60cs Vs. 76cs

Hi.

I’m looking to upgrade my GPS and am hoping to benefit from the knowledge base here.

At this time I’m pretty much just looking at two units, the Garmin 60CS and 76CS. From what I’ve been able to piece together so far, the 60CS seems a little more geared for driving and hiking, while the 76CS seems more tailored to driving and boating. The plus for the 60CS is that it has a geocache mode that looks interesting, but does it really work all that well? The nice thing about the 76CS is that it has more memory. The cost difference is not significant to me.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with both of these units? If so, I’d really like to hear your opinions about how these two models compare to each other, which one you prefer, and why.

Thanks,

John

:lol: I own a 60CS and am very happy with it. I looked at 76CS and although I liked the idea that it has more memmory I didn't like the size and feel and look of the 76 at all. Compared to the 60cs the 76cs looked cheaply made and felt more cumbersome to use. It does everything that the 60cs will do except store more maps. My question to Garmin is why not make a 60cs with the same memory capacity as the 76, it is also more ruggedly built with the rubber armor giving it a nice look and feel and the secure thought that if it is dropped or knocked about it can take the abuse. I have loaded four states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana and still have some memory space left. To me it is a perfect unit in a neet little package. :lol:

I used to covet the 76 (or 72) series because they provided tidal predictions and the eTrex series did not.

However, the GPSmap 60C(S) does have tidal predictions (even though most of the Garmin literature doesn't mention this). Anyway, I have a GPSmap 60CS instead of the 76CS simply because it does offer tidal predictions.

:lol: I have loaded four states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana and still have some memory space left. To me it is a perfect unit in a neet little package. :lol:

Which maps do you have loaded? Any idea how much memory each of those states uses? Those are the same ones I'd want on mine - I canceled an order for a 60cs for a 76cs because someone told me I couldn't load enough of Garmin US Topo maps on it.

thanks...hank

My question to Garmin is why not make a 60cs with the same memory capacity as the 76, it is also more ruggedly built with the rubber armor giving it a nice look and feel and the secure thought that if it is dropped or knocked about it can take the abuse.

If they did provide more memory in the 60 series I'd order it rather then the 76C. The only thing I'd miss is that the 76 floats but really that's not much of a concern if the main use is for hiking. :lol:

:lol:  I have loaded four states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana and still have some memory space left. To me it is a perfect unit in a neet little package. :)

Which maps do you have loaded? Any idea how much memory each of those states uses? Those are the same ones I'd want on mine - I canceled an order for a 60cs for a 76cs because someone told me I couldn't load enough of Garmin US Topo maps on it.

thanks...hank

:) I am using Mapsource City Streets and those are the state maps I have loaded on my unit. I think it took all of about 52mb to load up. I have mapsource Topo USA but I don't load any other areas but the area that I am intending on traveling in. So I'm not using a lot of memory with the Topo maps. When I want to load the City Streets up I have a file that I saved my maps to and it deletes the previous set and loads the new set, and vice versa. Just save any new data you created on your Garmin before you load a new set of maps and you will have them again later when you want it.

My question to Garmin is why not make a 60cs with the same memory capacity as the 76, it is also more ruggedly built with the rubber armor giving it a nice look and feel and the secure thought that if it is dropped or knocked about it can take the abuse.

If they did provide more memory in the 60 series I'd order it rather then the 76C. The only thing I'd miss is that the 76 floats but really that's not much of a concern if the main use is for hiking. :)

:) Actually the 60CS floats too and is waterproof to a certian depth and amount of time in the water. Although the 76 floats too, you may not think of it as a concern buy you may be hiking near a river or crossing a bridge or whatever and accidently loose your grip or have it fall out of your pocket and into the water. You never know when and where Murphy will strike. :lol:

If they did provide more memory in the 60 series I'd order it rather then the 76C. The only thing I'd miss is that the 76 floats but really that's not much of a concern if the main use is for hiking. :)

:) Actually the 60CS floats too and is waterproof to a certian depth and amount of time in the water. Although the 76 floats too, you may not think of it as a concern buy you may be hiking near a river or crossing a bridge or whatever and accidently loose your grip or have it fall out of your pocket and into the water. You never know when and where Murphy will strike. :lol:

I didn't see anything mentioned about it floating on Garmin's website. It is waterproof to IPX7 standard as described below (from Garmin's site.)

