Cache Maintenance Icon

Rebel

I periodically perform maintenance on my caches. On average every three months, or after a Not Found or two. When I do that, I post a note on the cache page to let folks know that the cache is good to go, or of any problems with the cache. I suggest that a new category of log be available to cache owners only.

A "cache maintence" log with a little wrench to indicate that maintenance has been performed.

Nothing Earth shaking, just a little enhancement to the game, imho.

I periodically perform maintenance on my caches. On average every three months, or after a Not Found or two. When I do that, I post a note on the cache page to let folks know that the cache is good to go, or of any problems with the cache. I suggest that a new category of log be available to cache owners only.

A "cache maintence" log with a little wrench to indicate that maintenance has been performed.

Yeah, that's already been suggested a few times.

Thanks for the "Markwell." I did a quick search but came up with nada.

Still, it would be a cool feature. And so . . .

Geez Louise.....people never cease to amaze me. :lol: Being a newbie, I had no idea it's ever been discussed before.

Thanks for bringing it up, Rebel. I think it's a fantastic idea. Most people just leave a note in the logs about maintenance, but if this idea wasn't too hard on the admin to perform, it sounds like a pretty cool added feature.

Tis true, but one that said, "checked on cache and all is well" is less than helpful and could have pushed a useful log off the PQ. That's my only point.

I'd prefer the "Needs Maintenence" flag and the owner log that clears it not be included in the PQ. That would give you the best of both worlds and even the possibility of excluding caches that need attention.

Heck, an even better scenario would be a good samaritan looking for caches with the flag and going around fixing them all.

But this is all academic as gc.com moves legendarily slow in implementing change.

Tis true, but one that said, "checked on cache and all is well" is less than helpful and could have pushed a useful log off the PQ. That's my only point.

After a couple/three DNFs a log by the owner that the cache is OK would be very helpful to others. For instance, here's one of my caches that I did maintenance on yesterday. From the logs, I'd say my note was useful.

I see your point about a Needs Maintenance flag, but an email to the owner or a note log should suffice. If the owner doesn't respond, then an email to TPTB should get the ball rolling towards a fix. What you're asking for will require the owner to respond to your concerns. While I do listen to cachers concerning my caches, I'm only required to respond to TPTB. Anything else is just a suggestion.

Yo Rebel,

Are you thinking about one of these

wrench.gif

I did my round of cache maintenance on my hides Wednesday and yesterday. (Prompted by a DNF). and wrote a note on the one that stumped a searcher.

I think a crescent wrench would make a good icon...Now, is that a standard or metric crescent wrench? :lol::lol:

I'd prefer the "Needs Maintenence" flag and the owner log that clears it not be included in the PQ. That would give you the best of both worlds and even the possibility of excluding caches that need attention.

Heck, an even better scenario would be a good samaritan looking for caches with the flag and going around fixing them all.

But this is all academic as gc.com moves legendarily slow in implementing change.

In the vast majority of cases, the owner it not going to feel a need to post a maintenance log, unless their's a good reason for it - an SBA, or numerous DNFs in a row. A maintenance log would add information, not remove it.

Not to be cynical, but you do realize that every non-essential log pushes a potentially helpful log off the 5 log limit in PQs.

Don't get me wrong, I do it. But I weigh it over the 5 log limit.

Just a thought.

I certainly would not mind getting more than the last 5 logs on my PQ's! That would be a nice addition to the PQs.