Red Satallites On Magellan Colour

Cushag

Must have a look sometime, Is there any advantage of using the advanced skyview picture? Lots of graph bars but not sure it makes much sense to me. Doc prefers to see the man "flying his kites".

Rev

I agree, there's not a lot of point in using the advanced option. The standard one gives you all the important information :

• Ready to navigate
  • Accuracy xx feet

What more do you want ??

Having said that, from a purely geeky ( :lol: ) point of view it's nice to know you're locked onto 8 satellites etc. . .

Apparantly the Garmin style GPSr's put a 'D' in the satellite strength bar on the 'advanced skyview' screen.

I'm not sure what an 'advanced skyview' is but the satellite strength bars on my Legend certainly have a 'D' in them when I managed to get a signal from the geostationary birds.

Apparantly the Garmin style GPSr's put a 'D' in the satellite strength bar on the 'advanced skyview' screen.

I'm not sure what an 'advanced skyview' is but the satellite strength bars on my Legend certainly have a 'D' in them when I managed to get a signal from the geostationary birds.

I think 'advanced skyview' is an option in the Geko series. By default it has a 'man flying his kites' as Doc puts it.

gekoViews.jpg

I don't know if the other Garmin's have this 'simplified' view ?

Our old yellow etrex couldnt do the advanced view, but I downloaded new software (or is it firmware? as assume it goes in ROM) from Garmin site and can switch between by briefly pressing the "enter" when in normal skyview, which provides a menu to scroll through and select. To get back to normal from advanced same thing, just press enter select which option. Dont hold the enter button for long or the GPSr will think you want to mark the location.

As the normal already says accuracy to xxft still dont see that great an advantage.

Rev

Advanced Sky View, shows the position of the satellites to the GPSr. The centre of the inner circle is the position of the GPSr, to obtain the best accuracy you want the satellites around the edge of the outer circle. It lets you see if you are only picking up satellites from one side, decreasing accuracy. And acts as a guide to get into a better position for satellite reception. I've got to admit that I never bother with the page, just follow the Go To arrow, and when close use the cache spotting tools (the kids :lol: ).

Dave.

I definitely use the advanced skyview. Sometimes there is an obstruction blocking that vital satellite. If you just move a little, you can then get a good signal. It all depends where they are in the sky at the time.

An interesting exercise (if you're sad, like me) is to tilt the gps so the patch antenna points to a specific satellite. You can watch its strength rise. As you turn it away, the strength drops on that one and rises on the new satellite you're pointing at.

The antenna 'points' in the same direction as a line coming straight out of the screen. So if you're reading the screen dead flat on, then the antenna is pointing at you.

Cheers,

Stu

;) Just a quick question..what with all this talk of satellites----How many of the things are there actually up there?

32 regular GPS satellites, and I'm not sure how many WAAS or EGNOS birds there are, maybe another half dozen. Sounds like a lot! But when you space 32 small specks out across the sky there are BIG gaps between them :D

I think the orbits are such that wherever you are at any time on the Earth there will always be at least 6 above the horizon. I've never seen less than 8 on my GPSr at any one time.