Taking A Parting Shot

Mopar

I have been a GC member for about a year now, its a great way to get out and see the countryside, buy cool gadgets, and keep the kids busy. I love the sport aspect of it, and sometimes surf the message boards to check out cool pics of vehicles stuck, or cache mobiles, and also to get ideas about hides and hunts.

My problem is.....The message boards have turned into nothing more than an internet chat room, use your MSN messenger to have lengthy conversations! Quit the pissing matches, if you don't like GC go somewhere else. There are plenty more cache sites out there, maybe start your own if you don't like what GC is doing.

I would hate to see these people that do nothing more than complain and stir the pot destroy this hobby. People that place hides without permission, or put them in retarded locations are only giving the sport a bad name. This is why I don't mind virtual caches, they usually lead you to a location of interest and of historical value. I learn from them, and so do my kids.

Lets all grow up here, kiss and make up.....move along to another place if you have to......don't destroy it for everyone else!!

Thats my two and a half cents worth. End of discussion

In response to SaxMan's opinion -- and I respect his right to hold it and the sincerity in which it's held -- I must disagree. I think it's easiest if we all play by the same rules -- moderators and community members. Because I have the "power" to open any closed thread, I don't think it's fair for me to re-open threads closed by the topic originator, except in very rare cases where something needs to be said to correct a factual error, edit a post that violates the rules, or take some other moderator type action. I shouldn't reopen it simply to get the last word in, or to allow my friends to do so.

Otherwise, how can we set an example for others to follow? If I can reopen a topic and say "nyah nyah, everyone disagreed with you" then what's to stop anyone else from reopening their own thread, or taking parting shots?

Why doesn't *everyone* please just do what the moderators try to do (although we are not perfect). Close your topic with a brief statement that doesn't further the argument, but simply says that you are closing it because the original question was answered or it has strayed off-topic or the discussion seems to have run its course. And THEN... let it take a rest. Don't reopen it. Revisit the issue the next time the subject arises, which is usually just a week or two later anyways. Then, you might approach it with a slightly different perspective, if you took the time to read and learn from the prior topic. We learn best from those who hold different viewpoints.

Update: Apparently my advice was poorly timed. The "Trial by Jury" topic has been closed. I didn't close it. Whoever did close it, they didn't leave a note to identify themselves. I could ask a forum admin to look it up, if I cared more.

Anyhoo, let's not turn *this* topic into a continuation of the one which is now closed. This topic is limited to discussing the closing and reopening of forum threads. If you wish to talk about the particular example that triggered this thread, please go to the "Verdict" topic started by Corps of Discovery. Thank you.

I am curious, if you didn't close it and UP didn't close it who else can? And don't they have to leave a note or something?

That's my point in the topic I linked to. Moderators should always leave a note saying why. It doesn't need to be verbose. I would say that Upinyac... closed it and didn't leave a note since most of the moderators do follow the advice I gave in my other thread.

Just as I was composing a reply to this thread, the OP locked it. What is with that?

This is what my response was:

Personally, I was confused by RK's question--mainly because I don't know the context in which it was in the other therad. 

In my mind, "credentials" and "citizen" is two different things.

"Geocaching credentials" would mean the elements of what gives someone the authority to proclaim he is a geocacher.  Not just talking the talk, but walking the walk.

A "good geocaching citizen" would mean something completely different.  It would be a geocacher who is helpful and looks out for others and the hobby.  Someone like COA describes is a perfect example.

Not trying to put words in his mouth, but Harrolds's statement "Someone that has shown an ability to be a member of something without trying to force it to bend to his will." sounds to me like someone who can get along with the group and not try to change the group to fit their definition.  Actually, if that is what he is trying to say, then I think that would work for being a good citizen.  It's something that I've felt as newbies come in and seem to try to change how things have been done.  (Okay, I'm guilty, but I was learning.  At least I wasn't obstinate about it even after it was explained why things are the way they are.)

Why would someone be censured for giving his opinion?

Maybe, I'm just not seeing it.

I really wish people wouldn't do that!

I don't understand why anyone has the authority to lock and unlock their own threads anyway. This is the first forum on the internet I have ever seen giving members that feature.

You have the ability so that if the question is answered or the thread has been derailed beyond recovery you can put it out of it's misery.