"Most newer Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 60529 IPX7. IEC 60529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use."

I didn't see anything mentioned about it floating on Garmin's website. It is waterproof to IPX7 standard as described below (from Garmin's site.)

"Most newer Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 60529 IPX7. IEC 60529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use."

:lol: Seems to me that I was misled by the salesman who told me that it was also floatable. I aplogize if I have steared anybody wrong. I went to the Garmin website and looked and couldn't find anywhere it says it floats.:)

:) Seems to me that I was misled by the salesman who told me that it was also floatable. I aplogize if I have steared anybody wrong.  I went to the Garmin website and looked and couldn't find anywhere it says it floats.:)

Actually I can't find anywhere of the 76C or 76CS pages where it says they float either. :lol: It does say this on the pages for the 76, Map76 and Map76S

I recently switched to a 60cs.... a 76cs wasn't even in my thoughts for geocaching. The 60cs is perfectly sized, and loaded with geocaching features. For driving and geocaching I say go with the 60cs. If you are doing offshore boating, consider the 76cs.

I used to covet the 76 (or 72) series because they provided tidal predictions and the eTrex series did not.

However, the GPSmap 60C(S) does have tidal predictions (even though most of the Garmin literature doesn't mention this). Anyway, I have a GPSmap 60CS instead of the 76CS simply because it does offer tidal predictions.

Can you give the menu location/steps to display the tidal predictions on the 60CS?

Can you give the menu location/steps to display the tidal predictions on the 60CS?

If you visit the software download page for the Garmin GPSMap 162 or 168, you'll see a link on the right side for "Download Recommended MapSource US Tides Software" (see download page here). As long as you have MapSource installed, you can download this software and it will get added to your list of available products in MapSource as "GPSMAP 162/168 Tide Points".

The next step is to download the Tide Points. This is just like any other map download from MapSource. Select the map sets and maps you want, including the Tide Points you want, and proceed with the download.

Once you have done this, your "Find" page will have an option for "Marine". Select it and you will see an icon for "Tide Station" in there. It works great on the 60CS; I'm not sure why they only present it for the 162 and 168.

On the subject of floating or not. Unless you will be using it for boating, I would tend to believe you would want it to sink more than anything else. The reason being is that I had a friend who had a Floating Meridian Color and was kayaking with it.

His Kayak overturned and he quickly found out his pockets weren't sealed properly as his GPS unit floated down river. He never did find it because of the dull grey color of the meridian in contrast to the dull grey rocks is was floating by.

Point being, if you are in a location where there is current but fairly shallow, like most places people hike around, then your best bet is one that will sink the few feet so that you can grab it, rather than one that will float a mile down river and disappear for ever. Now if you are boating on oceans or lakes, you probably can't just dive down and retrieve a sunken gps unit, and at those depths it would just be useless, so you will want a floating one.

Just my 2 cents.

Having owned a 76s and handled a 60cs in the store, I guess I am the odd-ball that prefers the form of the 76 series over the 60cs... to each his own :D

Me too - I don't think the 60 series can rotate the screen to landscape, and that's something I really like. Size isn't different enough to make a difference for me and I think the additional memory should be good.

Having owned a 76s and handled a 60cs in the store, I guess I am the odd-ball that prefers the form of the 76 series over the 60cs... to each his own  :D

Me too - I don't think the 60 series can rotate the screen to landscape, and that's something I really like. Size isn't different enough to make a difference for me and I think the additional memory should be good.

From playing with the 76cs I don't think the screen can rotate to landscape either, if I recall correctly. Just my $0.02 worth. :(

The small difference between the 76S and 76CS in resolution(160x240 vs 180x240), makes a huge difference in the quality of the Tide Charts. When I have both the 60C and 76S on Tide charts, the 76S beats the 60C by far. I wished the Manufacturer had produced 180x240 color displays, thats what we really needed for the 76 color series. Too bad there is just this one display used in cell phones and the 60C/CS.

Someone brought up the question here that the 76CS might have more available data box info available in the boxes. The 60cs I have doesn't let me put some of the verital data from the trip computer in the data boxes on the trip computer page as the 76S does. Also in only the altimeter page is some of the data available. So I can't have some info showing as there as only two data boxes in the altimeter page.

I miss the 76S's use of this info.

