Adding Updated Maps Soon

Jeremy

***BUMP*** Here is a post of mine from another thread

"I have been using "Map it" for some time now. I'm from Canada, I thought it was always gray... I was messing around with it and Zoomed Waaaaaaay out and thats when I noticed that south of the border there was a real map under the caches ... To see what I mean find a cache in the states near the border and zoom out... Will we get real maps eventually up here?

I would sure use the feature a heck of a lot more"

Reading the posts from this thread, it would seem that other countries have maps in " Map It" But Canada doesn't... Whats the Scoop?

Thanx

I have missed the topic when started in April, now I have checked the demo, zoomed it on Central Europe and was really surprised: the names apparently do not come from a single source: you can see German names of Czech towns, Hungarian names of Slovak ones (last time used during WWII) and at the same time the few towns in CZ and former East Germany renamed by the communist regimes (Karl Marx Stadt, Gottwaldov).

Not only are these names politically incorrect, more importantly they don't appear on any current maps and road signs, so a visiting cacher equipped with this map printout would most probably get lost.

Please let us know when there is any update, I am sure the local cachers can provide some feedback.

The map provider was hesitating releasing the maps since there are some politically incorrect names for certain countries.

umm... what is a politically incorrect name for a country??

They are calling Canada, CaZuuks aren't they??

The names of the cities of Catalunya (Spain) are the names that chose the old fascist regim of Franco when he banned our own language about 60 years ago. These names are obsolete.

Wow, I can see my house from here!

Ok, actually, I can't. In fact, my suburb isn't even listed (though, strangely, the name of the local TV transmitter up in the hills is), and there's no street detail. However, it's an awful lot better than what I get at the moment - a detail level that could be obtained by scanning a world atlas - it tells me what city the cache is in, just in case I missed that :o.

I don't suppose you'd integrate our extremely detailed NZ Topographic maps if I bought a set and sent it to you, would you? :blink:

Is anything going to happen about this?

If it's any use to you, free vmap0 topographical data for the entire planet at 1:1M scale is available for free - I'm using it for a project of my own at the moment, and it seems to be pretty good.

Anyway, it'd be really (really, really) good to have any sort of map data besides the vaguest possible outline of the landforms around here.

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but there it is....

I am not good at making my own maps,.....what is the easiest way to make my own maps I would like a map with all the caches info/location and at least the major highways....I have mapsource and microsoft street and trips is there a way to get something done with that?????

the most I've been able to do is to transfer all waypoints from a pocket quiery on mapsource,.....but it doesn't give me the info for cache??

Just wondering, anyone thought about providing this data ourselves as a community? I mean we're a bunch of people driving around with GPS units, surely it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with a reasonable agregate of information. I know I've created street maps of my local region, and have found some freely available ones that other people have created. Obviously data integrity is an issue, (I mean there is nothing to stop me creating an 'Ibycus St" if I feel like it...) But it seems like there is a need for something like this.

Yeah... it's been, what, a year now? How come they're not doing their job? Do you have any course of retribution for them apparently being a year late in providing the service you're paying them for? I find it pretty ironic that they've got the GC.com logo on their site considering (as far as I can tell) they're screwing you guys over.

Yeah... it's been, what, a year now?  How come they're not doing their job?  Do you have any course of retribution for them apparently being a year late in providing the service you're paying them for?  I find it pretty ironic that they've got the GC.com logo on their site considering (as far as I can tell) they're screwing you guys over.

Not to mention those Premium Members outside U.S. who subscribed or renewed because they were told there would be maps of their home country :unsure:

We have received an update of the map software, but the maps themselves have not been completed by their partners yet.

We do have the worldwide maps but they did not tell us that they were not integrated with the US maps. So basically we'll have to toggle back and forth between the US and world maps based on your selection. We'll probably create an interim solution where you can choose between the two basemaps. But we can't get total integration until they are done implementing the combined base map.

The maps were lost in transit and we recovered them late last week. They're on 3 DVDs! We'll be copying them over and testing them this week.

It's hard to be upset with the company since there is a long chain of providers of these maps. Unlike google we tend to be at the bottom of the food chain.

The maps were lost in transit and we recovered them late last week. They're on 3 DVDs! We'll be copying them over and testing them this week.

It's hard to be upset with the company since there is a long chain of providers of these maps. Unlike google we tend to be at the bottom of the food chain.

Speaking of Google, they've released the APIs so you can make your own maps without having to resort to hacks.

Speaking of Google, they've released the APIs so you can make your own maps without having to resort to hacks.

That's great, but they limit the viewings to 50,000/day which won't meet our needs.

BTW, installed and tested the maps yesterday. Unfortunately they just look like the old maps so we have to report some bugs to our provider.

If you expect to get more than 50,000 page views per day, you must contact us to get permission to use the API. During this "pilot" period, Google Maps may not be able to accommodate very large web sites.

Sounds like they might be open to it though... Ya never know....

Again, once they are out of beta I will add them as a link. At that time I'll consider integrating them as a feature of the web site. Until then they're just a fun tool people are using to show map related stuff.

IMO, it seems that an application developer could use the GPX file and, through xsl, display a cache map locally with the google map API.

IMO, it seems that an application developer could use the GPX file and, through xsl, display a cache map locally with the google map API.

that sorta is what I am doing.... except I use the tiger server, I am thinking of using google now...

i gpsbabel my pq and view it using the web maps in my own customized interface.

BTW, installed and tested the maps yesterday. Unfortunately they just look like the old maps so we have to report some bugs to our provider.

So does that mean you won't be putting them up yet, or that they'll need to be fixed later? I have a feeling it's the former... well, back to playing the waiting game I suppose.

Why wait. Download Google Earth. Import the Loc files form GSAK and presto .

Actually, I do, and it's quite useful... but Google Earth is (sadly) not designed for Geocaching, so it omits a lot of important details. (ie. Cache type, found/not found, etc.)

Why wait. Download Google Earth. Import the Loc files form GSAK and presto .

Actually, I do, and it's quite useful... but Google Earth is (sadly) not designed for Geocaching, so it omits a lot of important details. (ie. Cache type, found/not found, etc.)

Use the filter on GSAK to get rid of your found caches and then when using the export the .loc file set it to give the cache type/dif/ter in the name of the point.

Still no decent usage for Japan. Google Earth and these maps are both perdy much useless. Still stuck on using a mapset that uses the Tokyo Geodetic Coordinate system. Ick.

NomadVW

Can you use the Tokyo Geodetic Coordinate maps as overlays into Google Earth?

I use ExpertGPS and GPS Trackmaker for that. I use the GPS trackmaker to draw out my new maps to sendmap to the Garmin. But ExpertGPS is a little lighter load to do simple waypoint manipulation. I would love to see either of these applications add a Tokyo Geodetic option for my map calibration.

VW

Edited to say: I use known waypoints on the maps I have now to do calibration, and that works fine, always better to use the same coords the online site is using. An example of where I'm at and my maps is:

http://www.nomadvw.org/mapaboveme.jpg

This uses the MapionBB web site for Japan. It's all in Japanese, but most of us don't need road names anyway.

Edited by NomadVW