB and Duane was sitting in my forum electric chair...I would pull the switch.

El Diablo

One thing that Duane needs to learn in life, is that all actions have consequences, good or bad, depending on the action. So far the majority of the actions he's taken has brought grief upon his self and in some ways to the rest of us.

It's because of people like Duane that want to push the envelope that rules are created. Those rules effect all of us, even though we didn't do anything wrong.

You know, Mr. Devil, I agree with most of what you said. I can't agree with it all because I don't have the full history, and I really don't want to go back and sort through all those past threads. But even the short exposure I've had has left a bad impression.

Doing something in a fit of rage or during a temper tantrum does have consequences. Just like saying something ugly and hurtful to one's spouse during a heated argument. We need to watch what we say and do when we are angry, because it can't be taken back. Impulse control usually comes with maturity.

And the point you made about the instituting of rules. Yep...most people are self governing, I think/hope. But then some folks want to test the limits and well....here we are.

I would go a step further. Since everyone has a problem paying thry paypal, lets refund his membership thru paypal and just ban him from the site. Let him go to teh navi site and join the 15 or 20 people they have. He has been told what he needs to do to correct the situation and he is refusing to do so. Membership is optional and failure to obide by the rules should disqualify you. Starting one thread on a discussion is understandable if you are trying to figure out what happened or to see if it was fair. but this has gone WAY beyond that. Nothing personal, Just my opinion.

Myself and one other local cacher have offered to adopt the caches he has remaining in New York.

In fact I emailed the appropriate channels months ago. Of course it went through on Navicache right away, as Navicache is based out of the town we live in, so there wasn't any doubt this was legit. That has nothing at all to do with the listings on Geocaching.com. Being totally reasonable, very few people will ever see the listings on Navicache.

When I asked Keystone about the caches in question I was told I needed to email again about the adoptions. Note: Keystone is not the local approver for here, just a nice guy. :lol: Around this same time I was going on vacation, Duane emailed me he was archiving the caches for a while. I figured, fine I'll just ask about adoption when they are unarchived. Mistake I guess. Meanwhile, four caches sit idle. They are fun, well thought out caches. Pity to lose them.

Seems silly to have to discuss this in public. Who knew four caches could cause such a big disturbance. Could a Geocache approver, or other Groundspeak employee please explain why they can't be unarchived and adopted? Thanks!

During one of Duane's many other temper tantrums, he threatened to archive all his caches. TPTB here told him that as the cache owner, he had that choice, but under the circumstances, and for the reasons he was doing it, if he DID archive all his caches, they would not be unarchived. That note to him has been posted at least once or twice by Hydee in various threads. He went and archived him anyway. He is now claiming he didn't read the note until after he had archived them all, but, from what we've seen here, I'd bet money he saw it and just didn't care at the time. He seems to feel that he's entitled to his way, no matter what.

I haven't personally done his NY caches, but I know people who have, and they do seem to be decent hides. Too bad. Like Devil-boy said, everything you do in life has consequences. If you can't deal with them, you shouldn't cause them.

Edited by Mopar