Black Hills Cachers

Ted's Trekkers

I think before any events are planned we need to see if anyone is even interested in organizing a club. I am not sure if there is enough interest - or if with busy lives everyone would rather stay more independent.

I disagree. A simple event is the best way to find out who is interested.

You see, late last year a few Eastern Iowa geocachers started talking about a club. It was even brought up on our Yahoo group but there didnt seem to be much interest outside of the few people mentioning it.

Around that time, another cacher held a "meet at the coffee house and talk about geocaching" event. The event was well attended so we mentioned that we were thinking about starting a club and the response was very positive.

The Eastern Iowa Geocachers Association (EIGA) now has 40 people registered for our forums. Many of the locals that I dont see posting here are frequent posters in our forums. And our events often have more "out of towners" than "locals"

Last weekend there were four events in our area (3 CITO and 1 Post-CITO). Each event was well attended. Two of the events had cachers from over 100 miles away and there is one guy who attended all three CITO events.

So.....Have an event and see who shows up. If there isnt interest in a club, at least you had some fun and met some other cachers :huh:

Edited by WindChill
I think before any events are planned we need to see if anyone is even interested in organizing a club. I am not sure if there is enough interest - or if with busy lives everyone would rather stay more independent.

Before there was such a thing as an event cache, I created a cache in a park in Austin. The description said "I'll be at this spot at 5:00 pm on Friday with two cases of good beer on ice". Amazingly enough, about a dozen people showed up, GPS in hand.

Have you ever watched "Field of Dreams"? :D

-E

Edited by TresOkies++

I would be very interested in meeting some of the people around here that like caching as much as me. YEA! B) The thought actually crossed my mind to try to organize something by myself... but if your thinking about it too, maybe we could get together and make it a group effort.

For what it is worth, I am considering taking a trip to the Black Hills, possibly over Labor Day weekend. I would certainly attend an event if there happened to be one when I was there. That is assuming you wouldn't mind a visit from a Nebraska gal!

Regardless, like others said, if you plan something, people will come. Just plan a potluck with a few caches placed for the event and ask for RSVPs. Then expect more than those who RSVP'd.

I would love to help get an event together. Need to do a bit of research first.

I had sent Geocaching.com an email asking them if they could give me some ideas on how to start a organization for the Black Hills, or if they could give me the name of a group in another state to contact for ideas, but they never replied to my email. So yes forming a Black Hills Group and having an event would be fun. Count me in.

From what I can tell, there can be as much or as little organization as you want. The way I've seen other groups do it, is this...

Post a new geocache with the coordinates of a local eating establishment. The type of cache is an "Event" cache. Post the date created as the date of the event. (some future date)

Let people post a note on the cache page with their intentions to attend. That will give you an idea of how many to expect. Everyone buys their own dinner or drinks. You could also use some local campground or picnic spot and have everyone bring their lunch/dinner.

After everyone attends, you can log your "find". Usually you end up caching on the way to or from the event. You can even have some new caches set out and hand out the coordinates to those attending. Post the new caches on Geocaching.com after the event.

Plenty more ideas.

Mostly it's just a gathering of folks with a similar interest.

Perseid88

We will be in the Black Hills area in two weeks and would like to do some caching in that area. I see there is quite a few close by the area. We will be driving a smaller car so we would like to get some information. We are wondering what are some of the more accessable caches in the area that we would be able to get to with not problem in a smaller car? We are looking forward to our first trip to the Black Hills area and caching in the area.

Hi everyone, my name is silvrhawk. I live in Keystone,SD. I am now the owner of the group called BLACK HILLS GEOCACHERS. We have meetings everyother month now. We had our 1st get together in Sept06 and another in Nov 06. Our next one will be Jan 20th. Please check the website at htt://groups.yahoo.com/group/black_hills_geocaching

Everyone is welcome and nobody has to be a member. I will also post a notice on the geocaching.com site. Feel free to email me at silvrhawk_@hotmail.com for more information. Happy caching