That you can unarchve a thread so to speak is just funny given the topic that brought up this question.

It's anti-American, fer Gods sake. Smacks of Commonism, to me, maybe even a totalization society. Freedom of speech is being impailled. Someone suggested "ban"; I think that's too mild. Burned at the stake is a more fitting penalope. :P

Mopar,

Yep I did the same thing just the other day. I did so for a few reasons one it was ready to get out of hand, it was the same stuff being rehashed and three it got personal.

However I learned a lot about this forum and what I will keep quiet cuz I am sure to get flamed.

Ken

Well, he tried to argue with Fizzymagic about math. Not being a math genius, I learned long ago to shut up and just listen when Fizzy talks about math or statistics.

Before arguing with Fizzymagic about math, I'd sooner do the following:

-- Try to persuade Coyote Red to hide a lamp post micro at Wal-Mart.

-- Convince TEAM 360 to start logging his finds.

-- Demonstrate to TeamGPSaxaphone why it would be healthy to take a six-month break from forum posting.

-- Ask GeoHo to turn in all her firearms at the next gun collection drive.

Before arguing with Fizzymagic about math, I'd sooner do the following:

-- Try to persuade Coyote Red to hide a lamp post micro at Wal-Mart.

-- Convince TEAM 360 to start logging his finds.

-- Demonstrate to TeamGPSaxaphone why it would be healthy to take a six-month break from forum posting.

-- Ask GeoHo to turn in all her firearms at the next gun collection drive.

Hee hee. My, I guess I do have a reputation! I confess that when I see incorrect math posted in a newbies forum, it gets my goat. Like I said in that thread, math tends not to be a matter of opinion.

Maybe we should require people opining about geodesy to solve this little problem first.

:huh::huh::lol::lol:

I don't consider that a parting shot. That was a civil response to the last post you made, and since the thread was going nowhere I closed it.

I've had a long trawl back through your posts Mopar. It seems you seek confrontation in just about every thread you enter. In some cases you are downright abusive. What's the point?

I'm sorry, I resent being mentioned within this thread. There was no parting shot taken.

It just annoys you that the discussion is closed as far as I am concerned.

I don't consider that a parting shot. That was a civil response to the last post you made, and since the thread was going nowhere I closed it.

I've had a long trawl back through your posts Mopar. It seems you seek confrontation in just about every thread you enter. In some cases you are downright abusive. What's the point?

I'm sorry, I resent being mentioned within this thread. There was no parting shot taken.

It just annoys you that the discussion is closed as far as I am concerned.

Doesn't annoy me at all!

Curiosity really is getting the better of you.

With all due respect, I cannot discuss specifics here.

This is out of repect and consideration for the members of my community with whom I am discussing this (in a closed forum, before you go looking). It is also out of respect for the UK Admins who I am not, under no circumstances, going to undermine in public.

It is also due to the fact that none of it has anything whatsoever to do with you.

Also, one of my friends from the Irish forums tested the water on one of these "general" forums by seeking advice about one specific issue we are hoping to address. The thread descended into nonsensical drivel before producing one, single authoritative answer.

Which is why all of this will not be discussed in public.

You're the one who brought it up in public. You have 100 caches a year in the entire country and you posted that you feel you need 2 local approvers to handle it. It's not about the number of caches. It's not about the performance of the current reviewers. It's not about knowing local laws and regs.

Nope it's none of those; it's a secret.

Everyone in the country is discussing this horrid affair in a secret forum, and it's so important we had to post here. But we can't tell you, because, well, it's a secret.

You asked for the reviewers and you got an answer.

You asked the worldwide community, and it sounds like you got the same answer.

You asked the people who run the website and you got the same answer.

Of course, maybe if you let the world in on your secret, you would get an answer you liked.

Or not.

Edited by Mopar
Hey Bronco Nut when are you coming North and doing some camping. I think we could have a good discussion about caches and leave the rest of them in the dust.

I'll be camping and hiding a few different ones next month so come North and we will go to the hills with the kids.

Tahosa: Mom will be at Ranger Lakes Campground over Cameron Pass Tue-Thur or so. If you want to drive up and meet her she might still get an email before she leaves tomorrow morning. Or they will likely be around in the evenings. PM me if you want her cell number. :anibad: