Boy I hate asking all these questions...but...

Skippy2

I hate to be a constant questioner here, but with each "whine" I learn something more. You folks have been very gracious about answering my questions in the past and I thank you for that.

My question today is this. (after a brief setup)

1. I have a Magellan Platinum (firmware v4.02)64MB SD card.

2. I have MapSend Streets and Destinations USA (v4.00f)

3. I know how to select a region from Streets and Destinations and upload it to the SD card in the MeriPlat.

4. HERE'S THE QUESTION: Can I upload the waypoints I created in region that I created in Streets and Destinations and transfer/upload them into the Plat as well?

I want to to use this method as a "poor man's" auto-routing. I think I've seen questions and answers about this, on this forum, but doing a search produces several hundred hits without the exact question and answer.

Just think, someday I'll have all the answers and won't be bothering anyone here anymore. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

btw, I have RTFM (MapSend CD) and I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks,

Skippy2

Looking at the MapSend Topo; I have a menu called Waypoints that allows me to upload waypoints and routes to the GPS.

Do you have the same menu option? If so you should be able to do the same thing.

You also might want to try using the Help on MapSend S&D and see if that has some step-by-step instructions on a search string of "upload waypoints".

Cheers!

TL

Skippy2 - I have the same setup as you. I download my regions(from Mapsend) into the GPS, then I download the waypoint files from here(GC.com) into QuakeMap. I then use QuakeMap to transfer them to the GPS.

What I have not figured out (I haven't even tried yet) is how to delete whole blocks of waypoints from the GPS - rather then one-by-one. I know there is way - I just haven't had the time to figure it out yet.

--------------------------------------------------

If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don't stop and think of what other words have "under"; in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness.

I went to http://www.quakemap.com and saw that the program requires .NET Framework Windows component.

Naturally, it was not on my computer and I didn't download it the required .NET thing.

The reason is, that I just moved to Windows XP and I am so completely in over my head with the whole thing. Plus, I read the other day that the Microsoft udate/fix for Win XP caused everything to slow waaaaaaaaaaaay down. I don't need this hassle.

I am rapidly losing my enthusiasm for geocaching. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. because in order to do it correctly, I have to have so many programs and program software requirements installed on my computer, as well as on my GPSr that I have fallen behind in the learning curve.

This might be an advantage though, for someone just getting into the game. If I am unable to solve all of these GPSr problems as they come up, I may just put the MeriPlat on the Garage Sale forum here.

Maybe I'm just at the bottom of my biorhythms and things will be better next week. <very large grin>

Sigh.

REgards,

Skippy2

quote:
Originally posted by Skippy2:

I went to http://www.quakemap.com and saw that the program requires .NET Framework Windows component.

Naturally, it was not on my computer and I didn't download it the required .NET thing.

The reason is, that I just moved to Windows XP and I am so completely in over my head with the whole thing. Plus, I read the other day that the Microsoft udate/fix for Win XP caused everything to slow waaaaaaaaaaaay down. I don't need this hassle.

I am rapidly losing my enthusiasm for geocaching. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. because in order to do it correctly, I have to have so many programs and program software requirements installed on my computer, as well as on my GPSr that I have fallen behind in the learning curve.

This might be an advantage though, for someone just getting into the game. If I am unable to solve all of these GPSr problems as they come up, I may just put the MeriPlat on the Garage Sale forum here.

Maybe I'm just at the bottom of my biorhythms and things will be better next week. <very large grin>

Sigh.

REgards,

Skippy2

Not to flame ya, I really can relate to the tekkie overload with all the programs one can download, upload into the GPS, etc, and that's why I keep it simple. No TOPO, just the basic map that the GPS came with, and I manually enter each cache coordinate one at a time.

Works great for me. Why make it overly difficult?

TBH - I believe that if you are running XP - and you have done the updates then you are good to go.

BTW - Do the updates.... it will NOT slow your system down (I am ussuming that you have a relatively recent P3/4).

Also - the map that come as a default in your GPS will not have ANYWHERE near the detail that you might need. You will find that even major streets are missing a lot of the time.

Take the whole hobby one step at a time. When I first started (this last Jan.) I only used the default maps in my GPS and just ran the print-outs of the cache pages. Now (122 finds later) I run QuakeMap as well as the Mapsend Topo/Streets. Don't loose heart - it is all worth it.