But the 76CS might have the same software similar to 60CS. AS the screen will be.

If you visit the software download page for the Garmin GPSMap 162 or 168, you'll see a link on the right side for "Download Recommended MapSource US Tides Software" (see download page here). As long as you have MapSource installed, you can download this software and it will get added to your list of available products in MapSource as "GPSMAP 162/168 Tide Points".

The next step is to download the Tide Points. This is just like any other map download from MapSource. Select the map sets and maps you want, including the Tide Points you want, and proceed with the download.

Once you have done this, your "Find" page will have an option for "Marine". Select it and you will see an icon for "Tide Station" in there. It works great on the 60CS; I'm not sure why they only present it for the 162 and 168.

Does anyone know if this works for the Vista?

I live in Texas and being that it is such a big state I decided to go with the 76CS for the extra memory. I also liked the fact that the unit comes with an auto-routable basemap. I must admit that I do like the way the 60CS looks. I am wondering though... since the 76CS is a bigger unit, could the antenna be larger than that in the 60CS??? This could mean a better satellite fix.

Edited by Mega Volt
I live in Texas and being that it is such a big state I decided to go with the 76CS for the extra memory. I also liked the fact that the unit comes with an auto-routable basemap. I must admit that I do like the way the 60CS looks. I am wondering though... since the 76CS is a bigger unit, could the antenna be larger than that in the 60CS??? This could mean a better satellite fix.

The 60c also has an auto-routable base map. As for antenna I highly doubt it. It's seems to be turning out that the 76c and 60c are the exact same units except one is physically larger and has a larger amount of memory also they chose to only provide the Geocache software on the 60c other then that I think they are identical in every other way.

I do not believe the 60CS has an Auto-routable base map. I am to understand that it only has auto-route capablities when loaded with City Select software. As I do not own a 60CS can someone who does please confirm.

you can auto route with the 60CS's basemap if what you want is in the data.

The 60C/CS does not have Americas Autoroute basemap. It has a less advanced basemap but if you are going to use Mapsource City Select then it does not really matter. The 76C/CS does have Americas Autoroute basemap just like the GPS V.

Edited by Loren Smith
Americas Autoroute Basemap:

This basemap comes factory installed with the BMW Motorcycles Navigator, StreetPilot III, StreetPilot 2610, StreetPilot 2650, GPS V, GPSMAP 196, GPSMAP 276C, GPSMAP 296, GPSMAP 76C, and GPSMAP 76CS.

Garmin mapping units come with built-in, permanent basemaps that cannot be altered. These basemaps come in a variety of global designations (i.e., Atlantic basemap). Please see your local dealer when purchasing a Garmin mapping unit to ensure that you are purchasing one with a basemap that's appropriate for your location and needs. Factory-installed basemaps cannot be altered.

The Americas Routable basemap includes the United States, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, and Central and South America, and covers an area from W180 to W30 Longitude, S60 to N72 Latitude. Also included is a high-level worldwide map with political boundaries and major cities.

standard map coverage includes:

Oceans, rivers, and lakes (greater than 30 sq. miles)

Principal cities and a small amount of smaller cities and towns

Major interstates and principal highways

Political boundaries (state and international borders)

Railroads

Major Airports

A. United States - In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

Small lakes, major streams, and rivers

Principal urban areas (including Alaska and Hawaii)

National- and State-level roads

Many local roads in or near urban areas

More detailed coastline

Airports

A database of exits for the Federal Interstate highway system. This includes many businesses within about ¼ mile of the exit, including: restaurants, diesel/gas, hotels/lodging, overnight RV parking, dumps, campgrounds, truckstops, medical facilities, shopping and outlet malls, ATMs, and many more attractions.

Tide stations

B. Alaska - In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

National- and State-level roads, plus some local roads in or near urban areas

Lakes greater than 5 square miles

Small cities and towns

Tide stations

C. Canada - In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

Lakes greater than 5 square miles (Southern Canada)

Lakes greater than 10 square miles (Central Canada)

D. Mexico, Central and South America

Standard Map Coverage

Edited by GOT GPS?
The 60C/CS does not have Americas Autoroute basemap. It has a less advanced basemap but if you are going to use Mapsource City Select then it does not really matter. The 76C/CS does have Americas Autoroute basemap just like the GPS V.

True but you can still auto-route using the standard basemap though it isn't all that detailed.