Virgin Etiquette

Reading the issues around logging TBs reminded me of a related timing issue associated with virgin caches.

If you visit the cache after it has lost its virginity and log it before the 'virgin breaker' the wrong person can receive credit. As a courtesy the second person should wait until the virgin defiler has successfully logged their achievement.

Any views.

Is this a male thing?

Peter

It would be nice.

However, for people who care about numbers, last time I asked, anyone logging the find on the first day it's logged gets a "virgin find" on GUK stats pages.

(And I'm not too sure but I think if you FTF a Members' only cache, it doesn't get onto GUK virign stats - I'm not 100% on this).

It might be different now.

We headed to try a FTF a few months ago and we were second to find ... it transpired the FTF'rs where leaving the car park as we arrived ... however courtesy of a Blackberry we logged it first :) hehe

However in our log we did say we where second to find and also ref'd their was other FTF's giving someone else the public FTF recognition - then to make it more fun On the web page there was even a Third to find who posted before the FTF'rs :lol:

Its all in the fun isn't it ??? Maybe we can make too many rules sometimes ???

example log ...

January 2 by Ann_and_Brian (504 found)

Hurray - First Finders

We were heading past so thought we had better look in here as we thought we had a chance of being FF's.

TNLN. From the times, we think we must have seen S&G Davison arrive in the car park as we were leaving.

Happy New Year everyone,

Thank you Parcan,

Ann and Brian

January 2 by The Blanks Bandits (9 found)

Found this cache at eleven thirty this morning to find that we were the third people there that day!We found it with no trouble at all. We left toy tigger and snowman and took Olay voucher and whopee cushion. Thanks to Parcan, a great cache! The Blanks Bandits.

January 2 by S&G.Davison (170 found)

Hoped to be first but some one else had beaten us and its only 11 am. But G had a blackberry and we logged it stood it the car park :-) Took ruler left 5 GBP voucher for Olay Lotion. - Perfect for the face after a hard days caching in the UK winter.

FWIW by 5 pm that day there was 2 more logs ...

Normally if 2nd we would try and wait for the FTF to log it on GC.com but have run into probs doing this when the FTF doesnt log it that day and we have picked up a TB - especially if we then dropped the TB somewhere else before going home. So starting to adopt policy of log it but give FTF the credit in the log.

G:UK has a statistics page which logs the amount of FTF's. Whether you are a numbers cruncher or not you should let the FTF person log first, just in case the statistics of it all are one of the reasons he/she does the sport. Logging it before them takes the credit away from them.

So have a little bit of passion and let them get a chance to log it first.

Other stats that you can find on G:UK are things like the main days of the week that people go out. Whether someone has logged their own cache. Also whether someone logs the same cache twice. I have seen this done and it was to record the same visit :lol:

Haggis Hunter

It doesn't matter who logs it first as the first finder states that they were "first again :) " in their log so you always know. :)

Since caches were normally quite a drive from me and I didn't always log finds the evening I got home I was often FTF a cache but STL a cache !

In terms of GUK :-

1) Everyone finding a cache on the first day takes credit.

2) Foreign & member only caches are not included in the figures. Thus if the Alchemy series goes MO again then my FTF total will go down from 132 to 117 overnight!! :):)

Not that I am a numbers man!! :lol:

Cheers!

Seasider

The only problem with the FTF stats is Phantom cachers :lol:! I'm credited with a FTF on a cache, when in fact I was beaten to the cache by several days by a Phantom cacher. As there was no online logs, I thought I was the FTF on it, until I opened the log book, at least it didn't take the enjoyment out of finding what is a brilliant cache! No advertising but a clue for it is "Train Drivers Waving":)!

Dave

Other stats that you can find on G:UK are things like...... Whether someone has logged their own cache.

I've only seen someone log a FTF on their *own* cache once..... but to be fair on them, it appears to be a genuine mistake (a find log, rather than an initial note) as they have never done it before, or after. Cream Tea Cache

It was quite funny to see though... must have been really difficult to find your own cache (unless you suffered from Altzheimers I guess - that would up the difficulty somewhat!).

I check the "Caches near me" page on GC.com nearly every day, just incase someone has logged a new cache in my area. This way I was able to scoot out within a couple days of someone hiding two caches and log FTF before I got the weekly new caches notify email :D

:P